• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Tune experience?

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Now that I have a couple thousand or so miles with my 2015 Eco-Diesel - and it's transmission - I'm curious about the Pros and Cons of transmission tuning. I may need to go into my owner's manual to learn a bit more, but so far my only complaint would be that it seems to downshift to a lower gear a little too soon when I encounter slight inclines or maybe when I need to put some "pedal" into it. AND...when I thumb the "gear+", it...ignores me. : - )

No serious towing duties yet - just my big landscape trailer with the Ferris. I will note that I did a round trip with a couple dirt bikes in the bed - over fairly flat territory - and observed 26+ mpg. I just giggle to myself.

Anyway - your experience with these kinda tunes ( I haven't asked GDE if they are still offering theirs...) is appreciated. I DO understand they would impact my warranty, but even curious as to how detectable they would be/are, if you can speak to that.

Last edited:

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
if u r doing heavy towing I would say go for it or drag racing but for riding around don't waste your money my opinion it is the engine tune that gives the stumble when u pull out into traffic

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
Does anyone have any details to offer on the effects of transmission tunes, either GDE or SFT? I have a 2015 with approx 50K miles on it and recently 'fell' for that ridiculous FCA/EPA AEM tune so now I'm searching for anything that will help me out of this mess! I do pull a 5K lb. travel trailer for a few months of the year but that won't be for a few months yet this year so I'm hoping to get my truck back to somewhere near 'normal' before then. Thanks

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
John, thanks for the link. I've read all the info at their website but it doesn't provide any details about the TT regarding what will actually be different from stock. I was interested in hearing from users of either the SFT or GDE transmission tunes about what to expect regarding shift points, dowshifting, and fuel economy after installing the tune. Especially when in 'Tow Mode' and pulling a trailer. Best,

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, thanks for the link. I've read all the info at their website but it doesn't provide any details about the TT regarding what will actually be different from stock. I was interested in hearing from users of either the SFT or GDE transmission tunes about what to expect regarding shift points, dowshifting, and fuel economy after installing the tune. Especially when in 'Tow Mode' and pulling a trailer. Best,
I suggest you call or email SFT with your questions

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
Also, the comment above from Ronald that the SFT tune "gets it to upshift sooner" concerns me as one of the aggravating factors in crankshaft bearing failure in these engines is excessive loading at low RPM. So it would seem that keeping the RPM up in high load circumstances would be better, not for fuel economy necessarily but for engine longevity.

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
John, I e-mailed them several days ago but have yet to receive a reply and was hoping to hear something from them while the tunes are on sale. If I haven't heard from them by Sunday I'll call them Monday, the day the sale ends. Thanks