• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck makes shuttering noise

Zach G

Apr 30, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Eco. My truck sometimes shutters when shifting, mostly from 2nd to 3rd gear, but occasionally other times as well and seems like it is getting more frequent. The dealer has tried to replicate the problem multiple times but was never able to do so. The last time I took it in I emailed the service advisor a few videos that I had taken while driving when it happened. They kept it overnight and said that it was just boost escaping the turbo? That seem right? My warranty is going to run out soon and I'm worried right after it does, I will have a major issue to deal with.

Link to google photos with 4 videos

Last edited:

ED2016

Nov 19, 2020
Truck Year
Hey Zach,
What is your milage ? how often you tow ? what do you tow? do you have a lift kit ?
There could be any of the following reasons (Amongst other reasons ):
1) Transmission oil needs to be changed - Check ZF website-
2) CV Joints
Is there any common circumestances (Transmission temp ? , Coolant temp? ) when it is shuddering more than other times
When was the last time you have replaced ZF Transmission oil and pan/filter ? What oil specification & how many liters was used to fill in transmission ?

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I doubt this is trans related but likely something related to how the engine runs.
Has it been happening before it's fully warmed up? Of course can't "feel" anything in a video to properly troubleshoot

Zach G

Apr 30, 2019
Truck Year
Mileage is just over 40K. Don't tow very often and when I do its a fairly small camper trailer, about 3,000lbs. No lift kit but I replaced the stock 275/60R20 Goodyear Wranglers that came on it with Cooper Discoverer AT3's 275/65R20. All scheduled services have been done by the dealership. It happens more often when cold, but I usually let me truck warm up a few minutes before driving and at least 5 min if its in the 30s or below. It does occasionally happen even after I having been driving and engine/transmission are fully warmed up. I'll start paying attention to transmission temp. I haven't replaced the ZF transmission oil, or pan/filter. The truck does lose power when the shutter happens. I either accelerate and it will downshift or I can let off the throttle and it will stop.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
No codes coming up though? Egr recall done? Have you ever looked at MAP sensor? Worth clearing those periodically. These puppies like being run good and hot to keep things clean and healthy

ED2016

Nov 19, 2020
Truck Year
I just saw your posted videos, It sounds something is loose and vibrates when pressure changes ( RPM goes from 2K+ down to 1.5K) , I would start to check for anything loose on the path of Air intake on Engine air filter/ housing, clamps, EGR, ... then move to turbo and exhaust pipe path
Also check under passenger side there is a exhaust flange with 3 nuts and bolts just where DEF injector is - those 3 nuts notoriously gets baked and rust and falls apart, then melts DEF injector too. check all 3 nuts ...

Zach G

Apr 30, 2019
Truck Year
No codes and yes I had the recall done. Have not looked at the MAP sensor but will check it out.

Zach G

Apr 30, 2019
Truck Year
ED2016 I will take a look at all of that too, thanks