• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck wont start after oil change

Holychit

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
While doing the oil change my son went to turn on the radio while waiting for the oil to finish draining Instead of hitting the start button for acc to turn the radio on he hit the brake and the radio like to start it. The motor never turned over. (I was standing next to the bumper) I heard a click and didnt think anything of it. Now it wont start and no error message on dash. It doesnt do anything when you go to start. I just see the oil pressure gauge go up then straight back to zero. Any suggestions?

John

Nov 13, 2015
If it was in the run position (engine off) and the radio turned on, it's possible the battery was drained enough that the voltage is too low to spin the starter. Do the headlights work?

Holychit

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
If it was in the run position (engine off) and the radio turned on, it's possible the battery was drained enough that the voltage is too low to spin the starter. Do the headlights work?
Battery is reading good. I checked it too.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Was that with the hood open? Just curious if the push button starts might need the hood completely latched. The keyed version one you can manually start with the hood open but not remote start

John

Nov 13, 2015
Did you by any chance hit the 250A main power fuse on the battery terminal. It's been known to happen when removing the oil filter with a ratchet. If you did it would be pretty obvious.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Starter relay? Starter? Might just be a freak coincidence you were changing the oil. I remember reading somewhere there’s a big molex plug for the wiring harnesss on the transmission cross member that can cause a no start because salt and sand get in it and cause corrosion.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
You didn't indicate if you had the hood shut.
Does anyone know if these trucks start with the hood open if you have pushbutton start/stop?

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Ok, that's good, but it could be looking like a possible connection problem. Did you bump any harness while trying to replace oil filter?

Holychit

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
Are you still doing night shift?
Updates?
Ya battery tested out good on multi meter, but I took it to have it tested. All fuses are good including the ones on the battery post. Hood shut and latched didnt do it either. I'm giving up and taking to the dealer monday.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Ya battery tested out good on multi meter, but I took it to have it tested. All fuses are good including the ones on the battery post. Hood shut and latched didnt do it either. I'm giving up and taking to the dealer monday.
Did you check the harness on the frame rail?

xpapax

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year
While doing the oil change my son went to turn on the radio while waiting for the oil to finish draining Instead of hitting the start button for acc to turn the radio on he hit the brake and the radio like to start it. The motor never turned over. (I was standing next to the bumper) I heard a click and didnt think anything of it. Now it wont start and no error message on dash. It doesnt do anything when you go to start. I just see the oil pressure gauge go up then straight back to zero. Any suggestions?

Is it clicking when you try to start? I had an issue with mine once where it wouldnt start; there was a click when you tried (solenoid would click) but it would not turn over. I ended up calling roadside to tow from my driveway but before they could arrive I went out to record what it was doing and it started. Reading on one of the other forums others have had this issue, some have managed to get it to the shop and end up getting the starter replaced, others are the same as me and it sort of went away after a few tries (mine was maybe 10). It is like the starter motor get hung up in a spot