• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune installed but too late. EGR is leaking. Now What?

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
I'll try not to run on with this. Long story short. I got a tune to delete the EGR "in place". I don't want to physically delete it because I have the extended warranty for another 50,000 miles/5years, Didn't get to it soon enough. It's losing coolant. So my question is can I partially delete the cooler by pulling the injector tube and just putting in the block off plates in those places? My hope is to get the new EGR in then it should last for awhile when it's turned off and can be left installed. Thoughts?

Appreciate all comments.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Yes the block off plates will prevent coolant from entering the engine but it will dump into the exhaust

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Uninstall your tune, take the truck in for warranty repairs, (insist they clean the intake manifold if you can) get truck back and reinstall the tune.

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
Uninstall your tune, take the truck in for warranty repairs, (insist they clean the intake manifold if you can) get truck back and reinstall the tune.
Their (Dealerships) version of the warranty repair is "We are waiting on the parts. Just keep the coolant level up and we'll put you on the list"

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Seems like you have 3 choices.
1:Uninstall the tune, wait for the parts (like others are doing) get it repaired then reinstall tune. Safest and will maintain warranty

2: full delete and lose all warranty (unless you put it back when parts become available)

3: go with dealers recommendation

all 3 options have pros and cons

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
Seems like you have 3 choices.
1:Uninstall the tune, wait for the parts (like others are doing) get it repaired then reinstall tune. Safest and will maintain warranty

2: full delete and lose all warranty (unless you put it back when parts become available)

3: go with dealers recommendation

all 3 options have pros and cons
You are right. I have the skills to fully delete and back if I want but it looks like a pain in the ass with the possibility of busted bolts on the exhaust flange. At this point I think I will just leave the tune in place and reduce the amount of driving I do with the truck. Luckily I have a second vehicle to use for now. Thanks for the voice of reason.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You are right. I have the skills to fully delete and back if I want but it looks like a pain in the ass with the possibility of busted bolts on the exhaust flange. At this point I think I will just leave the tune in place and reduce the amount of driving I do with the truck. Luckily I have a second vehicle to use for now. Thanks for the voice of reason.

Since I am tuned I have given your scenario quite a bit of thought. I am keeping my eye on my coolant, checking my oil, and keeping things monitored. I would be choosing option #1 if I were in your shoes as I also have other transportation options.