• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo flutter noise and turbo bark

Flamesfan1973

Aug 1, 2021
Truck Year
Hi everyone,

Here is the latest with my 2014.
Have the stage 2 delete and tune and right after I got truck back, noticed the whoosh sound or something like that when I took my foot off the pedal after bit of hard accelerate. Then started to notice a fluttering sound, like when you bend a deck of cards and allow it it hit the finger when they straighten. I couldn't figure the noise until doing 115km/h up a slight grade and took my foot off the pedal and the flutter stopped and the whoosh noise happened.
This didn't happen all the time and I forgot about the flutter. The whoosh was constant and was told its normal.
Now, couple weeks back the flutter returned and such. Still didn't know what, but no affect on performance.
So took trailer out camping and truck towed like a dream. Still has whoosh and flutter bur nothing crazy.
Coming home yesterday noticed flutter much loader and whoosh not really different. 20kms from home, engine started to sound slightly louder, but no more flutter and no more whoosh. Performance has not changed at all. No lights, nothing at all. Going to take it to the shop next week and see.
Anyone have any idea.
Trailer weight was about 6500lbs and egt temp didn't exceed 1300F, and was around 950 to 1000 on the flats.
Thanks for any input.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I too get the whirring sound when decelerating, assuming it’s the vgt vanes closing on the turbo, also around 55-65 mph I get your described sound. Very prevalent when I’m pulling a trailer. I discovered mine very similarly coming back from nj with 3k enclosed trailer. The only thing I did since the delete was removed the engine foam covers so I started going off that last change…

So I came to the conclusion on mine, it’s related to the elbow on the intercooler pipe leaving the turbo hopping up and down while driving and thus letting boost escape. When I replaced my intercooler pipes with aem, I could see the blow by from the gasket on this elbow. I adjusted it and it got much better, but if I lay in it real hard around 50+ mph it’s still there slightly.

I’ve been meaning to try to find a replacement elbow or gasket, but I’ve just learned if I don’t wanna hear it, turn the radio up or don’t ask for as much throttle. I hope this gives you a starting point!