• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo upgrade

Nate247m

Oct 12, 2019
Truck Year
Has anyone upgraded their turbo to help with spool time, EGT, & increase HP?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
with a good tune these time bomb engines r at the limits already. but they do sell twin turbos for the eco

Nate247m

Oct 12, 2019
Truck Year
I have had one since 2014 with no issues, but it was deleted within a year of purchase. I have already turned the trans & ECU, upgraded the intercooler, & the oil cooler so that it’s separate from the engine coolant. The twin turbo is WAY too much for these engines. That’s why I just wanted to upgrade the turbo when/if I upgrade the intake manifold.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Yes a higher than acceptable percent of these engines fail prior to their 100k than should. From what I’ve seen & read perhaps around 4 percent instead of 1/2 percent. That said I don’t agree with them being a time bomb engine. 371,000 when I had a head gasket fail from overheating due to low coolant from the EGR cooler leak.

Engine never actually failed and people may foolishly abuse an engine worse but likely none are worked harder than that one was daily towing high drag loads. 232k on this one same duty cycle. Green diesel had a stock location turbo that would do around 330 HP.

Nate247m

Oct 12, 2019
Truck Year
Yes a higher than acceptable percent of these engines fail prior to their 100k than should. From what I’ve seen & read perhaps around 4 percent instead of 1/2 percent. That said I don’t agree with them being a time bomb engine. 371,000 when I had a head gasket fail from overheating due to low coolant from the EGR cooler leak.

Engine never actually failed and people may foolishly abuse an engine worse but likely none are worked harder than that one was daily towing high drag loads. 232k on this one same duty cycle. Green diesel had a stock location turbo that would do around 330 HP.

I have almost 100k on my other ED with no problems. GDE isn’t selling theirs anymore because it required their hot tune which they can no longer sell thanks to the EPA ruling. All of the “add a turbo” kits are more than the engine & trans could reliably handle. No one seems to offer a direct replacement for the turbo.

Jongonzales008

Mar 3, 2020
Truck Year
I have had one since 2014 with no issues, but it was deleted within a year of purchase. I have already turned the trans & ECU, upgraded the intercooler, & the oil cooler so that it’s separate from the engine coolant. The twin turbo is WAY too much for these engines. That’s why I just wanted to upgrade the turbo when/if I upgrade the intake manifold.
Nate,
Where did you get your intercooler and oil cooler? I’m looking to do the same but not sure where to look

Nate247m

Oct 12, 2019
Truck Year
Nate,
Where did you get your intercooler and oil cooler? I’m looking to do the same but not sure where to look

I got mine through CFT Performance. They offer them separately or as a package. I bought them at the same time. It is a very high quality product & comes with everything needed to install. You will have to delete the active shutter behind the grill. I made my own from a “L” bracket that I cut down. Look up active shutter delete on YouTube. They are simple to make.

Jongonzales008

Mar 3, 2020
Truck Year
I got mine through CFT Performance. They offer them separately or as a package. I bought them at the same time. It is a very high quality product & comes with everything needed to install. You will have to delete the active shutter behind the grill. I made my own from a “L” bracket that I cut down. Look up active shutter delete on YouTube. They are simple to make.
Right on! Thanks brother

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
With “race” version or setting of a tune you can get about 60 HP out of the stock turbo & injectors or 300 HP total. You need an Edge monitor with it at this level to watch your EGTs to be safe.

Light speed, HD diesel supply, and SKT (lol Sofa King Tuned) all still sell tunes for the Ecodiesel. One company claimed at this setting 130 foot pounds of torque. That would be 530 TQ. Our version of this transmission is rated to 520 TQ so it would likely handle the torque as well.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Vern,
I have an Edge and I monitor EGTs 1 thru 4. Can I pick your brain?
1-Which one is the most critical?
2-Which one/s is measuring at the exhaust manifold/s?

I have researched and got different opinions. Thought maybe you would know.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
John I don’t know. I don’t personally have a 60 HP tune or the EDGE monitor. Corey at PPEI did the 60/130 race tune and could tell you. US based he got pinched the same time GDE did but he has phone chat & email contact info on his site. I bet he could tell you exactly off the top of his head. I know the ED will safely take due to specific component materials higher EGT temps & longer than common older diesels or conventional info but don’t know the specifics.

Banks knows but won’t help anyone. Brokenbutgood, Haul n grass, and Hydrex off the other forum might also know if you PM them. Well and naturally Kazimoto :)

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks Vern

Foxracingx02

Sep 13, 2019
Truck Year
I have an upgraded intercooler, all 3in lines, banks intake, custom grabbed 3in down pipe straight out at the back of the cab, and intake, crank case to atmosphere dump tube. With 0,20,40,60,80 sotf tunes, and my egts are never close to a problem. Everyone gives the Eco to much shit. It is a complicated finiky engine but smart. That's why it's tricky because there are so many safeguards programmed in so it won't hurt itself. And from what I've read injectors are good for 400hp. It has a very strong block and heavy bottom end, alot comes down to maintenance. Alot of first time diesel buyers, it's a learning curve. But I love this truck, amazing girl mileage, drives and feels like a 2500 series but drink like it a Honda Civic and fits in the garage, and we get great interior packages because it's a 1500 for the price, look at the Ford under it and all around. It's a lightweight, this ram is a real truck.