• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Uh oh. New ticking noise. Any knowledge is helpful.

mr_picot

Dec 7, 2021
Truck Year
Hi there, I am new to this forum. My 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel (deleted) just shut off on me while in park. I was in the middle of the field and it was about -20*c. I tried starting it and it struggled pretty hard and the started for a second and then shut off. I had not put additives in fuel yet for cold weather at this point. Towed it to my garage and let it warm up for 4 hours. Tried starting again and it took about 10 seconds of cranking and then it started and stayed started. I assumed the fuel was gel. Added an additive to help with moisture and gelling. Shook the truck a bunch and left it over night. Started it the next day and it started better but still a tad rough. Ran it for a bit and noticed a loud ticking I didn't hear before. Sound like it is coming from passenger side upper area of engine between engine and air filter housing. Not sure where it is coming from exactly. I have a video uploaded on youtube as well if you want to give it a listen.

any advice or knowledge would be very helpful.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
That’s your cp4 high pressure fuel pump ticking… it doesn’t sound all that great but the video could be making it worse. Mine also ticks to an extent. If you take a piece of wood and rest it against the pump you can probably feel it in your hands bumping when it ticks. CF12E882-7713-4849-B3E0-B5B9037288DE.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
CP4 do not tick, they are silent pumpers, the tick is resonating from some other source... When CP3/CP4s tick in almost all cases it explodes in seconds.

mr_picot

Dec 7, 2021
Truck Year
CP4 do not tick, they are silent pumpers, the tick is resonating from some other source... When CP3/CP4s tick in almost all cases it explodes in seconds.
That is insane. Lots of people seem to think they tick. So many videos and forums where people think this. What do you think it could be then? Is there a common issue with this ticking?

mr_picot

Dec 7, 2021
Truck Year
That’s your cp4 high pressure fuel pump ticking… it doesn’t sound all that great but the video could be making it worse. Mine also ticks to an extent. If you take a piece of wood and rest it against the pump you can probably feel it in your hands bumping when it ticks. View attachment 3596
Thanks for the info? Has yours always sounded like that or did it just up and start at a particular moment like mine?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Honestly mines had a tick as long as I can remember and when I go to that corner I hear it. It’s more prevalent when it’s cold. When I’m on the drivers side it’s not as noticeable.

mr_picot

Dec 7, 2021
Truck Year
Honestly mines had a tick as long as I can remember and when I go to that corner I hear it. It’s more prevalent when it’s cold. When I’m on the drivers side it’s not as noticeable.
is yours as loud as the video i posted? that was the sound in my garage at +17*c