• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

kbecker

Oct 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hi I am new to this forum. Wanted to let you all know I emailed the attorney about my 2015 ecodiesel about the performance issues after the reflash. I am disappointed in the fact that the agreement said there would be no noticeable changes in performance due to the software change. I hope that if FCA cannot correct this with a software update, the court will force them to make it right. I bought this truck because I wanted a regular cab with a 8ft bed with the diesel engine. It seems none of the truck makers are going to make that combination at this point so I am kind of stuck. I wonder if the new diesel engine would work in the older trucks.

ctmdr

Oct 27, 2019
Truck Year
I have had the same issues. I had the up date done in May and have since been in many situations where I have almost been t boned or rear ended with sluggish acceleration or just sits as i put more pressure on the accelerator pedal while pulling out. Becomes real unsettling.
2014 jeep GC limited. Eecod

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Barney, it is interesting that you mention this. I am wondering if this setup just needs to be running for awhile as the computers on this truck do take some time to make final adjustments based on driving conditions. I am also thinking that is what is happening. I had my truck running like crap and now it seems to be much better. I know they sent out an update to the radio a week or so ago. After that my truck is not great but better than it had been. I was ready to dump this thing but now i am second guessing. I am waiting for my 3k and i have my eye on another Laramie 2020 with the hemi motor. So we shall see.
Interesting observations. I had the AEM update done in early June and have experienced zero improvement in performance over time - still drives like a total sluggo when the engine is cold. Haven't driven in enough cold weather to see if I notice any change in performance...but winter is coming fast. My worry is the engine will take longer to warm up in the cold weather and prolong the duration of the "dead throttle". This morning I experienced perhaps the worst throttle delay yet trying to pull out of my neighborhood - had to throw the truck into reverse to keep from getting T-boned (thankfully no one was behind me)...beginning to despise this truck...sooooooo frustrating!

I give you kudos for your loyalty in considering buying another Laramie. I have a very low tolerance for lies and deceit. Unless FCA does something significant to reverse the performance problems they created with this AEM recall (not holding my breath) this will be my last Chrysler product...

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
So now that we are at the first of November, any more updates on a fix? For us Californians, is the sofaking software fix still viable, then reflash prior to services/smog check? Unfortunately, my vehicle was in today for oil change/service (2015 jgc 50k miles), and software update. Didn't stumble on to forum until after shop manager told me I will notice performance issues.

It is still in the shop as they said the regen which is part of the recall/update is not taking. They tried 3 times and are waiting on a response from the Chrysler tech team. So probably won't have it back until early next week. This does not bode well for me I think.

Lancer

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
Barney, it is interesting that you mention this. I am wondering if this setup just needs to be running for awhile as the computers on this truck do take some time to make final adjustments based on driving conditions. I am also thinking that is what is happening. I had my truck running like crap and now it seems to be much better. I know they sent out an update to the radio a week or so ago. After that my truck is not great but better than it had been. I was ready to dump this thing but now i am second guessing. I am waiting for my 3k and i have my eye on another Laramie 2020 with the hemi motor. So we shall see.

Lancer

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel the pickup itself I love but the emission crap is nothing but problems it's been in the shop every week to 2 weeks after that stupid recall back in July! How's yours running by now? My engine light just came on today again I got it back from the shop last Thursday it was there Monday thru Thursday it's been 1 week 2 days and it has to go back!

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
So just trying to think of options here. Is it possible to buy a second ecm to install a gde or Sofaking tune onto, then just swap in the origional ecm when you need to go in for service or smog? I know the sofaking is done via OBD2 and so every time you restore original it adds to the flash count (might catch up to you if they void warranty which limits buy back options if shit keeps going south).

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
So just trying to think of options here. Is it possible to buy a second ecm to install a gde or Sofaking tune onto, then just swap in the origional ecm when you need to go in for service or smog? I know the sofaking is done via OBD2 and so every time you restore original it adds to the flash count (might catch up to you if they void warranty which limits buy back options if shit keeps going south).
If you live in US. GDE is not allowed at this point to sell to US. That was going to be my option.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel the pickup itself I love but the emission crap is nothing but problems it's been in the shop every week to 2 weeks after that stupid recall back in July! How's yours running by now? My engine light just came on today again I got it back from the shop last Thursday it was there Monday thru Thursday it's been 1 week 2 days and it has to go back!
Hey if i were you i would call FCA and get the address for top care at FCA. That is all i can say. Write a letter to them and let them know what is happening.

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
Just wondering if FCA "Top Care" responds any better than the Ecodiesel hotline, the Ram dealers, the NHTSA, or the attorneys that are representing us? I have reached out to all and gotten zero satisfaction and near-zero response. Do you think a few of us will have to be in serious accidents before FCA takes any responsibility?

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
Just wondering if FCA "Top Care" responds any better than the Ecodiesel hotline, the Ram dealers, the NHTSA, or the attorneys that are representing us? I have reached out to all and gotten zero satisfaction and near-zero response. Do you think a few of us will have to be in serious accidents before FCA takes any responsibility?aI
i reached out and i got a response. reach out if you are having an issue. i am unable to give you full details but do it. They are responsive and will help.

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
ramraiders, did you get anything done to improve your truck as a result of contacting top care? I had another near miss yesterday trying to tow a small load out of my driveway and if FCA has a solution they should be getting it out there.

bequianeo1

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
i reached out and i got a response. reach out if you are having an issue. i am unable to give you full details but do it. They are responsive and will help.
I have opened 3 buyback cases keep getting closed. called all the hotlines. lawyers have sent my case to
FCA’s counsel
. 40 + hours of e-mails and phone calls. nothing but the run around.

Last edited:

bequianeo1

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
I couldn't pass a semi truck going up hill. Got most of the way around with the pedal all the way down ( no load). oncoming vehicle and semi had to slow down.

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
anyone tried the banks derringer tune after the aem update? does it help with the turbo lag?

Howie713

Sep 22, 2019
Truck Year
I called a couple weeks ago. After another close call because the truck refused to accelerate. They took notes and they said we will pass along the info. I have heard nothing back. I am very late to the game I bought my truck back in February and had no clue any of this was going on. Until I took it in and was told I needed to do this EPA recall.

Howie713

Sep 22, 2019
Truck Year
I was just going to ask about how the sofa king is done with emissions. Do you have to reflash it back to stock for it to pass emissions??

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
ramraiders, did you get anything done to improve your truck as a result of contacting top care? I had another near miss yesterday trying to tow a small load out of my driveway and if FCA has a solution they should be getting it out there.
They did nothing to improve the truck (their hands are tied) but they did try to help me get into a new truck. Also, I have been using since I bought my truck all of the hotshot fuel additives. Diesel extreme and the straight hotshot fuel additive. In the last three weeks, my truck is running almost back to normal. I am not sure if the computers need some time to resync but i know my truck is running much better. Not 100 percent but enough that i am not annoyed every time I drive it. Definitely not the same power but better. Calling customer service is not going to do anything. They are dumber than a sack of hammers. You need to send a letter to top care.

Bobcope399

Nov 6, 2019
Truck Year
Hello,

I had the Emissions Recall updated 5/31/19 and am disappointed. The Performance is sluggish, shift points changed and shifts a little harder. Hills that required no downshifts before are requiring downshifts to 7th gear some as low as 5th. DO NOT get the update. Dealer cannot help, I have logged a complaint with Ram!
It's garbage after the emission modifications update, hesitation from a stop, I hope another lawsuit is filed, and my fuel economy dropped by at least 4 mpg.

Bobcope399

Nov 6, 2019
Truck Year
Just had my emissions recall done a few days ago as well on my RAM Limited. Got suckered like others into thinking it was the right thing to do. Also, everything I read said "Performance, Drivability etc would not be impacted"...What a crock! I am having the same side effect as others - zero acceleration from a stop for 2-3 seconds. What I have noticed is that it seems very much related to engine temperature. When the engine is below 150 degrees the acceleration is terrible and downright dangerous (old ladies with a cane could walk faster). Over ~ 150 degrees and the performance improves. It seems they have added significant governing on the acceleration when the engine is below a certain temp. As others noted the dealer just washed their hands of it, claimed they couldn't do anything and gave me a recall complaint number to call...big frigging deal...they didn't have a clue either

Does anyone know what legitimate recourse we have? They have turned my truck into a $60K piece of crap!
I feel the same way, I had the emission modifications update and now it runs like shit, my fuel mileage dropped by at least 4 mpg and the acceleration is downright dangerous. I hope another lawsuit is filed, this is bullshit. I paid in the high 40's for a piece of shit! Not happy!!!!