• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

needgeech

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
If I were you I would complete the emission update, collect the refund and go get it tuned. But it would leave you out of any further actions taken against FCA in this matter after signing the release from. I think there's more to come, these are just my though's.
Since the AEM was pretty much done anyways, I guess I could have the AEM completed, get it tuned, and hold off on the agreement/refund for a year or so to see what happens. I can't imagine the 2018's drive like these now do. It's scary until it warms up (even in TX summer) and just bad after that. Makes you wonder, as speculation at first was to just replace it with the 2018's software. . . and they obviously went way overboard instead. . .so are their 2017-2018's toeing the emissions line so close that they were afraid to draw attention to the 2018 ECM?

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
No DEF but have to keep fluid in there so the nozzles don't plug up. Was told I could use distilled water until my smog check and have to go back to all the smog goodies that make my truck run so well.

Let us know how that turns out in 6 months or so. We have found that is the DEF is turned off for an extended time, it will not turn back on without many codes and expensive parts.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Let us know how that turns out in 6 months or so. We have found that is the DEF is turned off for an extended time, it will not turn back on without many codes and expensive parts.
I had GDE tune EGR shut off and used distilled water for 2 years. Changed from GDE to SFT and in between the change went back to the stock tune and did not experience any of what you described as, " it will not turn back on without many codes and expensive parts."

cuda9162

Feb 15, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks for all the information. Had the AEM done also. Yes the truck will now not get out of its own way when cold. Towed a trailer up to Mt. Shasta this past week. Done this twice before no real issues. This past week was not fun. Had to keep it floored to stay at speed limit 55mph. never had that problem before. All trips were in similar temps of high 90's. Will be filing complaint with NHTSA. Thanks again for info.

Eco Bob

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
ack Your Claim
Claim Under Review
Your claim has been successfully submitted and will now be reviewed to make sure it is complete. We will contact you if we need any further information. Once we confirm your submission is complete, we will determine your eligibility.
Claim Number:

Claim submitted
HourGlass.jfif
Document Package Complete
this is as far as I have gotten. It seems like I am stalled here. Itryed tocall this #1-833-280-4748 and cannot get through. Anybody else having the same problem?

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
I had GDE tune EGR shut off and used distilled water for 2 years. Changed from GDE to SFT and in between the change went back to the stock tune and did not experience any of what you described as, " it will not turn back on without many codes and expensive parts."
Just curious why did you change from GDE to SFT? Why back to stock in between??

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Just curious why did you change from GDE to SFT? Why back to stock in between??

I'm in Califunny where GDE is banned and they can't/won/t support the tune. Found SFT can sell in Califunny and their tunes are cheaper than GDE and they install via the OBDII port - a no brainer for me!

Was stock in between because I was going to get the AEM flash after selling my GDE and before installing the SFT. With all the troubles being experienced with the AEM flash plus rumors of a new AEM flash maybe in the works, I decided to wait on the AEM and proceed with the SFT

Can only wait until March, 2020 because Califunny won't re-register without AEM proof.

14LonestarECD

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
I'll file a complaint to, but what I hate more than anything about this whole mess is if FCA would have sold this truck with the way it runs after the updated emissions they would not have sold one truck. Its sad to think FCA excepts us ECO owners to take this laying down. I think we need to start a new law suit but you know it took 3 years for this law suit to come to fruition another 3 years and our trucks will be worth nothing. Maybe this is what their hoping for, I don't know if taking the 3075.00 is the right thing to do because as soon as you sign the release from, you can do nothing. I've filled out all the paper work but I don't think I'm going to send it in right now, I want to see what comes next. I'm hoping maybe they can't sell the New ECO Diesel truck until they settle with the ones already out there maybe hoping for to much but we'll see. I hear the new diesel won't be called ECO but Diesel HO (High Output) but that's just what I heard.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 17-18 Ecodiesels have this tune from the factory? If so why don't we hear anything coming from them concerning turbo lag and sluggishness of their ram? I test drove a 2018 before buying my 2014 Ecodiesel and actually made a comment to my wife that it really feels kind of under powered. Also commented that its not mine so I'm not really pushing it. At the time I was trading in my 2009 f350 powerstroke. The 2014 I currently drive with the original tune feels great. I've decided that I will continue with the AEM process and immediately buy a tune from SFT or GDE.

14LonestarECD

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
ack Your Claim
Claim Under Review
Your claim has been successfully submitted and will now be reviewed to make sure it is complete. We will contact you if we need any further information. Once we confirm your submission is complete, we will determine your eligibility.
Claim Number:

Claim submitted
HourGlass.jfif
Document Package Complete
this is as far as I have gotten. It seems like I am stalled here. Itryed tocall this #1-833-280-4748 and cannot get through. Anybody else having the same problem?
That's as far as I've gotten as well. I will try calling tomorrow.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year

John, You misread our comment. He was asking about DEF. We never turned DEF system off in your vehicle. It was always dosing, even if you put water in it (the is a cleaning agent for urea). It seems the tune Steve has is disabling the DEF and that could pose issues down the road if left inert for a long time. Thanks

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
^^^ they are selling illegally in CA. The legal way is to get an EO (executive order) to sell aftermarket parts. We found this out when CARB came knocking on our door. An expensive lessen for us. CARB will find those selling illegally given time.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, You misread our comment. He was asking about DEF. We never turned DEF system off in your vehicle. It was always dosing, even if you put water in it (the is a cleaning agent for urea). It seems the tune Steve has is disabling the DEF and that could pose issues down the road if left inert for a long time. Thanks

Thanks for your response. This old brain didn't comprehend properly, gets me in trouble every now and then.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thinking about GDE's question of Stevei, "Is your DEF system still active in your new tune?"
And Stevei's answer, "No DEF but have to keep fluid in there so the nozzles don't plug up."
GDE interpreted Stevei's answer as meaning DEF is not active.
I also have SFT's tune and DEF is active so I asked Jimmy (SFT) what about Stevei's tune?
Here is Jimmy's reply:

Yes DEF is turned on and you will use more DEF fluid because the EGR function is disabled. However, we allow you to use distilled water in the system in order to prevent the nozzle from clogging. This keeps all the normal emissions equipment functioning properly so there's no need for repair or replacement later down the road.

Bottom line is DEF is active with the SFT tune.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
^^Scary stuff there, overdosing will lead to other issues. Looking forward to the long term feedback a year from now. Keep in mind, we have been working with these engines since their inception back in 2005 on the Cadillac. Bad things happen to the SCR substrate with overdosing.

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
^^^ they are selling illegally in CA. The legal way is to get an EO (executive order) to sell aftermarket parts. We found this out when CARB came knocking on our door. An expensive lessen for us. CARB will find those selling illegally given time.
Do you have a EO to sell aftermarket parts in Ca. now ?

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Do you have a EO to sell aftermarket parts in Ca. now ?

Last time we checked, CARB was not accepting applications for an EO on the ecodiesel due to EPA lawsuit. They should start opening it up later this year as that suit just got finalized.

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
Had my 2016 EcoDiesel updated a couple weeks back. Performance so bad that I took it back to the dealership within a day and told them to fix it or at least remove the flash update. They stated that once updated, they could not undo it. Having same "life-safety" issues of significant turbo-lag, poor performance and hesitant shifts as other posters in this forum! I really like ("liked") this truck and was so pleased with its performance after I ordered it directly from the factory - just the way I wanted it. Previously had a Ford F150 which I kept to 300k miles . . . it was a great truck and owed me no apologies (but hated the fuel mileage). The EcoDiesel Ram was the perfect solution . . . great torque and fuel economy!

Now after two weeks at the dealership repair shop, they've replaced my complete fuel system (stated the pump was "shredding" metal into the system . . . so replace the tank, pump, piping and filter). Picked it up this afternoon and got a half mile down the road and turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They stated it now performs just like the 2017 EcoDiesel (which did not fall under the recall mandate) . . . so I asked to drive one. Sure enough, the 2017 EcoDiesel was just as sluggish and poor performing as my "updated" 2016! To say I'm "unhappy" would be an understatement! It is truly a "life-safety" hazard now with it's pathetic performance!

Been reading this forum and similar experiences with the recall impact. Very curious about the GDE and SofaKing solutions? I live in northern California, but have a daughter in Reno. I gather that the GDE would be the better solution if I can get it (i.e. shipped to Nevada)? Or is the SofaKing solution just as good and I should have it shipped directly to my place in California? Do both solutions address both the acceleration hesitation AND poor transmission shifts?

Thanks in advance for any input (and my apologies for long-winded post)!