• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
Had my 2016 EcoDiesel updated a couple weeks back. Performance so bad that I took it back to the dealership within a day and told them to fix it or at least remove the flash update. They stated that once updated, they could not undo it. Having same "life-safety" issues of significant turbo-lag, poor performance and hesitant shifts as other posters in this forum! I really like ("liked") this truck and was so pleased with its performance after I ordered it directly from the factory - just the way I wanted it. Previously had a Ford F150 which I kept to 300k miles . . . it was a great truck and owed me no apologies (but hated the fuel mileage). The EcoDiesel Ram was the perfect solution . . . great torque and fuel economy!

Now after two weeks at the dealership repair shop, they've replaced my complete fuel system (stated the pump was "shredding" metal into the system . . . so replace the tank, pump, piping and filter). Picked it up this afternoon and got a half mile down the road and turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They stated it now performs just like the 2017 EcoDiesel (which did not fall under the recall mandate) . . . so I asked to drive one. Sure enough, the 2017 EcoDiesel was just as sluggish and poor performing as my "updated" 2016! To say I'm "unhappy" would be an understatement! It is truly a "life-safety" hazard now with it's pathetic performance!

Been reading this forum and similar experiences with the recall impact. Very curious about the GDE and SofaKing solutions? I live in northern California, but have a daughter in Reno. I gather that the GDE would be the better solution if I can get it (i.e. shipped to Nevada)? Or is the SofaKing solution just as good and I should have it shipped directly to my place in California? Do both solutions address both the acceleration hesitation AND poor transmission shifts?

Thanks in advance for any input (and my apologies for long-winded post)!
I also have a 2016 ECO diesel after the FCA emissions update my truck ran poorly not close to original. Like you I live in Calif. our options are very limited Sofa King is the only tune available. I did the engine and transmission tune, I'm very happy with Sofa King Tuned, its far better than the FCA updated tune but wouldn't take much to outdo that one! Its better than what came with my truck, I really enjoy driving my truck again. The way Sofa King does its tune, when it comes time to get the smog check you simply install the FCA updated tune get checked and reinstall the Sofa King tune and your good for another 2 years. Hope this helps regards Steve.

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks Stevei for the reply . . . much appreciated!

I do have some questions:
1. When you installed the Sofa King Tuned system, is there a way to regain the FCA update for future swap-out?
2. How difficult is it to swap between the SFT and FCA tunes?
3. Do you need to re-tune both the engine and transmission for the smog check or just the engine?
4. Is the SFT (Stage 1) a software update only (i.e. no hardware removal or replacement)?
5. Do you still use DEF with the SFT (Stage 1)?
5a. If so, does is use more or less than the FCA tune?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm not a prosecutor or attorney . . . just a curious mechanical engineer.

Cheers!

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
I just did it so will try to field your questions best I can.
1. SFT saves your original computer format, if it has AEM, that is what is saved to reflash.
2. you just reconnect to SFT server where yours is saved, you'll know, it will be one of 3 servers, select your program and down it comes to your ECU, 10 minutes or less I'd say.
3. I don't see why transmission would skew your emissions results in a testing facility, but that's a guess.
4. Software only, no removal of ecu or anything, all done with a laptop, windows, and the supplied devices and software from SFT.
5. w/ stage 1 you still have def system operational, you will still need to keep filled, and (5a), supposedly it will use less and also regen less, too early for me to know at this point.

I will say in only 2 trips I've seen a dramatic increase in holding gears and mpg up at least 10%. I wanna drive more before I claim it will be what it showed in my city driving yesterday all the time. was 25.6. I could hardly believe it, would normally be 21

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
the transmission tune is really really noticeable, as the trans was formerly laughable, couldn't hold a gear if you rolled over an acorn it would downshift, rev way beyond necessary or efficient in any accelerating situation, just terrible. I credit it mostly with the increase, but can't be sure.
I had a banks bullet on till the tune, so that kind of doped up my power and am not sure I see the seat riveting power increase most have reported, but I think I also need some cleaning in my intake. I had to buy a new map sensor right before I got the AEM at 42k. After careful cleaning with electronic cleaner a hexane cleaner like map cleaner, I got a code once and and just went for a new one. The performance up to that point, cleaning the old, was getting really bad. Since the tune, my egr is shut off, so waiting on my delete kit to cap and remove the cooler and diffuser. Highly considering a new BANKS manifold without closing valve and more volume. I am really happy with the banks cat back monster exhaust that removes all the resonators and gives more capacity, not noise, none additional as for sound and that was fine with me.

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you for addressing all my questions regarding the SFT tune . . . great information! Anything that get's my truck's performance at, or better than, the AEM update is appreciated!

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
Remember you live in Calif. and can't do a lot of the after market goodies, unless you take them off each time you smog test. Getting your numbers to Sofa King is a bit challenging but once they have it they'll keep the original numbers (FCA update tune) and send you the new numbers when it comes time to smog check you switch (easy part) get smog check and then reinstall Sofa King tune. Right now city mileage I use to get 18.9 - 19.3 original tune, Sofa King tune I'm getting 19.3 - 19.6. Highway I need to do my road trip maybe I'll get to do next week and I'll post it. Sofa King sends you all the hardware you'll need to remove and install and are really helpful with all the steps necessary to get the job done. All in all I'm very happy with my transaction with Sofa King, My truck I would not call it a HOT ROD but its pretty freaking SPORTY!

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for all the input! I've gone ahead and ordered the Sofa King Tuned, Stage 1 Combo setup. I'm hopeful to get some performance back with this modification . . . I'll give feedback once installed.
Cheers!

Beau0225

Jun 30, 2019
Truck Year
Just had my emissions recall done a few days ago as well on my RAM Limited. Got suckered like others into thinking it was the right thing to do. Also, everything I read said "Performance, Drivability etc would not be impacted"...What a crock! I am having the same side effect as others - zero acceleration from a stop for 2-3 seconds. What I have noticed is that it seems very much related to engine temperature. When the engine is below 150 degrees the acceleration is terrible and downright dangerous (old ladies with a cane could walk faster). Over ~ 150 degrees and the performance improves. It seems they have added significant governing on the acceleration when the engine is below a certain temp. As others noted the dealer just washed their hands of it, claimed they couldn't do anything and gave me a recall complaint number to call...big frigging deal...they didn't have a clue either

Does anyone know what legitimate recourse we have? They have turned my truck into a $60K piece of crap!
I was hoping to discover some good news about this problem when I just joined this forum but it seems I’m just one of the herd trying to figure out what we can or should do. When I bought my 2016 RAm used last June, there was some hesitation before the engine reached operating temperature. It was noticeable but nothing compared to what I am experiencing since the software update. I feel this truck is dangerous to drive in it’s present state. I don’t even want my wife to drive it. I was very satisfied with this truck before the update but now I would like to sell it and get the Hemi. Does anyone have any idea what this issue has done to the resale value?

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
Not sure the impact on the resale values. After the update, and following two weeks of fuel system repair, the dealer assured me the vehicle was "good as new". Got about a half mile down the road and turned around and went back to the dealership. I asked them ". . . did you actually drive the damn thing . . . its pathetic!". They said it now performs just like the 2017/2018 Eco Diesels - so I asked to drive one. I got into a "cold" 2017 Eco Diesel and started to drive it. Sure enough, it had the same delays and anemic acceleration as my "updated" 2016. Surprised people aren't returning their 2017's & 2018's in droves . . . but I guess they just accepted it when purchasing as "normal". Unfortunately, I (we) know how these engines/transmissions can perform without the crippling update! I can only hope the Q4 2019 Eco Diesels are not plagued with the same life-safety dangerous performance issues. Meanwhile, I sought out a third-party solution . . . ordered the Sofa King Tuned (SFT) Stage 1 kit to overwrite the upgrade flash. Should receive this upcoming week and will report back when installed (hoping to get performance back so I feel safe in it again!!).

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
Had my 2016 EcoDiesel updated a couple weeks back. Performance so bad that I took it back to the dealership within a day and told them to fix it or at least remove the flash update. They stated that once updated, they could not undo it. Having same "life-safety" issues of significant turbo-lag, poor performance and hesitant shifts as other posters in this forum! I really like ("liked") this truck and was so pleased with its performance after I ordered it directly from the factory - just the way I wanted it. Previously had a Ford F150 which I kept to 300k miles . . . it was a great truck and owed me no apologies (but hated the fuel mileage). The EcoDiesel Ram was the perfect solution . . . great torque and fuel economy!

Now after two weeks at the dealership repair shop, they've replaced my complete fuel system (stated the pump was "shredding" metal into the system . . . so replace the tank, pump, piping and filter). Picked it up this afternoon and got a half mile down the road and turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They stated it now performs just like the 2017 EcoDiesel (which did not fall under the recall mandate) . . . so I asked to drive one. Sure enough, the 2017 EcoDiesel was just as sluggish and poor performing as my "updated" 2016! To say I'm "unhappy" would be an understatement! It is truly a "life-safety" hazard now with it's pathetic performance!

Been reading this forum and similar experiences with the recall impact. Very curious about the GDE and SofaKing solutions? I live in northern California, but have a daughter in Reno. I gather that the GDE would be the better solution if I can get it (i.e. shipped to Nevada)? Or is the SofaKing solution just as good and I should have it shipped directly to my place in California? Do both solutions address both the acceleration hesitation AND poor transmission shifts?

Thanks in advance for any input (and my apologies for long-winded post)!

With our tuning we will ship you the engine and Transmission device needed to tune your vehicle.

You will have 0 hesitation with throttle. You'll get a nice bump in MPG, all safeties in place.

Best part, OBD2, you can flash stock, tune etc.

Checkout www.sofakingtuned.com/FAQ for more information

SHANEG

Jul 2, 2019
Truck Year
I just notice extreme lag from dead stop. more than when I purchased the truck new.
Anyone else?
I too have extreme hesitation from stop. I've also noticed my fuel mileage has decreased from 25/26 MPG Hwy to 20 MPG Hwy.

SHANEG

Jul 2, 2019
Truck Year
Yes indeed. Turbo lag is VERY bad since the update - especially when cold. Takes a few miles or a lot of idling to get it to respond somewhat normally, and even then it's not like it was prior to the flash.
:cautious: I had to make a left into traffic today and I was about t-boned due to poor acceleration response when I needed to get up and go.
After the dealership performed the recall I noticed the lag but thought it might be my imagination. A week later I was taking it back to the dealership to get it inspected again. Because they couldn't figure it out, they told me to change my oil, which wasn't due for another 1500 miles, and to also put injector cleaner in the fuel. They then insisted that I don't let it idol more than 10 minutes - I laughed and walked out. Obviously they don't know how to fix. I also would like to add that I too was almost hit at an intersection because sometimes the lag is so bad it won't even accelerate as if it's almost stalling.

SHANEG

Jul 2, 2019
Truck Year
Just had my emissions recall done a few days ago as well on my RAM Limited. Got suckered like others into thinking it was the right thing to do. Also, everything I read said "Performance, Drivability etc would not be impacted"...What a crock! I am having the same side effect as others - zero acceleration from a stop for 2-3 seconds. What I have noticed is that it seems very much related to engine temperature. When the engine is below 150 degrees the acceleration is terrible and downright dangerous (old ladies with a cane could walk faster). Over ~ 150 degrees and the performance improves. It seems they have added significant governing on the acceleration when the engine is below a certain temp. As others noted the dealer just washed their hands of it, claimed they couldn't do anything and gave me a recall complaint number to call...big frigging deal...they didn't have a clue either

Does anyone know what legitimate recourse we have? They have turned my truck into a $60K piece of crap!
I'm thinking we all need to get together to file another class action lawsuit. This time we demand full retail price reimbursement.

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
I recommend having your issue registered with Ram Customer Assistance Center [(833) 380-4748 or (866) 726-4636] . When you get the "greeting message", say "its for something else" to be transferred to a live person. I've done this and received a Case Number and have pushed to have it escalated to the Chrysler Dispute Resolution team with an assigned adviser. I'm still in the "process" and not sure what the outcome will be . . . but I've been quite vocal about stating the dangerous impact of this update and on how it has completely ruined the vehicle's performance to dangerous, life-safety levels. Be sure to keep a log of your calls (dates, times, who you spoke with, etc.) . . . it may be important in strengthening your case and receiving a resolution. If enough of us do this, they may actually take it serious and do something to avoid another class-action suit.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I have to wonder why owners keep getting this update with all the negative results we keep hearing about. I think it's only a requirement if you live in CA.

John

Nov 13, 2015
How about full retail price reimbursement and you get to keep the truck. Lol

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
I'm holding out for the 2019 Q4 Eco Diesel re-introduction and "free" replacement of my 2016 Eco Diesel. With updated engine HP and torque, it's got to be better than what we are dealing with now!?! At least I hope so!

MichaelMac

Jun 28, 2019
Truck Year
I know its not realistic . . . but one can only hope! Other than this latest engine/transmission sabotage, it's been a great truck!