• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Had my 2016 EcoDiesel updated a couple weeks back. Performance so bad that I took it back to the dealership within a day and told them to fix it or at least remove the flash update. They stated that once updated, they could not undo it. Having same "life-safety" issues of significant turbo-lag, poor performance and hesitant shifts as other posters in this forum! I really like ("liked") this truck and was so pleased with its performance after I ordered it directly from the factory - just the way I wanted it. Previously had a Ford F150 which I kept to 300k miles . . . it was a great truck and owed me no apologies (but hated the fuel mileage). The EcoDiesel Ram was the perfect solution . . . great torque and fuel economy!

Now after two weeks at the dealership repair shop, they've replaced my complete fuel system (stated the pump was "shredding" metal into the system . . . so replace the tank, pump, piping and filter). Picked it up this afternoon and got a half mile down the road and turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They stated it now performs just like the 2017 EcoDiesel (which did not fall under the recall mandate) . . . so I asked to drive one. Sure enough, the 2017 EcoDiesel was just as sluggish and poor performing as my "updated" 2016! To say I'm "unhappy" would be an understatement! It is truly a "life-safety" hazard now with it's pathetic performance!

Been reading this forum and similar experiences with the recall impact. Very curious about the GDE and SofaKing solutions? I live in northern California, but have a daughter in Reno. I gather that the GDE would be the better solution if I can get it (i.e. shipped to Nevada)? Or is the SofaKing solution just as good and I should have it shipped directly to my place in California? Do both solutions address both the acceleration hesitation AND poor transmission shifts?

Thanks in advance for any input (and my apologies for long-winded post)!
being in California get the SofaKing tune. GDE will check your registration and they don't want a lawsuit with your Government. Once you get the tune you can turn off the EGR just like you would with a GDE tune.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
stevei said:
I did a road trip today after Sofa King update, waiting to hear from them. Hold your horses on buying this tune, I had several issues today, I'll let you know.
Ram for Life asked, "How is the tune working for you now ? "

I thought he answered that, I know I saw his answer somewhere. Basically, his issues were all self-inflicted. That is, he forgot to install the TCM tune. Once he got it all corrected he was very satisfied with the SFT tunes and Jimmy's great service. As am I.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
I recommend having your issue registered with Ram Customer Assistance Center [(833) 380-4748 or (866) 726-4636] . When you get the "greeting message", say "its for something else" to be transferred to a live person. I've done this and received a Case Number and have pushed to have it escalated to the Chrysler Dispute Resolution team with an assigned adviser. I'm still in the "process" and not sure what the outcome will be . . . but I've been quite vocal about stating the dangerous impact of this update and on how it has completely ruined the vehicle's performance to dangerous, life-safety levels. Be sure to keep a log of your calls (dates, times, who you spoke with, etc.) . . . it may be important in strengthening your case and receiving a resolution. If enough of us do this, they may actually take it serious and do something to avoid another class-action suit.

Thank goodness I am not the only one rattling cages after the AEM Recall.

Another step is to file a complaint with the NHSTA at safercar.gov.

They too will assign a case # and actually reply to you. I explained that this is more than a performance issue..... IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
I did my road trip "VEGAS BABIE" didn't notice a difference in fuel mileage. Its the same as the original FCA tune, city 19.0 - 19.3 mpg, highway 24 - 26 mpg the real difference is in performance Sofa King is far better than the original FCA tune. It will fix all the problems the FCA updated tune causes, I LOVE IT!! Living in Calif. I have to get smog checked every other year, I'll switch back to FCA crap tune get smog check and simply switch back to Sofa King after easy-pesy.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
So i got the emissions flash and what a Dog my truck has become. Help!!!
Here is a video of my truck after the flash.
I was told by the dealership that no one has complained after the recall flash. I call BS. Totally noticeable.
Has anyone gone back to the dealership to see if they can get it flashed back. I did the flash first and never signed the documents regarding the settlement. Is it a waste of time going back to the dealership? Do I wait for the payout and then get a custom flash. I am not looking for a high-performance flash I just want my truck back. I like the idea here of getting a method to flash the truck and then put back the POS flash when i trade it in or go for inspection. I know there is a lot of info here on flashed and debate. I am just looking to get my truck back. Does anyone have the software that came on the truck?

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
I actually took my truck back to the dealership and was told the AEM had nothing to do with the transmission???

I told the service advisor that my truck drove totally different since the recall had been done. I introduced him to the EcoDieselRam.com website and asked that he read the numerous stories from EcoDiesel owners from all over having the exact same issue.

Truck still there, but don’t expect they “can duplicate the problem “.

I urge everyone to file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov. I have actually received an reply stating they will look into it. I am sure the more that complain, the quicker it will happen. This is more than a performance issue, it is a SAFETY ISSUE.

I also told the service advisor that I had filed a complaint with the NHSTA and that I had almost been hit in traffic twice because the truck seemed to stall in the middle of the road..... I added that he would be included in the lawsuit should I be killed in an accident due to the truck’s new performance.

Kinda funny how he seemed to have a new interest in my concerns.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I actually took my truck back to the dealership and was told the AEM had nothing to do with the transmission???

I told the service advisor that my truck drove totally different since the recall had been done. I introduced him to the EcoDieselRam.com website and asked that he read the numerous stories from EcoDiesel owners from all over having the exact same issue.

I urge everyone to file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov. I have actually received an reply stating they will look into it. I am sure the more that complain, the quicker it will happen. This is more than a performance issue, it is a SAFETY ISSUE.

I also told the service advisor that I had filed a complaint with the NHSTA and that I had almost been hit in traffic twice because the truck seemed to stall in the middle of the road..... I added that he would be included in the lawsuit should I be killed in an accident due to the truck’s new performance.

The AEM includes a reflash of the transmission control module (TCM). Some dealers are clueless,

Good luck with your lawsuit. 😀 I guess it's the EPA you need to name in the lawsuit.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year

I went to the dealership today and complained about it as well. I showed them my video and the service manager could not believe that my truck was lagging so bad. Like the truck could not get out of its own way. He told me that there is no way to for the dealership to roll the update back. I agree that we should complain.
Call this number for the ecodiesel recall - 866-220-6747 ecodiesel recall hotlink. My case number is 59175835. Everyone needs to put a complaint into her and call 800=334-9200 chrysler. Both lines said it is the first they are hearing about this. So we need call

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I went to the dealership today and complained about it as well. I showed them my video and the service manager could not believe that my truck was lagging so bad. Like the truck could not get out of its own way. He told me that there is no way to for the dealership to roll the update back. I agree that we should complain.
Call this number for the ecodiesel recall - 866-220-6747 ecodiesel recall hotlink. My case number is 59175835. Everyone needs to put a complaint into her and call 800=334-9200 chrysler. Both lines said it is the first they are hearing about this. So we need call

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks, I may look into sofakingtuned.com or greendieselengineering.com if I don't see any positive action from Chrysler to rectify what they've done. Since I live in the northeast, If engine temperature is a factor with this recall update (as I suspect) this will be a big problem for me.
Let me know if you did any of these tunes. I am interested in results.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
I reached out to one of the law firms that is part of the original lawsuit and shared our issue.

Attorney Kevin Dean with Motley Rice LLC did reply quickly to say that he had forwarded my email to the law firm handling the follow up issues. He said they would likely contact me for additional.

The list of the 10 law firms that represented the EcoDiesel owners are listed at EcoDiesel settlement.com.

Motley Rice LLC is located in SC and is why I reached out to them as I live in North Carolina.

I have also spoke to a local friend/attorney who pointed out that once the settlement is signed and you receive the payment, you relinquish any and all issues with the AEM.

He suggested waiting to see what all problems occur as a result of the recall. Current owners have until Feb 03, 2021 to submit a claim.

I don’t like feeling pressured to use the $3000 settlement money to purchase the GDE or the Sofaking tune.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Which is the better tune to get? I need to get one of them as soon as i get my money.
I think either one will do the job. If in CA you have to go with sofa. I prefer GDE since they did a ton of testing over the years and it's proven to perform well. The regen frequency (tells much) with GDE is approx 800 mile intervals and Sofa I hear is around 100 miles.

If under warranty it's risky with an OBD tool as the flash counter will change every time a tune is written to ecm. This makes a tune very noticeable to the dealer and could void warranty. A bench flash alleviates this risk.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I think either one will do the job. If in CA you have to go with sofa. I prefer GDE since they did a ton of testing over the years and it's proven to perform well. The regen frequency (tells much) with GDE is approx 800 mile intervals and Sofa I hear is around 100 miles.

If under warranty it's risky with an OBD tool as the flash counter will change every time a tune is written to ecm. This makes a tune very noticeable to the dealer and could void warranty. A bench flash alleviates this risk.
John thanks for the info. I am in NJ so i would only be flashing the truck for a trade-in or inspection. If i go with GDE they would have to do it every time as they do a bench flash. Or I would have to buy a second unit to have both ready and i can swap it out if i need to go for inspection or into the dealership for work. My truck has 33000 miles on it so i do have 90000 miles of warranty left after the flash. I do want to be covered and i think if i go GDE i would get it as a second unit and be able to swap as needed. Would you agree?

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I reached out to one of the law firms that is part of the original lawsuit and shared our issue.

Attorney Kevin Dean with Motley Rice LLC did reply quickly to say that he had forwarded my email to the law firm handling the follow up issues. He said they would likely contact me for additional.

The list of the 10 law firms that represented the EcoDiesel owners are listed at EcoDiesel settlement.com.

Motley Rice LLC is located in SC and is why I reached out to them as I live in North Carolina.

I have also spoke to a local friend/attorney who pointed out that once the settlement is signed and you receive the payment, you relinquish any and all issues with the AEM.

He suggested waiting to see what all problems occur as a result of the recall. Current owners have until Feb 03, 2021 to submit a claim.

I don’t like feeling pressured to use the $3000 settlement money to purchase the GDE or the Sofaking tune.
Wil that is great news for me as i have not signed anything or received payment.

John

Nov 13, 2015
John thanks for the info. I am in NJ so i would only be flashing the truck for a trade-in or inspection. If i go with GDE they would have to do it every time as they do a bench flash. Or I would have to buy a second unit to have both ready and i can swap it out if i need to go for inspection or into the dealership for work. My truck has 33000 miles on it so i do have 90000 miles of warranty left after the flash. I do want to be covered and i think if i go GDE i would get it as a second unit and be able to swap as needed. Would you agree?
The second unit is optional. Most seem to go with just the one. The dealer likely will not be aware of the GDE tune because they use the same part number and that's all the dealer sees. If the dealer does reflash your GDE tune for some kind of update you can just request a new one from GDE for $50.00. They will send a replacement and then you send your reflashed one back to them. You do have to pay for shipping both ways when you do the exchange but it's still a lot cheaper than having a spare. Bottom line either way will work.

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
My truck is going in on Monday. I already notice lag on acceleration. Do I have them do the upgrade?