• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vent Stuck in defrost and no heat

Bill Boggs

Apr 4, 2019
Truck Year
It doesn't matter whether I am in foot, middle or defrost, the air is coming our of the window defrost vents. AC on or off, full cold or full hot it doesn't matter. All I have is cold air coming out of the window defrost vents. I also noted a couple of months ago the heat started acting up.

Can anyone advise? I have tried going on the internet but cannot get a answer that I can believe. Some people talk about an electrical problem with a mixing valve and others talk about a vacuum leak. Both scenarios call for opening up the dash. It sure would be nice to have a plan that I have some faith in!

Thank you in advance for any ideas and advice.....

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I would guess a blend door motor issue, along with an actuator slip. Do you have single selector or dual climate control?

Bill Boggs

Apr 4, 2019
Truck Year
It is the single AC with the pushbutton soft key controls

If I need to look at the actuator doors is there any way to troubleshoot without doing swaptronics. Any Utube videos about opening up the dash?

Colby

Jul 20, 2021
Truck Year
My 2018 does the same thing. I have replaced the actuator and heater control module in glove box. The system restarts itself every time I start the truck. I have also replaced a solenoid looking thing under the truck due to the fact that's what the dealer said it was. The actuator does however move when it is trying to calibrate. I have the AlfaOBD and it says that actuator is failing? It does move though but then goes into the default defrost every time. I am at a loss on what it is. Was thinking it might be the touch screen or head unit?

The dash is really easy to take apart to get to the actuator you are needing to get to, depending on the year of your truck?

Bill Boggs

Apr 4, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you Colby for sharing. Did you buy a service manual or some combination of winging it and utube?

Colby

Jul 20, 2021
Truck Year
I just winged, YouTube and stealership.

Last edited:

Bill Boggs

Apr 4, 2019
Truck Year
There are a few people with bad reviews of aftermarket actuator doors. I am considering paying for OEM parts. That and if I can find a service manual would be nice.

Hope you have a great day!