• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When to use the tow haul button?

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
What does it exactly do that I need to use it? I have not towed anything with the truck beside a small mower on a trailer. nothing big like a boat.

Any other EcoDiesel owner experiences would be great

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
What does it exactly do that I need to use it? I have not towed anything with the truck beside a small mower on a trailer. nothing big like a boat.

Any other EcoDiesel owner experiences would be great

I've towed my boat (about 4000lb) without using it. However it's there for a reason.

When towing something heavy it will hold gears longer, increase throttle response and keep your transmission out of overdrive. Keeping the tranny out of OD helps keep it cooler under load.

However if you use your evic to watch tranny temps. You can tow in OD. If things start getting to warm. Slow down and put it in tow/haul mode.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I've towed my boat (about 4000lb) without using it. However it's there for a reason.

When towing something heavy it will hold gears longer, increase throttle response and keep your transmission out of overdrive. Keeping the tranny out of OD helps keep it cooler under load.

However if you use your evic to watch tranny temps. You can tow in OD. If things start getting to warm. Slow down and put it in tow/haul mode.

What gear is considered OD? Just 8th or is there more?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I think the 8 speed is kind of a OD1 and OD2. Speeds to actually hit 8th with tow/haul mode aren't even safe. 80MPH zones and it won't hold. But it does it's job to hold gears and run higher rpms.

And if you have factory air it stops the truck from using Aero mode on the highway. As does connecting a 7pin trailer connector

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
What gear is considered OD? Just 8th or is there more?
8th is overdrive.Please note not all of these trucks have the same gearing in the differential,most will have 3.55 gears
which I have and I use tow/haul plus keep transmission in 7 or 8th gear.Some of these trucks will have 4.10 gears which
is even better for heaver trailers.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
*3.92** is the towing upgrade not 4.10

And I don't know about you but I cannot hit 8th towing if my life depended on it.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year

And I don't know about you but I cannot hit 8th towing if my life depended on it.
Yea I don't either. 7th is tops it seems.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've ran up to about 80 (not actually towing just heavy payload) and hit 8th but even then it doesn't hold there.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year

Thank's for that I have had 4.10 on my mind all week one of the younger tech's at work
got a little jumpy when got a 1 ton serve truck stuck and well yes a 4.10

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I've towed my 7k lb camper both in and out of tow/haul. I have hit 8th on many occasions while running about 65 mph. It was an experiment this summer as I was trying to see how gas mileage was affected. I usually tow between 55 and 65. I didn't notice any difference in mileage ot temperatures between the two modes.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Here is my understanding of tow/haul. The transmission has 2 ways to stay engaged. One is with hydraulic pressure in the torque converter and the other is the torque converter clutch (TCC). When the TCC is engaged the torque converter does not require fluid pressure from the transmission which reduces drag inside the transmission which increases fuel mileage. Having tow/haul on allows the transmission computer to engage the TCC in any gear when conditions are correct. Having the tow/haul on while towing puts extra load on the TCC and can wear it out prematurely. Any transmission guys want to correct or clarify?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Would like the answer too. All I know, according to the Ram book, the tow/haul only changes the shifting issues. It stops from shifting up and down too often. That it...

I tow with 6,000 lbs about, and always in the rockies. Did the experiments and found it wasn't that useful for me. As, I result, I don't use it at all anymore. Yes, I often find I'm in eight gear and stays in there for reasonable periods and shifts as expected. Works right whether I'm towing or not.

Frank Meaders

Nov 21, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Would like the answer too. All I know, according to the Ram book, the tow/haul only changes the shifting issues. It stops from shifting up and down too often. That it...

I tow with 6,000 lbs about, and always in the rockies. Did the experiments and found it wasn't that useful for me. As, I result, I don't use it at all anymore. Yes, I often find I'm in eight gear and stays in there for reasonable periods and shifts as expected. Works right whether I'm towing or not.
Do you have the air suspension on your truck? Does the speed suffer while in the rockies?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Do you have the air suspension on your truck? Does the speed suffer while in the rockies?
the truck has power to keep up speeds on grades just as well as any other. And the air suspension is a great feature.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
No, I don't have air suspension. At this time, I don't think I need it or consider it as a necessity. However, I never tried one, so I can't give you recommendation either way. I suspect it can be a costly maintenance over time. I stand corrected. When it comes to towing, I don't feel I'm loosing out or feel a need for air suspension system. The handling, bounce whatever, not an issue. But, I do use the Anderson Hitch system, that has anti bounce, sway and equalizer. It may be great for your wife, or older people getting in and out, as it does lower the height. Fortunately, I have an agile wife. grin... Prefer to keep it that way. LOL

If I am using cruise control, it can keep up with the speed limit, however, I notice on long grades, (the rockies do have long grades and steep, I spend a lot of time there) or pushing against high winds (so much so, we having warning signs posted in places, natural wind tunnels), the EGT2 and EGT3 temperatures ( an indication of cylinder temperature) can peak to 1500 F when using cruise control and running 3000 to 3500 rpm. The Edge CS2 was a great tool to find these thing out. Don't think FCA like that.

It may be normal, or an indication it need better coolant, extra oil cooler, or more torque/power, (FCA may be thinking about it) but I don't like it, so when I get an alert from my Edge CS2 alarm, I disable the cruise and use the foot peddle. It drops the rpm and temperature drop down quick.

I always like low rpm. When towing with the 2014 highlander, 6000 rpm was way too common. Never allowed it to go 4000 rpm. It may have the power to tow, but sure not good in handling my current trailer. The 1500 F temperature may be okay for the EcoDiesel, but I feel, it may affect longevity of the motor. If longevity of motor is lost, so is the advantage of having a diesel. It would break Rams sales/reputation badly. (Are you listening FCA? Don't cheap out!)

Off topic, but I have to say the BFG KO2 are great tires for winter/ice. Info posted in other threads... Also, you can not happily operate an EcoDiesel in weather that is 7c or colder without winter blanket. (FCA realizes that and give them free, they should not have cheap out and provided shutter for all of the rads/coolants, instead went partial) That very obvious.

FCA you can get away with diesel guys, but not with the average consumers. That where the big market is...

My two pennies worth...

Last edited:

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
I have. the 3.95 axle, when towing, I always use the tow haul, keeping the truck out of 8 gear.
I have.also used the tow haul switch in heavy city driving to keep the trans from shifting so much.
No problems, even carrying 1,000 lbs loads in the bed.
There are two over drives, 7 & 8.
So far so good.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I have the 3.55 with trailer towing package and after experimenting with the tow/haul, I can't notice any difference. My truck is often in eight gear, it always shifted when it should and drop down when it should. No complaints on the transmission here, nor have I notice the transmission exceeding normal temperature range when towing or not towing. I never notice at any time, excessive shifting either up or down with my truck. AOK.

About 6000 lbs would be the heaviest I care to tow, more than that, and I would be pushing the truck too often.

If I had a heavier trailer 9,000 lbs or so, I would be looking at the Ram 2500 Diesel. EcoDiesel 3.0 would be pushed to the limit in the rockies where I camp a lot.