• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whining noise driving me crazy!

Awarren

Oct 31, 2022
Truck Year
2016 Ram eco diesel Longhorn Laramie 4x4. Truck starting a loud whining noise recently and it's getting worse! Does it as long as you are mashing accelerator. Going down hill or let off accelerator it stops. Thought differential so I serviced both ! No change. Service transfer case. No change. Don't think it's tires because it stops when not pulling a load! Transmission is sealed. U joints and drive line doesn't seem to have excessive slack. Wheel bearings good! Sounds differential. I have to turn up stereo to keep it from driving me crazy! Any things else I might check before I bite the bullet and bend over at the Dodge dealership? Thanks in advance !

Ramsey#1

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
2016 Ram eco diesel Longhorn Laramie 4x4. Truck starting a loud whining noise recently and it's getting worse! Does it as long as you are mashing accelerator. Going down hill or let off accelerator it stops. Thought differential so I serviced both ! No change. Service transfer case. No change. Don't think it's tires because it stops when not pulling a load! Transmission is sealed. U joints and drive line doesn't seem to have excessive slack. Wheel bearings good! Sounds differential. I have to turn up stereo to keep it from driving me crazy! Any things else I might check before I bite the bullet and bend over at the Dodge dealership? Thanks in advance !
Not sure just a guess but could your turbo be sucking air. Did you recently clean or disturb your egr tube ?

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Check your exhaust for cracks/loose or broken bolts/blown gasket at the DEF injector.

Awarren

Oct 31, 2022
Truck Year
Mine is doing the exact same thing and it's just getting louder! Help! LOL It sounds drivetrain ! Sounds like it's driving in low gear but it's not!

deltadave91

Jul 14, 2023
Truck Year
Had the same problem a month ago. Had 84K miles on my 2016 EcoDiesel. On a road trip pulling a trailer. It was the first time I ever heard the squeal while accelerating onto the freeway. Arrived at destination and the dreaded engine light with a “DEF fault see dealer” message came up. After a while, I got the DEF message with a 200 mile countdown, indicating the engine would either shutdown or go into ‘limp’ mode’. (The engine was running fine, but the engineers won’t let you continue to drive around damaging the environment.) I was 300 miles away from home dealership. Local dealership said catalytic converter ruptured and damaged the DEF system. $6300 and 10 days later I drove it back home. That also included a new water pump.