• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

White Smoke Right After Start Up

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Hello, I have a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with 65k miles. It is GDE tuned and deleted with a full EGR delete. When I start the truck I notice white smoke for around 1 minute and then it stops smoking. Has anyone had this issue?

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Here is a link to the video since I couldn’t get it to upload here.

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Are you sure that isn't just steam? Smoke doesn't dissipate that quick in my opinion....
It may be steam. It does it for a minute or so then stops. It doesn’t smell sweet like coolant it just smells like diesel exhaust. I figured if I had a head gasket issue that my coolant or oil would look trashed and both look clean.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
It may be steam. It does it for a minute or so then stops. It doesn’t smell sweet like coolant it just smells like diesel exhaust. I figured if I had a head gasket issue that my coolant or oil would look trashed and both look clean.
EGR recall done yet?
I assume this is happening in warm weather operation?

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
My EGR is completely deleted. It’s warm here, around 90°F.
I had a lot more white smoke and coolant was dropping quickly before deleting the EGR. It has been deleted for close to 3,000 miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Generally White smoke at startup is unburned Fuel, Take OA as soon as possible to confirm FIO %. Revisit what direction to take after OA results.

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Is it possible that my coolant loss is unrelated? I am hoping that I don’t have a bad head gasket. My coolant and oil are both clean.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Again your guessing, get that OA and post the results, what! your eyes are PPM? if Coolant is finding its wat to Lube Your sodium will be high your NOT going to see that with 20/20.

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Again your guessing, get that OA and post the results, what! your eyes are PPM? if Coolant is finding its wat to Lube Your sodium will be high your NOT going to see that with 20/20.
My vision obviously can’t see PPM but I figured the oil would look milky if it was contaminated with coolant. Thanks for the tip.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If its Milky, its $$$$$ for new engine. CAL that's loaded in most lubes today will mix with the HOAT/OAT and destroy Main/Rod Bearing in short order.

MrSquiggles

Aug 18, 2020
I think it is steam as well.

One of the things a catalytic converter does is it converts unburned fuel (gas or diesel) into water. This is most prominent at startup when fuel is rich and you are in open loop (open loop is when the o2 sensors are ignored and are not being used to adjust fuel).

If you had a diagnostic tool (something more advanced than a code reader) that could tell you loop status you could watch when it goes into closed loop (o2 sensors start being used to adjust fuel) and see if your white steam goes away at about that time. If so you would know but since open loop is usually 2 or 3 minutes and you know water is supposed to be in the exhaust due to the catalytic converter it is likely that you are just seeing the system working as intended.

Andrew L

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
I think it is steam as well.

One of the things a catalytic converter does is it converts unburned fuel (gas or diesel) into water. This is most prominent at startup when fuel is rich and you are in open loop (open loop is when the o2 sensors are ignored and are not being used to adjust fuel).

If you had a diagnostic tool (something more advanced than a code reader) that could tell you loop status you could watch when it goes into closed loop (o2 sensors start being used to adjust fuel) and see if your white steam goes away at about that time. If so you would know but since open loop is usually 2 or 3 minutes and you know water is supposed to be in the exhaust due to the catalytic converter it is likely that you are just seeing the system working as intended.
It’s fully deleted.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
MrSquiggles at 90F? DSL do not have Gas CAT's that idle and convert gases into heat at 800-900F idle temps. DSL (Bluetech) are very cool by the time its at tail pipe UNLESS its in Active/Stationary Regen-De-soot, and AL deleted.