• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Winter Mods

DieselDude

Oct 9, 2013
What is your winter procedure for your ecodiesel?

Normally I try to keep a good check on tire pressures, fluids, etc.

Anything else someone does or has a good checklist to go by? What about fuel additives?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
No additives yet, but do use block heater. Will run winter front if I see extended single digit temps. Other then the FluidFilm undercoat, nothing unusual.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Oil and fuel filter change right before snow flies.

Block heater (religiously) and winter front.

No additives yet, Holiday blends to temp seasonally and I almost strictly use their fuel. But Silver 911 on hand and spare fuel Filters at home (will probably move one to the truck soon) if there's ever an issue.

Really nothing special except the winter front but many put cardboard on gassers, I'm in very cold climate.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
So far, just winter blanket only. Once 7c and colder, blanket on fully. We recently hit some very cold moist temperatures - 27 c in the rockies and I did wash the truck the day before. I had to scrap the passenger window on the inside for the first 300 km.

I did get a hick up, a minor engine light came on, according to error code explanation from the Edge, no 5 volt to MAP. Shutting the engine on/off didn't clear it. Did a clear from the Edge and never came back, over 1000 km since then. Will throw that info to dealer on next oil change.

A continuous 1400 trip did a nice drying of truck, interior and exterior. Especially the mats. I only recently replace the mats with the husky liners. The other old mats didn't hold the water well, kept soaking the carpet. Now dry.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
Seiko if your truck is still under warranty do not let dealer know you have a product from (Edge),or same product
from another company as big time warranty problems.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Yes, and I asked the dealer and not a concern. It only a monitor, not a tuner. I leave it there all the time, they even use it at times. If it was a tuner, then yes, if any modifications made cause the problem, then it will not be under warranty. I check with FCA and long it not a modification, it doesn't affect warranty.

The misinformation is due to not understanding the difference between tuner and monitor devices.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Seiko, how do you mount your monitor? Likes/dislikes?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I ran the cable between the steering wheel and the dash (Left side). It stays in place and doesn't block the Evic view for me. I can easily see the Edge CS2 display and when necessary access it. Somewhere on this site, I did post a picture of it and even tried the velcro approach, but prefer my current method.

It is tuck away from public view, the mounts they provide make it to visible to the public. Encouraging theft.

I can take another picture of the setup later on and post it here, if interested.

Do I like it, yes. Is it worth it. Yes but overpriced, but FCA should have provided all the critical info readily on the EVIC or Uconnect.

Initially, my concern was the REGEN, not wanting to shut off the truck in a middle of a REGEN. From watching how it operates, I concluded that the truck firmware handles it well in most cases for me, but I can see others who drive shorter distance, it can be a nuisance and disconcerting. These individual (new to diesel) may conclude they bought the wrong truck, but reeducating may help them regain their confidence in their purchase.

I found monitoring the temperature that prove to be the most important and critical info. This I discovered when towing. I monitor the EGT1 to EGT4 and ERT (radiator coolant) when using winter fronts. (I have alerts set when it reaches the critical temperatures.)

When towing the EGT1 and EGT2 raised concerns for me. It was too easy to get 1500 F temperatures (I don't think it a safe range, at least for longevity of the engine) when towing up on a grade, like in the mountains. Anyone towing need to monitor these temperatures.

FCA should have provided that info in their displays. I suspect now, that FCA is aware of this short fall and will need to recall and install additional coolers and/or rethink the plumbing for the radiator and oil coolant. Perhaps more torque/horsepower is needed to claim those tow rates advertised.

Until it is addressed, those who tow, need to monitor EGT's and react as needed.

Last edited:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Excellent feedback, much appreciated. I will search for your picture, you can repost if convenient for you.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Correction, I meant EGT 1 and EGT 2 that hits 1500 F. I managed to edit that message and make the correction. Oops.

The EGT 3 and EGT 4 is used for REGEN cycle and temperatures will climb over 1100 F during the cycle. I notice when towing long distance, the temperatures do come close to 1000 F and the beneficial affect, the Soot level climb very slow. Increasing the distance before next REGEN, instead of 90 KM as in town, I get over 200-300 km on the highway trips. I notice this winter, the winter covers helps that way too.

With full winter covers and temperature ranging from -27c to -3 c. This last trip of 1200 KM, from Calgary to Ainsworth Hot-spring and back, it seems I only had 2 REGEN cycles. If not, I may have missed it or set a record.

Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I took a quick picture of setup looking inside from driver side.

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 7

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you Seiko, you have went above & beyond helping with questions.

That is very clean install. I will first try this route. I'm not crazy about a pillar mount, but still open to options.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Received my CS2 yesterday. Wow is it small compared to today's 'smart' phones. But it's sharp and has vivid colors so it's fine. All the features look great and I already installed the latest update from the Fusion software. Unfortunately, AMP or Amazon's website had a cross up with part #s when I ordered their pass through harness, (which will allow me to run the CS2 along with my steps through the OBII port), and sent me their Bedextender hardware lol. So now I have this new toy but can't enjoy it yet....

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
I have the CTS monitor, and I put in the corner of the windshield. Ran my cord down door molding.
No issues, works well.
I like knowing what going on with the regen cycle.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
I ran the cable between the steering wheel and the dash (Left side). It stays in place and doesn't block the Evic view for me. I can easily see the Edge CS2 display and when necessary access it. Somewhere on this site, I did post a picture of it and even tried the velcro approach, but prefer my current method.

It is tuck away from public view, the mounts they provide make it to visible to the public. Encouraging theft.

I can take another picture of the setup later on and post it here, if interested.

Do I like it, yes. Is it worth it. Yes but overpriced, but FCA should have provided all the critical info readily on the EVIC or Uconnect.

Initially, my concern was the REGEN, not wanting to shut off the truck in a middle of a REGEN. From watching how it operates, I concluded that the truck firmware handles it well in most cases for me, but I can see others who drive shorter distance, it can be a nuisance and disconcerting. These individual (new to diesel) may conclude they bought the wrong truck, but reeducating may help them regain their confidence in their purchase.

I found monitoring the temperature that prove to be the most important and critical info. This I discovered when towing. I monitor the EGT1 to EGT4 and ERT (radiator coolant) when using winter fronts. (I have alerts set when it reaches the critical temperatures.)

When towing the EGT1 and EGT2 raised concerns for me. It was too easy to get 1500 F temperatures (I don't think it a safe range, at least for longevity of the engine) when towing up on a grade, like in the mountains. Anyone towing need to monitor these temperatures.

FCA should have provided that info in their displays. I suspect now, that FCA is aware of this short fall and will need to recall and install additional coolers and/or rethink the plumbing for the radiator and oil coolant. Perhaps more torque/horsepower is needed to claim those tow rates advertised.

Until it is addressed, those who tow, need to monitor EGT's and react as needed.
Those temps scare me I am going to weld a fitting about 6" back from turbo on exhaust and install a IssPro pyrometer. In all of the
class 8 (18 wheeler) trucks I know of and ones that I have drove in Canadian Mountains Gross at 100,000 lbs max want to see is
900 F you are 100% correct have that checked as aluminum (pistons) start to melt at 1200 F.