• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Winterization

aluk09

Aug 21, 2020
Truck Year
I recently bought the truck from Texas, and was wondering what all needs to be done for the truck to run well in the Winter. I was thinking about the usual like Engine Block Heater and Battery Warmer, however when looking up the oil pan itself, it's grooved. How is anything supposed to stick to the pan to get the surface area for keeping that warm?

Lastly, are there other things out there, besides the three mentioned above, that you folks think might need to be on the truck?

Keep in mind I live in Interior Alaska, temps reach as low as -60 Fahrenheit, and I don't have a garage to keep the truck warm during the Winter months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jimdb1

Mar 18, 2022
Truck Year
I was wondering about a statement made regarding the installation of an oil pan heater being a bad thing.
They claim that pan heater will only heat oil / pan. This could cause 5 w 40 oil to actually be thicker due to temperature controlled viscosity features.
Hmmm ? My questions first are regarding Rotella T6 5w40: 1) At what temp does the oil become heavier than say 15 weight? 2) What is the weight when engine oil temp is 103C (218 F). The regarding pan heater of say 200 W size, how hot does it get the oil?
So is there some truth to this concern about pan heaters. I would install a block heater if it was a simpler process ( my wife's LR2 2L gas engine). Dum ars mfg does not supply block heater.! Has winter mode, heated windshield and fast warm defrost....but no block heater wth !!

James115

Jul 5, 2022
Truck Year
I recently bought the truck from Texas, and was wondering what all needs to be done for the truck to run well in the Winter. I was thinking about the usual like Engine Block Heater and Battery Warmer, however when looking up the oil pan itself, it's grooved. How is anything supposed to stick to the pan to get the surface area for keeping that warm?

Lastly, are there other things out there, besides the three mentioned above, that you folks think might need to be on the truck?

Keep in mind I live in Interior Alaska, temps reach as low as -60 Fahrenheit, and I don't have a garage to keep the truck warm during the Winter months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
It’s my understanding that every engine has the block heater installed from factory. It’s the $120 dollar cord FCA sells that’s needed. Or you can get the very same cord on Amazon for $25. Also heater is not in oil passages but in antifreeze section of engine. Found all this out on my 2017 eco. You can access block heater thru right front wheel well. Unless your triple jointed best to remove tire for best access. I was getting an dealer oil change and ask service writer if their mechanic would plug my cord onto heater. They obliged. I routed cord and plug end after returning home.