• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Zero oil pressure weirdness

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
So, I am having truck shutoff issues due to zero oil pressure. Here’s what I know:

Oil pressure is not from a sensor, it’s an algorithm.

I hooked up an external gauge and it reads zero while the dash says 40. Cheap Amazon buy, not sure it’s any good.

I changed the oil after it having been a while rec

The drain valve I had on the drain plug was plugged up, so in removing it AFTER already changing the oil once, the oil was very dark. Probably sludge.

Truck runs fine until the engine calculates no oil pressure. After it shuts off, turning it back on it runs fine again until I hit a stop light or sign, then it zeros and turns off.

Never overheats or acts like it will.

Drained the oil again to see what I see. No glitter.

My next move is to get the engine flushed with a solvent flush to maybe get sludge out.

Anyone have suggestions?

Baldguy187

Dec 1, 2021
Truck Year
I had the same problem. Had to take it to the dealership. "Make sure they have a Deisel Mechanic" mine didn't so had to take it to another dealership after being charged. But they were able to get her back to normal after a flash to my computer.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
Sludge is no good. You are waiting too long between changes. If you don't have a bypass filter setup, I would change every 5k. I would do a chemical flush. It may take 2 possibly 3 times before its flushed out. I would use amsoil flush because they have more additives that flush out the old oil before going to theirs. Any will work though. Flush it once. Run for 1k, if light comes on before 1k then flush again and attempt another 1k. Keep doing it till you get to the 1k. Once you hit the 1k flush again and put in a high quality oil like amsoil, Lorenzo's, or tribidaun (not sure if it's spelled correctly. Summit sells it). Additionally, with sludge issues your engine may be close to failure. Be prepared. I would also get an oil sample and have it tested. That will give you good info as to how the internals are wearing.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Sludge is no good. You are waiting too long between changes. If you don't have a bypass filter setup, I would change every 5k. I would do a chemical flush. It may take 2 possibly 3 times before its flushed out. I would use amsoil flush because they have more additives that flush out the old oil before going to theirs. Any will work though. Flush it once. Run for 1k, if light comes on before 1k then flush again and attempt another 1k. Keep doing it till you get to the 1k. Once you hit the 1k flush again and put in a high quality oil like amsoil, Lorenzo's, or tribidaun (not sure if it's spelled correctly. Summit sells it). Additionally, with sludge issues your engine may be close to failure. Be prepared. I would also get an oil sample and have it tested. That will give you good info as to how the internals are wearing.
Ran two “Motor Medic” diesel flushes with two back to back oil changes. No glitter found, just black sludge. Truck had sat for 7 months after I pulled the trans and transfer case to fix the damn $20 tone wheel. Being that I had a torn MCL and a jacked up shoulder, it sat a while. Ended up having to replace the trans because water and sand got into it. My mistake was not flushing it after the replacement.

Now, after 2 flushes, fresh oil and filter, truck seems to be running great. That is, unless you count me getting water in the frame wire harness today from power washing and getting U1424 service electronic whatever. I dried the harness and blew it out. Also seems okay now. My baby is getting finicky at 198,000.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So, I am having truck shutoff issues due to zero oil pressure. Here’s what I know:

I hooked up an external gauge and it reads zero while the dash says 40. Cheap Amazon buy, not sure it’s any good.

The drain valve I had on the drain plug was plugged up, so in removing it AFTER already changing the oil once, the oil was very dark. Probably sludge.

Truck runs fine until the engine calculates no oil pressure. After it shuts off, turning it back on it runs fine again until I hit a stop light or sign, then it zeros and turns off.

My next move is to get the engine flushed with a solvent flush to maybe get sludge out.

Anyone have suggestions?

robyd

Aug 30, 2021
Truck Year
I had a simple problem with low oil pressure. It turns out my oil filter was not seated properly. I lubed the threads and reseated the filter and the pressure went up to normal

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
I had a simple problem with low oil pressure. It turns out my oil filter was not seated properly. I lubed the threads and reseated the filter and the pressure went up to normal
I heard about that recently. I use a socket and ratchet to tighten it now.

sgibson001

Mar 1, 2022
Truck Year
you might check Oil Pressure Sending Unit
have had this happen in the past on a gas truck i had

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
I saw a video today where the guy has a 2016. He had zero oil pressure, even when he revved the motor. He did the usual checks, then finally pulled the oil pan. The pick-up line inside his pan has a thick layer of sludge over the screen. Cleaned it off and the pan and put it all back together. Him and his truck are very happy now. Since I bought my truck pre-loved, Im going to do the same.
FYI - take an oil sample (12oz) to any CATERPILLAR repair place and they can send it off for testing. I do this periodically on my semi.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
I saw a video today where the guy has a 2016. He had zero oil pressure, even when he revved the motor. He did the usual checks, then finally pulled the oil pan. The pick-up line inside his pan has a thick layer of sludge over the screen. Cleaned it off and the pan and put it all back together. Him and his truck are very happy now. Since I bought my truck pre-loved, Im going to do the same.
FYI - take an oil sample (12oz) to any CATERPILLAR repair place and they can send it off for testing. I do this periodically on my semi.
Yep. Cleaned mine twice. Runs like new now.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Thank you sir. Any advice or a video on the r&r?
No video, but I will say this. It’s very messy, so take your time, prep the area. Be careful to not damage anything and be patient. There’s a lot of nasty in that pan to be cleaned out, and the screen will be completely clogged. WD-40 works great to soak it.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year

Anyone have suggestions?
Check your fuel pressure from the lift pump, if it reads anything under 53 psi replace the lift pump. If that’s good check your PCM for stored codes. If you hook up a oil pressure gauge and it reads 20psi you’re good, under and your oil pump is going out and will quit leaving you stranded. For some reason if you have any issues with the engine it will flash “ low oil pressure” even though that is not your problem. I think it just stops the pump and it’s a secondary message, not your real issue.
I had the same problem and it was actually my fuel lift pump.
start there, if those check out, I’ll give you a couple other test procedures.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Check your fuel pressure from the lift pump, if it reads anything under 53 psi replace the lift pump. If that’s good check your PCM for stored codes. If you hook up a oil pressure gauge and it reads 20psi you’re good, under and your oil pump is going out and will quit leaving you stranded. For some reason if you have any issues with the engine it will flash “ low oil pressure” even though that is not your problem. I think it just stops the pump and it’s a secondary message, not your real issue.
I had the same problem and it was actually my fuel lift pump.
start there, if those check out, I’ll give you a couple other test procedures.
I fixed it. Clogged screen pickup and nasty pan.