• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regeneration Question..

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
2015 Limited running like a top with 30,200 miles. I've encountered 3 regeneration's within the last 400 - 500 miles. My driving I'd have to say has been split between city and 12 mile highway hops. Fuel mileage has been in the low 17's. We had a new Kwik Trip super station open and I've been using their winterized gold diesel fuel. I've also been adding Power Service fuel additive. Am I doing something wrong? or perhaps the quality of fuel producing too much soot? again the truck is running great. This is my first winter with the truck is this normal?

Cmopar

Oct 18, 2016
Truck Year
2016 ED, oil and flash update performed months ago. No problems at all with this truck so far. Past two months have been monitoring the regen cycles using the Torque Pro android phone to OBDII Bluetooth adaptor rig. Seems to regen every 150 miles of country back road, typical PA hills and flat roads. I use 'Hot Shot's Secret' products and change the oil and filter every 5K miles.

Start a log: Pick a stretch of road, a hill is good, hold an RPM, and record the DPF differential pressure on this same stretch of road at the same RPM/engine load. If the pressure readings trend upward over time the filter is building up a clog that is not clearing out with regenerations. If possible do this log soon after a regeneration has completed. Conditions must be as equal as possible with every log reading for the results to be meaningful.

Best of luck!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I use torque pro also when I feel the need to monitor anything and it is pretty good, some limited dpf readings but if you know what to look for on egr temps 1&2 you can watch the regeneration cycle.

Anyways sometimes the trucks just pick a poor time to try and force a regeneration like right when you're exiting your 12 mile highway commute, so it isn't completing, it's not that you are doing anything wrong, it's just struggling a little. When it gets to temp in town and starts to regenerate but you are still stop and go; it holds for 5+ minutes before really being able to start up again and it takes 10-16 minutes to complete regeneration depending on percentage (I observe about 10% reduction every 2 minutes) so the 10 minute highway commute may not be quite enough is all.

I wouldn't worry about it, the regenerations change with temperatures, idling/warmup, driving habits, and engine load. The message stating it's X0% full just means it's higher than a passive percentage and your exhaust is more restricted, therefore lower MPG during that time.

Only concern would be if there is a steady increase in percentage without reduction. As long as occasionally extending your regeneration can get the cycle to complete then nothing is wrong.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
I use torque pro also when I feel the need to monitor anything and it is pretty good, some limited dpf readings but if you know what to look for on egr temps 1&2 you can watch the regeneration cycle.

Anyways sometimes the trucks just pick a poor time to try and force a regeneration like right when you're exiting your 12 mile highway commute, so it isn't completing, it's not that you are doing anything wrong, it's just struggling a little. When it gets to temp in town and starts to regenerate but you are still stop and go; it holds for 5+ minutes before really being able to start up again and it takes 10-16 minutes to complete regeneration depending on percentage (I observe about 10% reduction every 2 minutes) so the 10 minute highway commute may not be quite enough is all.

I wouldn't worry about it, the regenerations change with temperatures, idling/warmup, driving habits, and engine load. The message stating it's X0% full just means it's higher than a passive percentage and your exhaust is more restricted, therefore lower MPG during that time.

Only concern would be if there is a steady increase in percentage without reduction. As long as occasionally extending your regeneration can get the cycle to complete then nothing is wrong.
Thank you!!!

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year

Not to sound like a dinosaur, you mentioned Torque Pro. I never replaced my cell after my son lost it at a football game. Sadly I'm feeling a wee bit dated with this technology, would I be able to use my lap top to monitor these items? or can I purchase something I can leave in the truck?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Actually yes you could run it through a lap top. It is just a Bluetooth adapter for the obd2 port and an android application. There are others out there but I like this enough to have purchased the app.

I have a 7" wifi tablet also I Used to keep in the truck to run it but it's really not necessary.

It's one of those "I've got it, but I don't need it" I don't need to watch all the crap that the truck hides unless there's a perceived issue.

Anyways the adapter and code reader work on any obd2 vehicle so it's a great basic diagnostic tool to have.

So laptop, or an inexpensive wifi tablet are good options.

Alternative there are basic code readers to very fancy touch screen devices like the edge insight monitors that all do the same thing. They are just $300+ alternatives to something I hardly use. Obviously doesn't make sense to me opposed to a $4 android application (optional from free version with adds but full functionality) and a $12 or less elm327 Bluetooth adapter

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Actually yes you could run it through a lap top. It is just a Bluetooth adapter for the obd2 port and an android application. There are others out there but I like this enough to have purchased the app.

I have a 7" wifi tablet also I Used to keep in the truck to run it but it's really not necessary.

It's one of those "I've got it, but I don't need it" I don't need to watch all the crap that the truck hides unless there's a perceived issue.

Anyways the adapter and code reader work on any obd2 vehicle so it's a great basic diagnostic tool to have.

So laptop, or an inexpensive wifi tablet are good options.

Alternative there are basic code readers to very fancy touch screen devices like the edge insight monitors that all do the same thing. They are just $300+ alternatives to something I hardly use. Obviously doesn't make sense to me opposed to a $4 android application (optional from free version with adds but full functionality) and a $12 or less elm327 Bluetooth adapter
Way cool info! Thanks......

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Banks IQ/ID ....

Attachments

• Active ED 3.0.jpg
    Active ED 3.0.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Banks Bullet 3.0.jpg
    Banks Bullet 3.0.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 37