• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CSI.one

Apr 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi guy's,

A newbie here!

Very interested in buying a Ram 1500 ecodiesel, I was very keen until I saw all the ongoing problems and now very skeptical. I can't see spending a great deal of money on one and more when it dies. I know, it's a crap shoot as there are problems at ant time with all makes. I had a 2003 Chevy Silverado 3500 with the great injectors, lots of money then GM doesn't want to know you, enough said. It's just a pity that they bring these engines to the market with these "known" problems, disgraceful!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Find a truck with a clean Carfax and you shouldn't worry about the reliability of this platform. Yes, although unproven, the 3.0L VM engine failure rate might be a percentage point or two higher then a comparable gas truck, but it's by no means a ticking time bomb. My only advice is really do your homework and see if this drivetrain suits your needs rather then just the desire to own one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CSI.one

Apr 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Find a truck with a clean Carfax and you shouldn't worry about the reliability of this platform. Yes, although unproven, the 3.0L VM engine failure rate might be a percentage point or two higher then a comparable gas truck, but it's by no means a ticking time bomb. My only advice is really do your homework and see if this drivetrain suits your needs rather then just the desire to own one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hi Brady,

Thanks for the quick response. No, I plan on towing a travel trailer and do prefer a diesel to a gas truck. I was looking at replacing the Chevy with another 3500 but decided I didn't need that towing capacity anymore. I saw Ram had this and Chevy had the baby Duramax but this is too small an engine in a small truck. Thanks again.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome!

Like Brady said, find a clean one and enjoy it. If it's out of powertrain warranty, I would most definitely say get an extended warranty and make sure it covers major components incase of a failure.

CSI.one

Apr 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome!

Like Brady said, find a clean one and enjoy it. If it's out of powertrain warranty, I would most definitely say get an extended warranty and make sure it covers major components incase of a failure.
Hi BoostN,

Thanks for your responses. Great idea!

Cheers.