• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running a Tune, and going to a dealer?

John

Nov 13, 2015
That's a fact on GM's ECM's for the Duramax. If Ram does the same, I don't know.

But yes, the dealer really has to go the extra mile to "get the goods".
I would assume if Ram digs deep enough they can see more than we think.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I with everyone I really want the tune but too loose the warranty over it.......I need to be sure that won't happen. Anyone knows how that can be prevented?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I with everyone I really want the tune but too loose the warranty over it.......I need to be sure that won't happen. Anyone knows how that can be prevented?

It's a risk you have to take unfortunately.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
You give the dealership too much credit. Anyway, not the case with our ECU according to GDE.

Can you explain why that is not the case with ECU by GDE? Is there something they do that conceals this from the dealer?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Can you explain why that is not the case with ECU by GDE? Is there something they do that conceals this from the dealer?
Your best bet would be to contact GDE directly. They are great to work with and one of the best in the industry. Once you get their tune you may never look back. No more worries about cleaning the intake, etc.

Pequod

May 26, 2018
Truck Year
Do you have GDE contact info, new to the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a spare stock PCM. If there is a reason to update or flash the truck's PCM my Service Manager installs my spare, flashes it and reinstalls my tuned PCM. He supports the tune and takes precautions to not flash the tuned PCM - a great Service Manager for sure! He usually charges me $60.00, which I gladly pay in lieu of doing the work myself.
Im in San Diego and havent had any dealer service yet. Your service manager is they type i want to do business with. What dealer is he at? Thanks!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
He is Michael Nivens at Perry Chrysler in National City. Tell him I referred you, he'll treat you right.
Give him a call first as he's hard to contact otherwise

By the way - GDE can no longer modify, maintain, or update existing tuned Calif trucks. Nor can they sell any new tunes as CAlif EPA has barred them indefinitely. So, if you already have a Calif GDE tuned truck it is even more important that you protect your tuned PCM from being flashed.
Same goes for GDE's transmission tunes.

Per GDE - Neither a smog station nor a dealer can detect a GDE tuned PCM

Last edited:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Per GDE - Neither a smog station nor a dealer can detect a GDE tuned PCM

I like what the GDE tune accomplishes and believe it is a useful addition to keep these trucks running smooth for the average driver. However, I do not believe this statement is correct. I’ve read there are tell tale signs that can be seen from the laptop used by the techs, as well as the lower speed cruise control.

If they dealership suspects a tune and look for it, they’ll find it..... Just my $.02

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I dont have a tune, but i was interested in john jensens service manager. Good ones are hard to find and i like johns recommendation.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I dont have a tune, but i was interested in john jensens service manager. Good ones are hard to find and i like johns recommendation.

Agreed.

gbl

Dec 10, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm interested in getting a GDE tune....

There's a lot of discussion of what might happen if you get caught or how you can avoid gettring caught with a tune. The real question would be if anyone has been caught, how and why?

Mike5034

Jan 6, 2019
Truck Year
I like what the GDE tune accomplishes and believe it is a useful addition to keep these trucks running smooth for the average driver. However, I do not believe this statement is correct. I’ve read there are tell tale signs that can be seen from the laptop used by the techs, as well as the lower speed cruise control.

If they dealership suspects a tune and look for it, they’ll find it..... Just my $.02

I'm very new here, can you tell me how this works. Do I send anything to GDE and then they send me something back? Is this just a little screen hooked up to the ecm that will have the engine run a little more normal instead of this foolish soot and regeneration. Thanks

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'm very new here, can you tell me how this works. Do I send anything to GDE and then they send me something back? Is this just a little screen hooked up to the ecm that will have the engine run a little more normal instead of this foolish soot and regeneration. Thanks

Your best bet for information about GDE’s product is their website.

My take is that it’s a full reprogram of the ECM. I’m not savvy enough to breakdown everything they accomplish but it does shutdown the EGR and quiets all the foolish sensors such as quality of DEF and whatnot. (You can run distilled water with the tune.) The tune also increases regen intervals substantially, produces a small bump in hp and torque, and reduces the turbo lag from a stop.

There are a few options; you send in your ECM to have reprogrammed and they send it back. (Truck is down without the ECM.) Or you purchase ECM from them and they send it to you for an additional core charge that you would be refunded once you send them your ECM. (No down time that way). You can also choose to keep additional ECM to have as a backup. Best option IMO is to take a cruise up to their shop and have it tuned in person.

If you have a good relationship with your dealership, and they are knowledgeable, you should not have a problem if your tuned truck visits the shop. Reality is GDE’s tune (and maybe other tunes for that matter) probably prevent silly shop visits because of sensor malfunctions.

IMO it’s a necessary investment for the consumer planning to keep the truck outside of warranty.

Joey.3codiesel

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good afternoon fellas

My name is Jose and just recently bought a 2018 ram 1500 ecodiesel and I was wondering if there are any tunes and the 2018 model out there yet if so can y’all direct me in the right direction also another question when y’all say bench tune what do y’all mean?

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
I went to the dealer and they flashed the ECM via WIFI from their Ipad… service tech gave me a stupid look, and asked if I had done any upgrades! didn't ask before he flashed the updates.
I got my GDE tune after, and don't plan on going back to the stealership unless something breaks... that I can't fix.