• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgrading stock sound to audiophile level......

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
so one of my passions in life (other then kick ass trucks) is sound reproduction. My never ending quest for a perfect system started at a young age. Listening to my dads Klipsch/McIntosh home system is what got it all started.

I've gone through all the stages. Loud for the sake of loudness. BASS!!! They type that annoys you when your trying to relax and that kid drives by. To a true "hifi" home system.

This path has lead me into the DIY home speaker hobby that is over ten years old and provided me with a set of home speakers I could never afford in the commercial market.

Now a truck (or automobile in general) does not lend itself to good sound reproduction in the first place. But the factory sound in these trucks leaves much room for improvement. Even the Mark Levinson system (while much better then my Ram) in the wife's car has many areas that could be improved.

So I'm going to take on a new system install in my truck. This is going to be done on a budget. High value products are my main focus. Along with keeping the factory head unit, using only factory speaker locations, and only utililizing the space under my seats for equipment. When all said and done I don't want anyone to know anything isn't stock until the music starts to play.

The base of my system is going to be a set of "old school" amps that I remember drooling over back in the day. The highly acclaimed ES series from Sony mobile. A 4 channel XM-5046 and 2 channel XM-3026. These will be fed from a digital processor. Either the Audison Bit One or, newer PPI?Front speakers are TBD. But will be a 6" midbass in the door with a 3" full range in the dash. The rear doors will become small 6" or even 6x9 subwoofers. As I don't want a sub/box combo to take up any room in my already cramped QC.

I'm still in the planning/ gathering stage but, will take many pictures and post them as I go along for anyone interested.

And just because I'm so happy and proud of how my home speakers turned out. Here are some pics........just a shameless pat on my own back. Lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 9

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
I was not impressed with the sound quality either. I'll be eagerly awaiting your sound build.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
About 5 years ago I had a set of Kicker Subs in a box.. I wanted my rock music to sound good. I also have used Kenwood double din radios in my past trucks. Love them.

Looking forward to what you put together.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
About 5 years ago I had a set of Kicker Subs in a box.. I wanted my rock music to sound good. I also have used Kenwood double din radios in my past trucks. Love them.

Looking forward to what you put together.

With work and getting ready to move. Time has really been at a priemuim. I was hoping to have gotten the sound deadening done by now but, such is life. I've ordered everything I need for this build so as soon as I get a weekend to myself I'll start the write up/ install. Right now it's looking like a few weeks away.

Happy 4th everyone!!

Karson

Feb 10, 2019
Truck Year
Did you ever figure out the stock size speakers in your truck cause I have a 15’ lone star edition and wanting to upgrade my door speakers

Ldzielak

Mar 22, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I removed my system out of my 2005 Ram 3500, looking forward to getting it into my new 2018.

Here is my parts:
2x

Used the DSP for active crossover on fronts, used passive crossovers, bridged amp on rears. If I go 3way I may just get another amp with built in DSP for rears, then everything can be active.

6.5” 2way Front Speakers (could be trading them in and going 3way)

5.25” Rear Speakers

My old 13.5” sub will not work with the new center console but it was a beast, wish it could fit, someone else will enjoy I’m sure when I sell it.

so I may go with another stealth box like the one below or go custom fibreglass and 2x 12” in the same space.

2x
http://www.jlaudio.ca/12tw3-d8-car-audio-tw3-subwoofer-drivers-92194

Last edited: