• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

original factory ECM/GDE

littletexas

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Those of us who bought the GDE tune and kept their factory ECM for warranty work. If you let the dealer flash over the GDE tune and then get it updated how can the factory ECM be used for warranty work with the older flash? The dealer would find that on your first time in for warranty or service work. Would that not make the extra ECM useless without the new AEM flash? Also if your engine were to stop running for what ever reason and you traded out the ECM's you could not get the mileage to transfer to the because you need the engine to start to do this. Dealer would know something is up.
I was just thinking about this, what are your thoughts and remedy.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
You think too much.

Dealers really have little way to see the GDE tune and LESS incentive to do that. Rarely, maybe never, has there been a denial of warranty with the GDE hot tune. If all your equipment is in place, that's all you need.

Yesterday it took my dealer a couple hours to flash over my GDE tuned ECM. No issues as it has been always the past 5 years. Drove home and now am awaiting another GDE tune that was sent to me last week. Supposed to be here today but I see just not that UPS sent it to a wrong city after arrival here and is showing a delay.

I will not run my truck until the GDE is back in. Then just send the old re-programmed one back to GDE and they will get you a credit.

Simple. Stop living in your fears.

littletexas

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
You think too much.

Dealers really have little way to see the GDE tune and LESS incentive to do that. Rarely, maybe never, has there been a denial of warranty with the GDE hot tune. If all your equipment is in place, that's all you need.

Yesterday it took my dealer a couple hours to flash over my GDE tuned ECM. No issues as it has been always the past 5 years. Drove home and now am awaiting another GDE tune that was sent to me last week. Supposed to be here today but I see just not that UPS sent it to a wrong city after arrival here and is showing a delay.

I will not run my truck until the GDE is back in. Then just send the old re-programmed one back to GDE and they will get you a credit.

littletexas

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Captain, thank you for your reply,
So I will let the dealer flash over my GDE module and do as you have. I should not have kept the factory ECM. Wasted money. Live and learn.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Dealers really have little way to see the GDE tune and LESS incentive to do that

When a $20K repair bill is on the line for a overall disappointing motor, it's always good to let forum members know their warranty COULD BE VOID if they choose to tune the truck..

I will agree, it's a slight chance, but it's still a chance.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
When a $20K repair bill is on the line for a overall disappointing motor, it's always good to let forum members know their warranty COULD BE VOID if they choose to tune the truck..

I will agree, it's a slight chance, but it's still a chance.

Your founding premises are wrong.

First you can replace the entire motor in the $8K range. 'some have done that. Just have an independent garage do it with a new motor available from independent sources. Just look on the internet. $4-6K plus a couple $K in labor does the job. No $20K.

Next the motor is very pleasing to most owners. It is far from disappointing with many owners way over 100K miles, some over 200K miles and one I know passed the 1/2 million mark but did replace his motor just under 400K miles. People who suffer with repeated CEL's must be very uninformed and dealing with stock EGR operation along with DEF sensors. Both of those issues are easily rectified.

Third NO ONE has been denied warranty, that I have ever read about in over 5 years on forums, with a GDE tune and all the original emissions stuff in place. Some stupids added cold air intakes and other obvious changes to cause them problems. Detection of only a simple tune like GDE is very difficult for a dealer. Then ask yourself, why would a dealer try to hurt their customers?

It is sad how so many people choose to live in their fears.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
First you can replace the entire motor in the $8K range. 'some have done that. Just have an independent garage do it with a new motor available from independent sources. Just look on the internet. $4-6K plus a couple $K in labor does the job. No $20K.

Most people just have the dealer do it.. but, yes, we all know you can get it done cheaper. I would find the nearest co-part.com lot, get a decent engine.. then sale the truck.

Then ask yourself, why would a dealer try to hurt their customers?

Because it's usually not the dealers call. They typically will do everything to get something covered, but if the FCA rep comes down and goes through the truck and denies the warranty, most dealers aren't going to foot the bill.

It is sad how so many people choose to live in their fears.

We inform people here, but don't tell them what to do. It's a community to help people..simple as that. Not telling them tuning could possibly void their warranty is a disservice.

littletexas

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Suppose engine fails/blows running GDE and i switch to the original AEM flashed module for warranty work. It is my understanding the engine needs to start before mileage updates. I see a problem. Maybe Captain is right. If you are going to run the GDE tune do as he does only have the one ECM.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here's the facts, I will also report, Their are checking (FCA) Keep in mind every situation is handle differently.

The 3.0 just cannot survive in long term ownership with emission intact and DD use.

Factory warranty Voided emissions

Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete/defeat ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.

Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.

Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreements arise, they are generally decided by arbitration or Judge.

This statement is close to 10 Years old.

littletexas

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
You think too much.

Hey Captain,
After having the new emissions flashes and after reinstalling the GDE hot tune, has your transmission acting about the same as before the flash or is it bad enough to want the GDE trans tune? I hope after driving over time the trans will learn your driving habits and adjust.
Thanks Littletexas

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I would LOVE to know the answer to this question, I KNOW I will be getting the engine tune but I am on the fence about the trans tune.