• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running out of fuel

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Folks. After installing the GDE Tune, I've been trying to get farther and farther on a tank of Fuel. Of course, running out of fuel in a diesel is much more complicated than with a gas engine. My question is, what specific restart procedures does an owner use if they run out of fuel in the Ecodiesel. I glanced thru the manual, but didn't find it.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yup just cycle the ignition 3-5 times to prime the fuel system. Let the pump run until it shuts off each time (~15 sec?) Then fire it up

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I sure wish that would work. It won’t and I don’t have a clue what is going on
The prime didn't work? To prime you do not touch the brake pedal and cycle the ignition to the run position. You will hear the lift pump in the tank humming, once it stops making noise cycle ignition off, wait a moment and cycle back to run position, listen for pump noise. If no noise it is safe to start the engine.
Running low on fuel alone can cause early failure of the lift pump due to heat, I always recommend filling up at half full of fuel. Running out of fuel just ups the heat quotient. Also fill at half tank on DEF as well.