• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

mpg report from 4 or 6" lift kits?

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
anyone have mpg numbers for 4 or 6" lift kits? I'm thinking the lift may just be to much.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
It's not the lift as much as it's the accompanying 35" tall tires. I've been reading where it's knocking 4-6mpgs off the hwy mileage.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Ram spent a lot of time and effort getting the gearing set for these trucks for someone to go tinker with it...

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Ram spent a lot of time and effort getting the gearing set for these trucks for someone to go tinker with it...

People will always modify trucks... but my readings so far yes MPG is going to take a hit. But the truck doesn't really sit like a 4x4 which bothers me. maybe a leveling kit will make me happy.

ramtex

Sep 13, 2014
Truck Year
I started with a 3 inch spacers and a bed leveling 35s and 20s Mpgs went down from 25 to 23 combined Then I went to 6 inch lift total. It went down again to 22 mpg, added a winch as well, truck is 4x4. Hope it helps

Giuseppe

Jan 27, 2016
Truck Year
People will always modify trucks... but my readings so far yes MPG is going to take a hit. But the truck doesn't really sit like a 4x4 which bothers me. maybe a leveling kit will make me happy.
I installed a 2 1/2 inch level kit and my MPGs wasn't affected. Looks much better than the stock look and I still have the stock ride

Frank MAtiella

Jun 23, 2016
Truck Year
I know what you mean. Mine sits more like a 2 x 4. I put 315 75 x 17 on mine without a lift, and my millage did not suffer, it still sucks at 22 - 23 highway.
What kills milage on a lifted truck is the additional wind that gets under the truck and plays havoc with all these exposed components and protruding frame parts,and yes, bigger tires. If there was a way of streamlining the underside to prevent all those odd shaped items from catching wind it would help. Maybe a plastic shroud or super large skid plate that would cover most of the exposed items. But then, this would cause overheating of 4X4 components when you offroad since the heat from those components could not escape as easily. (Tranny heat, transfer case heat, catalytic converter heat). Its sounds like a good project for some of you younger and more energetic guys.

HotWheeleR

Feb 10, 2017
Truck Year
I also plan lifting my truck by 6 in I guess. So apart of the lift kit you say it's better to grab a skid plate to avoid mpg losses? I haven't thought of it yet, though sounds legit from the aerodynamic point of view. I was planning to keep my wheels and tires for now, just do the suspension job first. I was wondering, if that's true that I'll have to cut my control arm pockets? I've read some instructions and some like this one say that cutting is required, some say that it is not. I am concerned about this since I've got no tool to cut metal so far.