• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust system

Kim k

Jun 23, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2015 half ton eco diesel with 34,000 miles on. Yesterday I received a msg to check the electronic throttle control and suddenly could not go more than 35 mph. Took it in today and was told my exhaust system was 99% plugged. And I'm supposed to get the fuel filter changed every 30,000 miles. HOW does the exhaust system plug up on a vehicle like this and what can I do to prevent in the future?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a 2015 half ton eco diesel with 34,000 miles on. Yesterday I received a msg to check the electronic throttle control and suddenly could not go more than 35 mph. Took it in today and was told my exhaust system was 99% plugged. And I'm supposed to get the fuel filter changed every 30,000 miles. HOW does the exhaust system plug up on a vehicle like this and what can I do to prevent in the future?

Welcome to the site!

First, did you ever get any messages on the dash telling you the exhaust was getting full, or a "drive at highway speeds until this message clears" message?

EcoDiesels (and all new modern diesels) have a DPF that collects soot and other "harmful" particles and traps them in the exhaust. Once it's to a certain percent full the truck goes into a "regeneration mode" and burns that off. The truck has to be above a certain speed (highway speeds) for a certain amount of time so it can burn out some of the trapped material inside. If you fail to do this it will eventually clog up requiring the dealer to burn it out for you or even worse, a new DPF system.

Kim k

Jun 23, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome to the site!

First, did you ever get any messages on the dash telling you the exhaust was getting full, or a "drive at highway speeds until this message clears" message?

EcoDiesels (and all new modern diesels) have a DPF that collects soot and other "harmful" particles and traps them in the exhaust. Once it's to a certain percent full the truck goes into a "regeneration mode" and burns that off. The truck has to be above a certain speed (highway speeds) for a certain amount of time so it can burn out some of the trapped material inside. If you fail to do this it will eventually clog up requiring the dealer to burn it out for you or even worse, a new DPF system.

Kim k

Jun 23, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you for your help. Now I have written support to tell my husband I HAVE to go 80 on the highway cause it's good for the truck ! I did not receive any warning msg prior it plugging up completely

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thank you for your help. Now I have written support to tell my husband I HAVE to go 80 on the highway cause it's good for the truck ! I did not receive any warning msg prior it plugging up completely

I would ask Ram why you didn't get a message. You should always get a message when your close to getting full.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Really you don't need to be at freeway speed, but pay attention to any dummy lights from the dash.

Your truck just needs to run at a constant ~1800+rpm range for 15 minutes to do a full regeneration. I do mine in town in 1st or 2nd gear. And it regen's fine at 55-65mph also. 80 gets you there 60 seconds faster. Patience is key with this truck.

Dealers do forced regens at a standstill. Their computer just tells the truck to run at high rpm for 20 minutes to burn it off.

Semi tractors actually have forced regeneration buttons/controls due to their high idling and need for it so they just park and hit regen and bam the engine gives it hell for 40 minutes (while parked) and cleans the exhaust. Same exact feature the dealer has.

Also read your service manual. You're also due for differential Services and not only the fuel filter that is required service.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
My daily commute is 3 miles each way. It seemed that if I didn't take a trip each weekend my dpf would hit 70% and require an active regen. But I could let it idle for a couple minutes and then it start on my way to work. When I got there I would kick it into neutral and set the parking brake. Then rev rev it up to 2200 rpm and hold it there. The truck would finish the regen and all would be well. After 10k of this crap I did a full delete and now enjoy my truck with no regens.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My daily commute is 3 miles each way. It seemed that if I didn't take a trip each weekend my dpf would hit 70% and require an active regen. But I could let it idle for a couple minutes and then it start on my way to work. When I got there I would kick it into neutral and set the parking brake. Then rev rev it up to 2200 rpm and hold it there. The truck would finish the regen and all would be well. After 10k of this crap I did a full delete and now enjoy my truck with no regens.
Who did you use to tune the ECU for the delete? How is it in comparison to the truck it was when new? I've been considering it for the future based on longevity. That and the oil cooler upgrade. Figure those two things would eliminate the Chance of a lot of if's happening that could junk an engine

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
I went with gde but wish I would have used ppei instead. Its a decent difference a little less turbo lag. The main thing I wanted was to remove the emissions stuff and the exhaust braking feature.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ppei is a bit more performance orientated. Gde is health and efficiency

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
My gde tune runs to hot for towing. Im wishing I went with ppei towing tune which has lower than stock egts.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
My gde tune runs to hot for towing. Im wishing I went with ppei towing tune which has lower than stock egts.
Yea but at what costs? There has to be a trade off for lower EGTs....

-Brady

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The tow tune has less power its a 20hp tune which is like 5hp and around 40ft lbs of torque less than gde. Your not giving up much, id rather have power I can use allday long. But the gde tune is good none the less.

Oscar LAX

Jun 17, 2016
Truck Year
Just curious with any of the tunes are y'all at all worried about warranty issues. I have less than 10k miles on my truck, would love to do the ppei tune, actually would like the compound turbo kit Espos diesel (Ryan Esposito) sells but haven't won the lottery yet. Actually his kit really isn't that expensive considering the numbers, but damn this is a daily driver, and once again warranty scares the hell out of me. My next step is cold air intake then maybe tune I'm trying to do research on exhaust don't want to do def back then realize I didn't go far enough. Sorry kinda long winded.

Oscar LAX

Jun 17, 2016
Truck Year
I'm new to this site and did find some good info on warranty and basically its your on your own if you do it.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Its hit and miss on the warranty thing I had my oil cooler fail and they denied the claim. So I replaced it my self and bought an aftermarket kit from d&j diesel when it came out, problem solved. But they still fixed my window and an issue with my rambox under warranty. Its called a limited warranty.

Oscar LAX

Jun 17, 2016
Truck Year
I was just on EBAY and saw that AFE has a new tuner before they offered the scorcher. Now they offer the scorcher hd which gives double what they offered before, sounds like fun but I think cold air and filter back exhaust is the craziest I get for now.

CRAIG SCITES

Dec 13, 2016
Truck Year
I was just on EBAY and saw that AFE has a new tuner before they offered the scorcher. Now they offer the scorcher hd which gives double what they offered before, sounds like fun but I think cold air and filter back exhaust is the craziest I get for now.
I just added the HD on my other wise stock truck and I love the power increase and the new attitude of the transmission. Next will be a cold air intake. Any suggestions on the exhaust????

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just added the HD on my other wise stock truck and I love the power increase and the new attitude of the transmission. Next will be a cold air intake. Any suggestions on the exhaust????
Craig, the only exhaust that works with emissions intact would be a DPF back exhaust, and those are for looks only. You won't have any sound differences.

To run a full aftermarket exhaust , and to hear a sound difference, you would have to buy "off road tuning" that disables the emissions systems with the exhaust.