• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine light

bruce15

Apr 8, 2016
Truck Year
so I live in Canada have a 2015 eco diesal and love it. got 60000k in 6 months. only issue is the engine light won't stay off. apparently it's an emissions software issue. has had the software update. still not right. worst part. They keep telling me it's cause of the cold. I live in western canada it's gonna be cold Any suggestions

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
so I live in Canada have a 2015 eco diesal and love it. got 60000k in 6 months. only issue is the engine light won't stay off. apparently it's an emissions software issue. has had the software update. still not right. worst part. They keep telling me it's cause of the cold. I live in western canada it's gonna be cold Any suggestions

The engine light shouldn't stay on because it's cold. We've got some Canadians here, and I don't recall them having the same problems. Hopefully one will chime in here.

bruce15

Apr 8, 2016
Truck Year
The engine light shouldn't stay on because it's cold. We've got some Canadians here, and I don't recall them having the same problems. Hopefully one will chime in here.
it's a software issue that they're having up here. I know of 2 others and my sales man says they have 12 with the same issue. I'm led to believe that changes they made to help the def fluid not freeze led to this issue. can't figure how you sell a vehicle in Canada and then blame cold weather for problems

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm in Calgary, hitting 27,000 KM, my unit is 2015 Jan production, no issues, all is well. When the temperature is consistently below 10c, I use winter covers. I use the Edge monitor to watch all the temperatures and set alerts. When I first bought the truck, I did get an evic once, which they replaced a warp part. Wasn't aware of REGEN that much, Edge fixed that.

Last December, wash truck for trip to Ainsworth Hotspring, the next morning, it drop to -27 C. Took the trip, lots of moisture and I did get an evic, lost 5v. Once I got to Cranston, I did a clear and it never came back. Edge save me a nuisance trip to lousy Dodge dealer.

Just recently took a trip to Vernon, BC with the trailer, (6,000 lbs), watch my oil temperatures, it did climb a little over 250 F and my coolant climb to 225, when climbing the steep hills, once that happen I back off with the cruise and return to normal. Conclusion, when towing on steep grade, don't use Cruise control. I have concluded, the truck not design for that, over rate specs.

Last year, my EGT1 and EGT2 would peak 1500 F, but not this time. The only thing different, is my fuel, I still using Shell V-Power, it seems to improve things overall. Fuel economy improve by 2 when towing, it seems so far.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
All is well. I'm over 30,000 Kilometres. (eh Canada). No issues, no repairs, just oil changes every 10K KM. KO2 Tires are great, no wear visible. No complaints. I updated my Nav Ready, U-Connect, using Siri eye free, works okay. You touch your phone while in the car, even if stopped, you get a 300.00 ticket. Too many people driving with phone to their ears and even texting.

FYI: Interesting, the warranty for example is 100,000 miles in US, but in Canada, all miles changes to Kilometres, like 100,000 KM. FCA and the others are ripping off Canadian customers.

Otherwise, all okay at this time. Any changes, will advise.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I be leaving this forum, as I no longer own the 2015 EcoDiesel. I had no problems, no issues with it. I just found, it didn't have enough power for towing 6500 lbs and any heavier, it was useless for me. I'm in the mountain a lot and found it easily get too hot, forcing me to drop down in speed, to keep the temperatures in normal range. This is the only cons I have with it.

I switch over to the 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 L. I use it to tow the 28 foot Cougar trailer. So far, all okay, but too soon to comment on it.

Thanks

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Sorry to see you go. Good luck with your new truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I be leaving this forum, as I no longer own the 2015 EcoDiesel. I had no problems, no issues with it. I just found, it didn't have enough power for towing 6500 lbs and any heavier, it was useless for me. I'm in the mountain a lot and found it easily get too hot, forcing me to drop down in speed, to keep the temperatures in normal range. This is the only cons I have with it.

I switch over to the 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 L. I use it to tow the 28 foot Cougar trailer. So far, all okay, but too soon to comment on it.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that Seiko! We'd still love for you to drop by and give us your thoughts and opinions!!

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
My .02 cents....the engine warning light is also bugging me these days...my 2016 still has new (low) miles....under 4000 kms.....and the dealer has already replaced an exhaust gas sensor once, and now it's booked in for another service on Tuesday of next week...for the same problem.
Both my co-pilot (my spouse) and I are really enjoying this investment in our RV journey(s) but having this light coming on (way too) frequently on our trips so far is unsettling ..... No hiccups with the dealer here in Kelowna BC.....so far. Warranty doing what it's supposed to do.
The only info I'm getting from the dealer is a sense of sub-standard (?) replacement pieces ....
We'll see what next week's service and replacement part will do...GRRRRRR
RH Dake

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
My .02 cents....the engine warning light is also bugging me these days...my 2016 still has new (low) miles....under 4000 kms.....and the dealer has already replaced an exhaust gas sensor once, and now it's booked in for another service on Tuesday of next week...for the same problem.
Both my co-pilot (my spouse) and I are really enjoying this investment in our RV journey(s) but having this light coming on (way too) frequently on our trips so far is unsettling ..... No hiccups with the dealer here in Kelowna BC.....so far. Warranty doing what it's supposed to do.
The only info I'm getting from the dealer is a sense of sub-standard (?) replacement pieces ....
We'll see what next week's service and replacement part will do...GRRRRRR
RH Dake

todays Tuesday. let us know how it goes!

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
todays Tuesday. let us know how it goes!
Okaaaaay..2 sensors now replaced..exhaust gas sensor replaced (second time ) and a catalytic temp sensor replaced...The shop also upgraded (updated..2nd time) the software (it was out of date) on the computer. I wonder if it's a product (program) from that big company just south of us here...the one in Washington state...starts with an "M"...hahah...sorry..kidding... Other than that...this Ram is just fine...pulls our 24ft TravelAire easily ..no muss..no fuss...Having the 8 speed gearbox is soooooo nice.
Keep my fingers crossed (again) that this funky engine lite stays off for a while..I understand the idea of notifying you of problems (that's what it's supposed to do) but the frequency of it coming on was (at first) worrying me and now...well...it's annoying me..
Having a warranty sure is good !!
The 2008 Dakota we had for the last number of years, was like a rock..nothing broke on it...dependable as can be...even in the -15 to -20 winters we sometimes see here in the Okanagan Valley in BC
Long response...sorry..

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
We will pop in, once in awhile, to see what going on with the Ecodiesel. I been spending time with the cummins forums. Some of the Ecodiesel owners are on it too.

So far, the 2016 Ram 2500 6.7L 4x4, running great. Glad I made the switch, even the wife, loves it better. The 2500 has coils like the Ecodiesel, smooth ride, but firmer, while the 3500 has leaf spring and very bouncy. I think, one can get sea sick with the 3500.

I now towing 28 cougar with slide out, fully loaded I'm over 10,000 lbs. Pull like cutting butter. Extreme low rpms, hardly see it go over 2k and not by much when it does. While pulling the trailer up the hills. Over 385 hp and over 800 pound torque makes a big difference.

Just the exhaust brakes is a good enough reason to go the 2500 way. I met and talked with a few truck owners, some with diesel, but no exhaust brake, they no longer go into the mountains with their big trailers. Not enough braking and frightened to tow. The steepest incline, the exhaust brakes held the speed at point where I touch the brakes. Didn't have to use my brakes or trailer brakes, just light touch to engage the smart exhaust brake. It a must have feature.

I notice, the cheap fuel that the dealer filled the truck, was a bit sluggish. I fill up twice with the Shell V-Power and already noticing not sluggish cold. Each fill up ended with 18 L/per 100km. Towing in the Canadian Rockies. Too soon to figure out the fuel economy on it. Toward end of the month, taking a trip without trailer, so it be interesting to see what fuel will be like on a long trip, without a load.

I had to update my Edge CS2, so now it works on the Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel. Never saw the EGT 1 to 5, go over 800 F, even towing above speed limit up the hills.

There are some features that I would like, but I would need to buy the Juice Altitude unit. May end up selling the CS2. Edge offered me 150.00 US, but declined. Unit is less than a year old.

Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I thought I do a quick checkin and update you on the new purchase, 2016 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel.

So far, I am happy with it and glad I did the switch. Still low mileage on the truck, but on one trip from Kelowna, BC to east side of Calgary, AB. My fuel economy was 10.2 l/per 100km. The best I did with the 2015 Ecodiesel was 9.1. On that rocky mountain trip, I was averaging 10 % over speed limit, and pushing it on the passing lanes, due to so much trailer traffic.

The 2016 ram 2500 comes with rear springs, not leafs, (not so on the the 3500 or previous years) so the ride is excellent.

Of course, it not as quiet as the EcoDiesel, but not an issue. The only CON I can find, which is pushing it. lol

The exhaust brake is just fantastic, they added a smart mode, which makes going down steep hills a breeze, touch the brake to the speed you want and it hold it there. A must with large trailers. When towing, (10,000 lbs) I use the cruise, even on long hills in the rocky mountains, it hardly doesn't drop down to shift, if it does, it only for a short burst.

The highway RPM usually stick around 2k. The RPM run must lower than the EcoDiesel, despite the 8 shift. It extremely rare to see it go up to 2500 RPM.

So far, I'm sleeping well, without worrying about engine failures. Oil changes is cheaper too than the EcoDiesel.

The coldest morning start is -20C, below 0 F and start up well, a bit rough for a few seconds and then it smooth out. Not plug in at all, but I leave the winter covers on when it is consistently under 10 Celsius.

I installed the KO2 All Terrain, weather and snow flake symbol on this truck and it sure improved the handling and cornering with these tires, over what came with the truck. Experience the same benefits as I did on the EcoDiesel

I still use the Shell V-Power diesel, it makes a difference in many ways. Once in awhile I try the cheaper stuff and doesn't take long before I switch back. Worth the extra cost. Experience the same benefits as I did on the EcoDiesel

Until next time, take care...

Last edited:

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
I thought I do a quick checkin and update you on the new purchase, 2016 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel.

So far, I am happy with it and glad I did the switch. Still low mileage on the truck, but on one trip from Kelowna, BC to east side of Calgary, AB. My fuel economy was 10.2 l/per 100km. The best I did with the 2015 Ecodiesel was 9.1. On that rocky mountain trip, I was averaging 10 % over speed limit, and pushing it on the passing lanes, due to so much trailer traffic.

The 2016 ram 2500 comes with rear springs, not leafs, (not so on the the 3500 or previous years) so the ride is excellent.

Of course, it not as quiet as the EcoDiesel, but not an issue. The only CON I can find, which is pushing it. lol

The exhaust brake is just fantastic, they added a smart mode, which makes going down steep hills a breeze, touch the brake to the speed you want and it hold it there. A must with large trailers. When towing, (10,000 lbs) I use the cruise, even on long hills in the rocky mountains, it hardly doesn't drop down to shift, if it does, it only for a short burst.

The highway RPM usually stick around 2k. The RPM run must lower than the EcoDiesel, despite the 8 shift. It extremely rare to see it go up to 2500 RPM.

So far, I'm sleeping well, without worrying about engine failures. Oil changes is cheaper too than the EcoDiesel.

The coldest morning start is -20C, below 0 F and start up well, a bit rough for a few seconds and then it smooth out. Not plug in at all, but I leave the winter covers on when it is consistently under 10 Celsius.

I installed the KO2 All Terrain, weather and snow flake symbol on this truck and it sure improved the handling and cornering with these tires, over what came with the truck. Experience the same benefits as I did on the EcoDiesel

I still use the Shell V-Power diesel, it makes a difference in many ways. Once in awhile I try the cheaper stuff and doesn't take long before I switch back. Worth the extra cost. Experience the same benefits as I did on the EcoDiesel

Until next time, take care...

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
Good morning from the snowy (and ..brrrr...cold) Okanagan Valley in BC....
With respect to hearing and reading the updates from everyone, there's lots of good and encouraging news and experiences..To diverge a bit from the topic, I've been following several different sources on problems with the Eco Diesel over the late summer and into fall and now (almost officially..it arrives on the 21st of this month) winter and (touch wood) the problems I've had have been minor.
The experience I've had with the persistent engine warning light was cured last month...The local Dodge dealer had the truck in and out of their shop since August, and they finally got a bit MORE Serious and kept the truck for 4 days (apparently) going thru the air and exhaust systems with more attention than I think was initially done..
At the end of this last go-around, I was told that all the sensors (some of which were replaced under warranty) were re-tightened and gone over AGAIN. I was told that the shop was in more in-depth contact with the factory(?) and their staff..and the solution apparently was a MUCH MORE THOROUGH service on all these connections and fittings.
I am still waiting for a copy of the service report so I can go over it and try to understand this process more..
Bottom line.. the engine lite is now OFF and has not recurred...It's now time for the first oil change which I will deal with after the Holidays, and then perhaps I'll also get some more info on this sensor service..
I'm still happy with this truck...the fuel mileage is still impressive (seeing as how local diesel prices are climbing now a little bit......lowest this A.M. was 1.05 /litre (Canada ya know...hahahahhaha) at the Save-On station close by here..
So...that's the latest and greatest in my owner-ship of this truck...
Still a happy camper...
RH Dake