• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New member from Oklahoma

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
Hello everyone, thought I'd take a few minutes to introduce myself and post a pic of my 2015 Longhorn ED. I've been a car guy forever and the ED makes #98 on my list of owned vehicles. I've had a mix of cars and trucks and am not afraid to try new things or brands when something interests me. I've had Dodge trucks before back in 1995-1997 and appreciated them for their uniqueness and roomy cabs. I've had some diesel experience too starting with a 1980 Chevrolet Cheyenne 1/2 ton with the 5.7 liter Olds diesel engine. It was okay - as long as the glow plugs were clean, both batteries were charged, you had a can of ether handy and a spare engine in the garage. The best solution for them was to stick a 455 Olds gas in as a transplant, then you had something. I also had a 1983 GMC 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter diesel that was made by Detroit Diesel. It was much better than the 350, but could be hard to start if the glow plugs got too much soot on them. I got out of diesel trucks when I sold that one in 1991.

I watched the launch of the 2013 Rams and really liked what I saw. I also followed the roll-out of the EcoDiesel and was very interested in them, but those memories of glow plugs, ether, and a cab that smelled like diesel fuel were still present from the GM diesel days. In the summer of 2014 I was ready to trade trucks and had the Ram LongHorn as my number one choice, but I had waited too long and the selection was low and the 2015s hadn't started to arrive yet. I also found a demo 2014 ED on the lot not too far away, but after some forum research and reading about $200 oil changes, early problems and other things, I decided I'd stay with gas. I ended up with a Tundra 1794 that was a good truck and gave me zero problems, but it loved that gas. In May I traded the Tundra for a 2016 LongHorn Hemi that is loaded and I like it very much. After taking a vacation in the LongHorn and enjoying the ride, excellent stereo, nav, and uConnect, I began entertaining the idea of trading in my second car for an EcoDiesel. I had a 2014 4Runner Limited that was a nice vehicle, but 19-20 mpg was the norm. I found a used 2015 LongHorn ED 2wd with only 7500 miles and made the trade. In less than 2 weeks, I've put over 13 00 miles on the ED with zero problems. I've averaged over 25mpg on the first two tanks and know it will do even better.

Looking forward to reading the posts and learning all I can here.

eco day 1.JPG

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Welcome. Nice looking truck. I hope you find a much better experience with this diesel!

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
So if I'm reading your post correctly, you now have two Laramie Longhorns; one diesel and the other a hemi?

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
That's a good question. It's like having two kids or two pets I suppose. They are unique and each does certain things well. I bought the Hemi new after looking for one with the black and cattle tan interior, and it's about completely loaded with air suspension, sunroof, etc. It's fun to drive because of the rumble of the Hemi and the go when you put your right foot down. I'm not all that thrilled about the MDS and can hear it when only 4 cylinders are running, it's a little like having a young 'banger kid behind you with his bass turned way up, but maybe he's back a couple of car lengths. I love the smell of the new leather and the sunroof just for a bit of light in the roof. I like the uConnect improvements for '16, but they both work very well. The '16 has the 32 gallon tank, so even at 17 to 18 mpg, it will go a long ways. Maybe I consider it my first born? In any case, I really enjoy driving it. There's something about having the ED that makes you think you have to drive like a miser and always try for that best mileage or tank. I don't feel that way with the Hemi, so I just drive it and enjoy it. I do like to get on it once in a while just to hear it.

The throttle on the ED is a little harder to press down than the Hemi for some reason, maybe by design, but I notice that I have to think about it more. The ED is quieter at cruise than the Hemi, probably for a couple of reasons; one they tuned the exhaust system to optimize the sound of the Hemi and you can always hear just a little rumble. Two, that MDS bass sound is not present with the ED. I'm very impressed at how quiet the ED is at cruise. The ED being purchased used didn't give me the chance to pick anything. While it looks nice on the outside, I'd be happier if it had the black and cattle tan interior. Instead it has the canyon brown filagree with the light frost. I've never been crazy about the filagree, but I'm doing okay with it and it doesn't bother me. Both trucks drive great, but the computer on the ED has a mind of it's own sometimes. For example, I have the speed alert warning set to alert me at 6 mph over the speed limit. It does that okay, but often you'll be going down the highway with the cruise set exactly on the speed limit and it will tell you what the speed limit is, even when it agrees with the limit in the nav screen. Today it did that twice in about 3 miles. I enjoy them both and like to change frequently to appreciate their differences.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
That's a good question. It's like having two kids or two pets I suppose. They are unique and each does certain things well. I bought the Hemi new after looking for one with the black and cattle tan interior, and it's about completely loaded with air suspension, sunroof, etc. It's fun to drive because of the rumble of the Hemi and the go when you put your right foot down. I'm not all that thrilled about the MDS and can hear it when only 4 cylinders are running, it's a little like having a young 'banger kid behind you with his bass turned way up, but maybe he's back a couple of car lengths. I love the smell of the new leather and the sunroof just for a bit of light in the roof. I like the uConnect improvements for '16, but they both work very well. The '16 has the 32 gallon tank, so even at 17 to 18 mpg, it will go a long ways. Maybe I consider it my first born? In any case, I really enjoy driving it. There's something about having the ED that makes you think you have to drive like a miser and always try for that best mileage or tank. I don't feel that way with the Hemi, so I just drive it and enjoy it. I do like to get on it once in a while just to hear it.

The throttle on the ED is a little harder to press down than the Hemi for some reason, maybe by design, but I notice that I have to think about it more. The ED is quieter at cruise than the Hemi, probably for a couple of reasons; one they tuned the exhaust system to optimize the sound of the Hemi and you can always hear just a little rumble. Two, that MDS bass sound is not present with the ED. I'm very impressed at how quiet the ED is at cruise. The ED being purchased used didn't give me the chance to pick anything. While it looks nice on the outside, I'd be happier if it had the black and cattle tan interior. Instead it has the canyon brown filagree with the light frost. I've never been crazy about the filagree, but I'm doing okay with it and it doesn't bother me. Both trucks drive great, but the computer on the ED has a mind of it's own sometimes. For example, I have the speed alert warning set to alert me at 6 mph over the speed limit. It does that okay, but often you'll be going down the highway with the cruise set exactly on the speed limit and it will tell you what the speed limit is, even when it agrees with the limit in the nav screen. Today it did that twice in about 3 miles. I enjoy them both and like to change frequently to appreciate their differences.

Great write up. Thanks for sharing! We get that question a lot here.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
After thinking about the speed limit thing, I looked at the settings menu in the nav and found that having it announce the speed limit is a completely separate thing than the mph over the speed limit warning. You can turn it off and still get the over limit warning. So, the computer is fine and was doing exactly what I had asked it to do. Go figure.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Aside from the black exterior and 6.5' box I could've sold you mine and it'd be loaded to match your hemi (maybe a little more). ;) air suspension, sunroof, HID lights, cattle tan leather.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Aside from the black exterior and 6.5' box I could've sold you mine and it'd be loaded to match your hemi (maybe a little more). ;) air suspension, sunroof, HID lights, cattle tan leather.

Are you wanting something else?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Are you wanting something else?
Not that I'm wanting. I love my truck but I should get down to a little more reasonable payment with 2 kids now

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Understood.
And the wifes been out of work for a while pregnant. And now will be for 2 or 3 more months. And is going back to school.

The list goes on and on.

Not entirely decided yet but I'm considering it more than I'd like to admit

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
I like that Prairie Pearl, it goes well with the white gold lower. Great looking truck!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Do you have a preference as to which truck you use for towing? Also, do you know why the ED was traded in?