• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DPF Regeneration's

Mario

Sep 16, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Ram fan's,

I'm still waiting for my truck to be delivered and I had a brain fart lately. I read on DPF regeneration because i heard some persons had issues with regeneration or fuel effenciency. I know that some diesel model cars havn't DPF regeneration because their DP Filter is closer to the exhaust manifold but what about the Ram truck?

Does Ram truck in their model 2016-2017 still need to do regeneration and how often does it need to be done?

I know that diesel engine has to have a system avoiding black smoke (exhaust pollution/ or soot)be spread in the atmosphere but i thought that maybe Chrysler change the exhaust system such as re-designed exhaust system installing DPF closer to the exhaust.

Thoughts? anyone?

Mario

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi Ram fan's,

I'm still waiting for my truck to be delivered and I had a brain fart lately. I read on DPF regeneration because i heard some persons had issues with regeneration or fuel effenciency. I know that some diesel model cars havn't DPF regeneration because their DP Filter is closer to the exhaust manifold but what about the Ram truck?

Does Ram truck in their model 2016-2017 still need to do regeneration and how often does it need to be done?

I know that diesel engine has to have a system avoiding black smoke (exhaust pollution/ or soot)be spread in the atmosphere but i thought that maybe Chrysler change the exhaust system such as re-designed exhaust system installing DPF closer to the exhaust.

Thoughts? anyone?

Mario

All new modern diesels have the DPF filter and require regenerations to be performed to keep the filter clean. These happen automatically when the filter reaches a threshold in the programming.

My personal opinion, if the filter is closer to the front or the back it doesn't really matter as the particles can't escape and it's going to get trapped either way in the DPF..

John

Nov 13, 2015
The ecodiesel will regenerate approx. every 100-300 miles depending on type of driving.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
The ecodiesel will regenerate approx. every 100-300 miles depending on type of driving.
Yes and in my opinion you'll be a much happier owner driving blindly, not knowing when this occurs. With a monitor, you'll see it happen and drive to finish the cycle which can be a real pain in the arse. Better practice? Maybe. But ignorance in this case can be bliss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MBDon

Sep 14, 2016
Truck Year
I agree totally with Brady. Just drive it and don't worry about the regen. It will take care of itself.

Edax7336

Oct 20, 2016
Truck Year
i recently had the regen happen to me. i was expecting it. but it wasn't as bad as i thought. i work with tier 3 and 4 engines (heavy machinery) and when a regen starts you loose power and the rpm increase (engine heats up and burns out the carbon)... but with my 2015 xt the regen came on, but as long as you drive over (sorry canadian) 80 km an hour , the engine will get hotter (see it in the temp gauge) and you can watch it (regen for me starts and 80%full) go down, 70%, 60% so on until its says regen finished. and immediately i noticed my fuel consumption was so much better.... night and day. Went to the local dodge and asked it there was a way to manually start a regen. Yes, but id have to bring it in and they would set it up in diagnostic to start....

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
i recently had the regen happen to me. i was expecting it. but it wasn't as bad as i thought. i work with tier 3 and 4 engines (heavy machinery) and when a regen starts you loose power and the rpm increase (engine heats up and burns out the carbon)... but with my 2015 xt the regen came on, but as long as you drive over (sorry canadian) 80 km an hour , the engine will get hotter (see it in the temp gauge) and you can watch it (regen for me starts and 80%full) go down, 70%, 60% so on until its says regen finished. and immediately i noticed my fuel consumption was so much better.... night and day. Went to the local dodge and asked it there was a way to manually start a regen. Yes, but id have to bring it in and they would set it up in diagnostic to start....

Yes. they have the tool to do it. I think a edge CTS monitor will actually have a button to start the regen process as well.

John

Nov 13, 2015

The regen that starts at 80% and shows the countdown on the EVIC is a result of normal active regens not completing. The active regen normally starts at about 65% and you will not see any notice on the EVIC. It simply takes place in the background. The active regen will take place approx every 100-300 miles.

The dealer can use their WiTech tool to force a regen even it the soot level is at 100% and the truck is in limp mode.

The Edge Insight can force a regen at any soot level as long as the truck is not already in limp mode.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
The regen that starts at 80% and shows the countdown on the EVIC is a result of normal active regens not completing. The active regen normally starts at about 65% and you will not see any notice on the EVIC. It simply takes place in the background. The active regen will take place approx every 100-300 miles.

The dealer can use their WiTech tool to force a regen even it the soot level is at 100% and the truck is in limp mode.

The Edge Insight can force a regen at any soot level as long as the truck is not already in limp mode.

thats good info thanks!