• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fuel contamination issues

maryannpwrs

Apr 15, 2016
Truck Year
Im looking for anyone who has had fuel contamination issues with their eco diesel. My truck is in the shop getting an entirely new fuel system. my fuel is LOADED with dirt and water…mud. I was having constant stalling and when they checked the fuel they found mud. I only fill up my truck at home from my own fuel tank and we have other vehicles and equipment we run on the same fuel and they are all fine. I had our fuel delivery company do independent testing on both my tank at home and from the tank in my truck, the fuel in the tank at home is perfect. Ram is saying my truck was vandalized therefore it is not a warranty item but I have a really hard time believing that anyone put dirt and water in my tank. I have heard stories of something breaking on a vent in the fuel system which in turn caused a vacuum sucking in dirt and water as the truck was driving but I haven't been able to confirm this. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
thank you.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Im looking for anyone who has had fuel contamination issues with their eco diesel. My truck is in the shop getting an entirely new fuel system. my fuel is LOADED with dirt and water…mud. I was having constant stalling and when they checked the fuel they found mud. I only fill up my truck at home from my own fuel tank and we have other vehicles and equipment we run on the same fuel and they are all fine. I had our fuel delivery company do independent testing on both my tank at home and from the tank in my truck, the fuel in the tank at home is perfect. Ram is saying my truck was vandalized therefore it is not a warranty item but I have a really hard time believing that anyone put dirt and water in my tank. I have heard stories of something breaking on a vent in the fuel system which in turn caused a vacuum sucking in dirt and water as the truck was driving but I haven't been able to confirm this. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
thank you.

Since you say everything else is running fine vandalism is really your only option left. I would turn it in in insurance.. Otherwise out if pocket fixing your fuel system will not be cheap.

Aussiewife

Sep 20, 2016
Truck Year
thank you.

I have a 2015 Lonestar 4x4 Eco with less than 20,000 miles on it. No other issues until 09-14-2016 when it shut down. After a week of shop investigating the issue they dropped the tank and found the same thing you just described here. They also added that my fuel filter was completely black. They also told me it's not covered under warranty and today I filed my claim with my insurance. I've seen posts on other forums with the same issue...so wondering how much of this is actually contaminated fuel...and not a Eco issue.

John

Nov 13, 2015
thank you.

what did the independent testing show for the tank in the truck?

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
There are many new vehicles that have a capless fill system.....I had a 2010 F150 truck for work and it had one of the first capless gas tanks and never had an issue with it, I put 150k miles on that truck before I had to turn it back in. Someone else is driving it now and its at around 200k miles and still never an issue with not having a gas cap.....we have 5 other trucks the same model and age and at least that many miles, none have had any fuel contamination issues....I'm sure diesel injectors and fuel system are more sensitive to contamination but how much can actually get past the flap? I'm leaving the plastic plug on mine none the less until it breaks at least.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
If indeed mud is found then either someone really, really doesn't like you, and purposely stuffed your tank with mud or your dealer is overstating water contamination (as mud) having said that Diesel is not regulated like gas. I suspect bad quality diesel.

Edax7336

Oct 20, 2016
Truck Year
i have had similar problems with that in other makes of trucks...with this 'capless' style there is a chance of dust to enter. unless you saw the mud in your fuel tank. There is more likely a thick film of mud. Regardless, its dodge's way of saving 5.oo and put the problem on us. Mopar does sell a 'plug' style cap for an arm and leg. I got one.

The only way to see if there is 'stuff' in your fuel tank (and i do this regularly) i check for contaminates.. Go to your local thrift shop, buy a white cotton bed sheet and in the mornings when the fuel has a chance to settle. use the sheet as a strainer.. being white you can see everything.. Its a little harder seeing if the fuel is dyed but with a flash light you'll find it.. I find stuff, especially metal, and that can only come from where it is manufactured. Gas stations have a filters before it goes into the vehicle but a delivery service goes directly into the tank. Where i live i can get the deliver company to filter it. but of course it costs more..

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
There are many new vehicles that have a capless fill system.....I had a 2010 F150 truck for work and it had one of the first capless gas tanks and never had an issue with it, I put 150k miles on that truck before I had to turn it back in. Someone else is driving it now and its at around 200k miles and still never an issue with not having a gas cap.....we have 5 other trucks the same model and age and at least that many miles, none have had any fuel contamination issues....I'm sure diesel injectors and fuel system are more sensitive to contamination but how much can actually get past the flap? I'm leaving the plastic plug on mine none the less until it breaks at least.
not going to start a pissing match here, but have you seen how dirt is attracted to diesel fuel exposed to the elements vs gasoline? gas evaporates very quickly, diesel kind of hangs around for a long time, I highly recommend a cap over the filling port at all times while not in use

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
not going to start a pissing match here, but have you seen how dirt is attracted to diesel fuel exposed to the elements vs gasoline? gas evaporates very quickly, diesel kind of hangs around for a long time, I highly recommend a cap over the filling port at all times while not in use
X2 $2.50 2' vent cap form Home depot works great, just a little trimming and fits nice.

I posted this at 1500.com so I will post it here.

Most Insurance companies require daily reports inspections on under ground Tanks, that means privately owned station must comply, Now Corp Station may be self insured. MNBlue Does all most all the Tank cleaning scrubbing In MN Parts of WI / IA call them and they will tell you who has the cleanest tanks.

MN
1 Superamerica
2 KwikTrip
3 Holiday

But I did get contaminate fuel form Holiday June of 2013 , and it was a corp Station , I was PO for years, It was a empty transfer (100 Gallon) tank that Was just Cleaned BY ME at Bioclean Systems, I have close ties to this company for 34 Years, We know how to clean Tanks, it was check By ME, Scott , Blaine. it was bone dry and perfectly clean, When filling the transfer tank I started the Auxiliary tanks Pump which is equip wit Zinga AE-3AZL filter ,The Best Aqua-Zorb filter I know, The Transfer pump shut down almost immediately (Filter plugged 100% shut), I then checked the tank WOW I stopped the retail Pump at Holiday and found the Station Manager to check it out it had 62 Gallons pump in, She said She would call corp office ,GO FOT IT I'm not moving and call the police, Blaine Police arrived and verified the contamination , Corp send MNBlue to stick the Tank I waited until MNBlue arrived, it was ***** and I know this person and we torpedo sample the tank It had some sentiments but that was it , What happen was Tanker just left minutes before I showed up and dropped 9500 Gallons of clear #2 this stirred the Tank and I suck up a pocket of water. Holiday Did nothing. MNBlue Pumped My auxiliary tank Dry, I Changed the Zinga filter which after inspection the element was laden with water, I filled at SA stirred the tank with the auxiliary Pump changed the Zinga filter again and all was good, Here's a picture of the fuel Pod the sample was taken form

Attachments

• Fuel Pod Tank Holiday.jpg
    Fuel Pod Tank Holiday.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2013 fueling.jpg
    2013 fueling.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
How would you get mud down a 2 gated neck ? Seems not likely and would be time consuming to hold open both gates and poor mud/dirt.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
It does seem absolutely rediculous a 54K dollar truck comes without a damn gas cap.
My wife's 2013 Charger also has a capless system. Noticed Geno's Garage has a nice aluminum green anodized dust cover in their latest catalog. I plan on ordering, keeping the $.15 plastic cap until it arrives.

Koots

Mar 28, 2018
Truck Year
thank you.

I have a 2015 ram eco diesel with 35,000 km on it and they are saying that my tank has to be dropped and cleaned out due to fuel contamination. Oddly enough I go to the same station all the time and never had an issue. Friend of mine use the same station without a problem as well. I attached some pictures of what came out of my fuel filter. The dealership has now replaced my whole fuel system. From the pump, fuel rail system, injectors, lines ect. They also dropped the tranny and replaced the crank sensor.

Anyone know what the cost is to drop the tank and empty it of contaminants?

Attachments

• IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5155.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 19

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've seen that before...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep its pocket of bad fuel that the pump suck up, it generally happens after transport has stirred the Tank, The picture is the Bad Fuel I suck up bad in June 2013, it was stopped by My Auxiliary System. Post 10

Attachments

• fuel contaminated.jpg
    fuel contaminated.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Bad fuel SS.jpg
    Bad fuel SS.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 19

Koots

Mar 28, 2018
Truck Year
The tank is full of it. It took out the injector pump and clogged the fuel system. The main fuel filter didn't work.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My 90 Gallon Auxiliary Tank Had 60 Gallons of whats in the bucket. MNBlue Suck it Dry for Me, We even Dipped the Tank Check Post 10, So I got the WHOLE pocket of crud.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It was this filter (Zinga) that 100% plugged when transferring to Factory tank. Keep in mind this truck and My ED have the same Auxiliary System, All My Diesel have Auxiliary systems. My Big Ram's all have Auxiliary and transfer Systems.

Attachments

• Zinga Ae-3AZL.jpg
    Zinga Ae-3AZL.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2013 Dual Fuel_Filter (4).jpg
    2013 Dual Fuel_Filter (4).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 14