• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter

stormcom

Oct 22, 2016
Truck Year
Why can't Ram use a screw on fuel filter that has a little more capacity so it can go further? A screw on one would be a whole lot easier to change.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Why can't Ram use a screw on fuel filter that has a little more capacity so it can go further? A screw on one would be a whole lot easier to change.
30,000 miles on a diesel fuel filter is a very long service life out of a diesel fuel filter. I was thinking about 15,000 being a more reasonable service interval.Can't say that I've changed one yet so I don't know the difficulty of the procedure. The horizontal fuel conditioning module on the frame rail on the 6.0-6.4 ford was not much fun and usually makes a mess. Every duramax after 2007 also kind of sucks to change, my 2012 LML was crappy, pretty much had to pull the whole passenger side fender liner. Point is they all suck to change a little, which is why they probably design them that way so you take it in to the shop or hopefully the dealer and let them change it.

stormcom

Oct 22, 2016
Truck Year
30,000 miles on a diesel fuel filter is a very long service life out of a diesel fuel filter. I was thinking about 15,000 being a more reasonable service interval.Can't say that I've changed one yet so I don't know the difficulty of the procedure. The horizontal fuel conditioning module on the frame rail on the 6.0-6.4 ford was not much fun and usually makes a mess. Every duramax after 2007 also kind of sucks to change, my 2012 LML was crappy, pretty much had to pull the whole passenger side fender liner. Point is they all suck to change a little, which is why they probably design them that way so you take it in to the shop or hopefully the dealer and let them change it.

I was told 15k to 20k on a filter max. That is why I wondered about a larger filter. $200.00 when you have to have it changed. There is a good youtube video showing the tool you need and how to change it. In the olden days, we had racor filters which lasted forever.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
yeah, unfortunately for us these days is the injection system works at much higher pressures and has much finer tolerances which require a filter to catch particles down to 3 microns or so compared to the good ol days of 10 microns or greater. Factory service manual deems it a 30,000 mile filter.

Radio_Flyer

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I ordered the Geno's tool for removal and the brass plug replacement for it. Hoping that will help out. It shouldn't be half as bad at the 6.4 Ford was. I got drenched and so did my driveway every change. I have been seeing that some people are getting a Fumoto(Oil Change) quick release to replace the plastic plug. Have to keep an eye and see if it helps.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I ordered the Geno's tool for removal and the brass plug replacement for it. Hoping that will help out. It shouldn't be half as bad at the 6.4 Ford was. I got drenched and so did my driveway every change. I have been seeing that some people are getting a Fumoto(Oil Change) quick release to replace the plastic plug. Have to keep an eye and see if it helps.
I ordered the brass plug from Geno's but the $60 cap wrench is a waste of money. I use a $6.00 full size oil filter strap wrench to break mine loose when necessary.

I follow oil change intervals personally at 7-8k; while waiting for the oil to drain I drain the fuel filter housing. The following oil change I replace the fuel filter. Simple enough. And a $40 fuel filter is absolutely ridiculous to pay a dealer to replace with an hour and a half labor. It's a 5 minute drain or 10 minute replacement. And that includes priming the fuel system!

Place a ice cream pail on top of your drive shaft and there's no mess.

And unless you're a keg kinda fella even on a creeper you can fit under the rear axle to get to it all

upnovr

Nov 2, 2016
Truck Year
I found the filters online for $21.75 each plus shipping. Ordered two and came out to 55.90 with shipping. I'll bet if someone's willing to order in bulk you can really see some price benefits. Also got the genos drain plug after watching some videos.

I think placing a large zip lock bag over the filter the first time I remove the it is gonna save me a big mess.
Here's where I got my filters. https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...KWoLh-c5xPo96TGwUrx7skcQMD4Yh83CZ8aAhBU8P8HAQ

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I found the filters online for $21.75 each plus shipping. Ordered two and came out to 55.90 with shipping. I'll bet if someone's willing to order in bulk you can really see some price benefits. Also got the genos drain plug after watching some videos.

I think placing a large zip lock bag over the filter the first time I remove the it is gonna save me a big mess.
Here's where I got my filters. https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...KWoLh-c5xPo96TGwUrx7skcQMD4Yh83CZ8aAhBU8P8HAQ
Yep we've got a link here with all the oe Filters for our trucks on the top of the maintenance page. I order from that company for fuel Filters as well, and occasionally throw in a oil filter but I typically run aftermarket for those. But still you found the best place to get them! But $200 for free shipping is a little ridiculous. That's a year+ worth of fuel oil and air Filters all in one order. At that point you'd probably be saving

(If you're just looking for 1 ebay usually has an OE mopar fuel filter for ~38$ so it's pretty close split)

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
The Fuel Filter wrench from Geno's works great, also the replacement brass drain is simple to install. Trust me the POS drain plug that is there does not even work.
Personally you should be changing your fuel filter at least twice a year, just before winter and just after winter. If you do this you will help ensure that you catch all of that nasty stuff from the winter fuel change over. Beside you know what Frame use to say "You can Pay me Now, or You can Pay me later"

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
The Fuel Filter wrench from Geno's works great, also the replacement brass drain is simple to install. Trust me the POS drain plug that is there does not even work.
Personally you should be changing your fuel filter at least twice a year, just before winter and just after winter. If you do this you will help ensure that you catch all of that nasty stuff from the winter fuel change over. Beside you know what Frame use to say "You can Pay me Now, or You can Pay me later"
It's actually #2 diesel that's dirty, #1 is more refined, but it has tendency to bind with the contaminants that #2 won't. Therefore you are correct, but the dirty fuel is actually the summer blend