• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Remote Start Issue..

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Morning all, I'm new to this forum. My 2015 ED service engine light has come on, It's telling me something is up with the DEF sensor and to contact the dealer. I've got my appointment set for Monday the 14th. My question is my remote starter starts the truck runs for about 15 seconds and than shuts off.. Would the faulty sensor cause my remote starter from keeping the truck running? when I manually start the engine she runs great. I guess I'm wondering if I have 2 issues on the burner..

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Morning all, I'm new to this forum. My 2015 ED service engine light has come on, It's telling me something is up with the DEF sensor and to contact the dealer. I've got my appointment set for Monday the 14th. My question is my remote starter starts the truck runs for about 15 seconds and than shuts off.. Would the faulty sensor cause my remote starter from keeping the truck running? when I manually start the engine she runs great. I guess I'm wondering if I have 2 issues on the burner..

My 2016 with just 1700 miles on it just got out of the shop for the exact same condition. The dealer called an hour after I dropped the truck off and said it was ready. They said an electrical connection for the DEF system under the truck had disconnected. All they did was reconnected the connection. They said the warning light will continue until I drive about 30 miles so the truck can re-learn the connection. They were correct, error message went away at start up after about 25 miles of use.

Having said this, you may want to get on a creeper and slide underneath and look around your exhaust and DEF system. You may see an obvious disconnection that you can resolve yourself.

On a side note, my dealer went above and beyond. I asked them to enable the daytime running lights (LM5 code) which they did without charge. If you are shopping for an EcoDiesel, give Marthaler Chrysler a chance in Worthington, MN. Their prices and service are second to none.

Last edited:

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome! Just as @Brokedownbutgood said it will limited your remote start from working.
I've always have been a Ford gas engine guy. I just couldn't deal with the 5.4 mileage anymore and the fact the truck was 9 years young. I'm a cherry to Ram and more of a cherry to diesels. Are there any books for dummy's that will help guide and educate me? or should I just adhere to the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. I'm a bit Leary hearing some of the horror stories about motors blowing. I do tow a 24' travel trailer 5k lbs maybe 65 miles 3 or 4 times a season, the rest of the time it's 65% daily commuter less than 10 miles each way. I'm up in N.E. Wisconsin and each time I fuel up I add 1oz of edt and plan to add diesel extreme every 6 months. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've always have been a Ford gas engine guy. I just couldn't deal with the 5.4 mileage anymore and the fact the truck was 9 years young. I'm a cherry to Ram and more of a cherry to diesels. Are there any books for dummy's that will help guide and educate me? or should I just adhere to the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. I'm a bit Leary hearing some of the horror stories about motors blowing. I do tow a 24' travel trailer 5k lbs maybe 65 miles 3 or 4 times a season, the rest of the time it's 65% daily commuter less than 10 miles each way. I'm up in N.E. Wisconsin and each time I fuel up I add 1oz of edt and plan to add diesel extreme every 6 months. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. That's the biggest thing to worry about when having a diesel. Also, reading the forums and seeing what works for others and also what doesn't work is the best advice I can give right now.