• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light

Beargap Joe

Aug 18, 2016
Truck Year
Hi, I purchased a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the ecodiesel in April 2016. I travel 60 miles one way to work, mostly highway. In July at just under 6,000 miles the ETC warning light came on along with the CEL and the vehicle went into limp mode. I took it in for service and they told me the DPF was full and they drove it hard to clear the filter. First question: why didn't the filter regeneration message come on? Second question: If I'm driving mostly open road with lots of hills why would my filter clog up?
The truck performs well now but the mpg's have dropped from 26 on my commute to 22. I now have just over 9,000 miles and my driving habits have not changed, any thoughts conclusions?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome!

Driving the distance you drive should take care of the Regen process no doubt. If you had some type of OBD 2 monitor you could actually see the DPF full percentage and see how the truck is acting.. But, I'd let the dealer figure it out since the fuel mileage has dropped. Should be a warranty fix and might need a new DPF.

Beargap Joe

Aug 18, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome!

Driving the distance you drive should take care of the Regen process no doubt. If you had some type of OBD 2 monitor you could actually see the DPF full percentage and see how the truck is acting.. But, I'd let the dealer figure it out since the fuel mileage has dropped. Should be a warranty fix and might need a new DPF.

Beargap Joe

Aug 18, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome!

I just heard from the dealer and they said I have bad injectors. Is this normal for a truck with just 10K miles? Do you think bad parts, set up or fuel?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just heard from the dealer and they said I have bad injectors. Is this normal for a truck with just 10K miles? Do you think bad parts, set up or fuel?

Usually the dealer will test the fuel to determine if it's bad and then blame the part failure on the fuel supplier. Sometimes it just happens though and parts fail.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Eco with 65500 miles on it. I purchased the truck this past May on mothers day - Certified. In July the service electronic throttle control light came on along with the check engine light. The dealer replaced the sensor at a cost to me of $220; two weeks later the light came on again and Chrysler got involved and replaced the entire turbo unit. This was good until two weeks ago when the light came on again and once again the truck was at the dealer for an extended visit. The dealer found a pin hole in one of the hoses related to the turbo that was replaced in August. Today, 11/28/2016, the darn light came on again. I can drive the truck but it has zero turbo. Does anyone have a clue or has anyone had a similar experience?

Mscolgan

Jan 2, 2017
Truck Year
There are quite a few posts related to electronic throttle warnings so it doesn't seem to be clear as to what causes this. My 2016 eco is basically brand new with less than 400 kms and in just a few days of driving it this warning has come up twice. The first time I was a few minutes from the dealer and droped it off without noticing much change in performance. Picked it up the next day and was told it just needed a computer update. Before getting home the engine light came on (just the engine light - no warning message). The truck was running fine but I took it back to the dealer and they said the throttle control valve would have to be replaced. This part is back ordered but I was told I could drive it even though the light would probably come back on. The next day the ETC warning message is back on and this time I can tell the turbo is not working (speed is not limited but power is down considerably). Similar problem mentioned by t John so I am curious to know if his truck is sorted out yet (and how).

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
There are quite a few posts related to electronic throttle warnings so it doesn't seem to be clear as to what causes this. My 2016 eco is basically brand new with less than 400 kms and in just a few days of driving it this warning has come up twice. The first time I was a few minutes from the dealer and droped it off without noticing much change in performance. Picked it up the next day and was told it just needed a computer update. Before getting home the engine light came on (just the engine light - no warning message). The truck was running fine but I took it back to the dealer and they said the throttle control valve would have to be replaced. This part is back ordered but I was told I could drive it even though the light would probably come back on. The next day the ETC warning message is back on and this time I can tell the turbo is not working (speed is not limited but power is down considerably). Similar problem mentioned by t John so I am curious to know if his truck is sorted out yet (and how).
Chrysler replaced the turboo in August. Since then the ETC came on twice and the second time they found a pin hole in the hose going to the turbo. That was November...So far so good.

Mscolgan

Jan 2, 2017
Truck Year
Good to know it's fixed. I am disappointed to have this kind of problem at 400 kms. Ruins the "new truck" experience.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good to know it's fixed. I am disappointed to have this kind of problem at 400 kms. Ruins the "new truck" experience.

Call 18002479753 and get an engineer from chrysler involved. Once that happened things really moved fast. They will open a case for you and track the trucks problems.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
Call 18002479753 and get an engineer from chrysler involved. Once that happened things really moved fast. They will open a case for you and track the trucks problems.

And, one more thing. When you bring it to the dealer make sure the have their best tech on it, I believe Chrysler call's them a class 3 tech. You DO NOT want a rookie working on this problem.

ki0eh

Dec 15, 2015
Truck Year
Mine's been at the dealer over 2 weeks waiting, they say, for an EGR valve and cooler. 4th time with this issue in 42,000 mi.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Mine's been at the dealer over 2 weeks waiting, they say, for an EGR valve and cooler. 4th time with this issue in 42,000 mi.
What did the find out. Mine is in for the same thing except my bumper to bumper warranty is up. $3100! If they replaced yours 4 times, I'm selling the truck. It's still in the shop.

Ribcage

Jun 18, 2018
Truck Year
T john &mscolgan mine does the same thing. Paid $400 for s fuel rail cleanout, $120 for a manual regen. It just threw the code again driving only a mile from my house. Gotta be 3 hours away for work 10 hours from now. I should just keave now bc its in limp mode and will take forever. Cant pull out on highways bc therex no power and i might get smashed. Its s lawsuit waiting to happen. Yhe dealer garage can never identify the problem yet still give it back with a hefty bill attached. What should we do about this? They say its maintenance and thd warranty doesn't cover it.

Mscolgan

Jan 2, 2017
Truck Year
T john &mscolgan mine does the same thing. Paid $400 for s fuel rail cleanout, $120 for a manual regen. It just threw the code again driving only a mile from my house. Gotta be 3 hours away for work 10 hours from now. I should just keave now bc its in limp mode and will take forever. Cant pull out on highways bc therex no power and i might get smashed. Its s lawsuit waiting to happen. Yhe dealer garage can never identify the problem yet still give it back with a hefty bill attached. What should we do about this? They say its maintenance and thd warranty doesn't cover it.
It was mentioned earlier in this thread but worth repeating - make sure the mechanic working on your truck knows what they are doing. The dealer didnt fix it so I might guess they had someone working on it who wasn't familiar with the ecodiesel. 40000kms later I haven't had any problems but I did switch to having it serviced at a dealer who has a better reputation with diesels.

Silberfuchs

Jul 21, 2018
Truck Year
On the phone as we chat*

Owned two grand Cherokee’s limited with ED, both flawless in operation and fun to drive, hence my purchase of Ram.

History: 2015 Dodge Ram 4x4 limited
19,780 miles complete engine failure, in shop 48 days. Complete engine replaced.

Electric Power steering replaced.

Exhaust entering cab, twice to repair.

No problems since current.

Exhaust filter 100% full, service required. Cannot clear code with odb2.

Service electronic throttle control, cannot clear code.

Will not let manual regen. No option at startup.

Limp mode limited to 3,000 rpm

Nearing warranty and have appointment on the 27th to diagnose.

Looking for answers.