• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 ecodiesel. Motor blew.

D. Bloomfield

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
Oil pressure dropped to 0 at idle yesterday. Mechanic put new oil sending unit on and during test drive motor blew. 43000 miles.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Oil pressure dropped to 0 at idle yesterday. Mechanic put new oil sending unit on and during test drive motor blew. 43000 miles.

I asked in your introduction post how many miles, which I see here.

Glad warranty is in place.. did they give you a estimated time on replacement, or details on what happen?

D. Bloomfield

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
I asked in your introduction post how many miles, which I see here.

Glad warranty is in place.. did they give you a estimated time on replacement, or details on what happen?

So far mechanic stated that he didn't know. He replaced the oil pressure sending unit, pressure showed good, and took for a test drive. Engine started knocking and by time he got off interstate it had blown.

D. Bloomfield

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
Here is a little more info.

In December I noticed idle a little lower, oil pressure about 18. Didn't think anything of it.
Middle of December I replaced the washer fluid sensor. Sensor got drowned when I pulled from bottle. I then pulled fuel filter and double checked to make sure I had installed proper. Reinstalled within a minute.
Upon starting truck motor went haywire. Knocked and rattled. Took to dealer on 21 dec., told me no computer codes whine running good. Engine light came on on way home. On 22 dec. Dealer reset code and told me engine running fine.code was for bad fuel.
Engine did smooth back out. No loss of power.
On 18 jan., on interstate I noticed loss of power. Got off interstate, stopped at red light. Oil pressure drop to zero. When gas pedal depressed pressure came up.
Took to dealer. Initial consult was bad oil pressure sensor. On 19 jan. After replacing sensor and gauge testing oil pressure the truck was test driven on interstate.
Within 4 miles engine started knocking. Within another mile something let loose and blew the side out of block.
The mechanic didn't have a phone or coat. Got truck running and tried to get back to dealership. Engine suffered complete seizure.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Wow that is beyond anything that I can find words for. A mechanic doesn't take a phone or coat with him on a test drive; experiences engine failure; and then essentially says F***It and proceeds to run your truck into the ground.

I absolutely cannot believe that happened. That's low even for dealership mechanic standards

Hemihotrodca

Apr 20, 2015
Truck Year
Mine blew, threw #6 rod All was good started knocking, lasted 15-20 seconds then all was quiet. they figure the PCM driver stuck the injector on and hydro locked. complete new engine, intake to oilpan, harness and pcm. all covered. I had 38,000 KM

Attachments

• 20150706_113832.jpg
    20150706_113832.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 23

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Bloomfield, really sounds like a fuel system failure. Im pretty sure if someone removed the fuel quality solenoid on the hpfp there would have been a ton of metal in there. From what bosch told me, any aluminum your hpfp is gone and replace it immediately. Any steel and its from something foreign, or lift pump. What a dork mechanic sounds like " i just need to clear the secondarys and shell be fine "

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Mine blew, threw #6 rod All was good started knocking, lasted 15-20 seconds then all was quiet. they figure the PCM driver stuck the injector on and hydro locked. complete new engine, intake to oilpan, harness and pcm. all covered. I had 38,000 KM

Ouch. Glad you had warranty!

D. Bloomfield

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
Just talked to mechanic. Brand new engine arrived and being installed.
Old engine blew number 1 and number 2 cylinders. Cause still unknown other than he said he found loose bolts on the piston rods. I asked about oil cooler being plugged and he said he checked and was good.

So far the service has been great since the motor blew. I was expecting an extended repair time but am glad that it looks like it will be done within 2 weeks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just talked to mechanic. Brand new engine arrived and being installed.
Old engine blew number 1 and number 2 cylinders. Cause still unknown other than he said he found loose bolts on the piston rods. I asked about oil cooler being plugged and he said he checked and was good.

So far the service has been great since the motor blew. I was expecting an extended repair time but am glad that it looks like it will be done within 2 weeks.

I guess that's some good news out of it. But, with the bolts being loose whos to say when it blew it didn't loosen them.

I'm sure they'll send the motor to FCA and they'll do their investigation on it. Hopefully the dealer will end up letting you know what they found out.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Unfortunately the way it works is once it's replaced and shipped off it's out of sight and therefore out of mind and he likely will never hear anything from the dealer.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
For sure, once FCA has it, it will be classified Confidential, trade secretes, etc. We need a Snowden informer within the ranks of FCA.

D. Bloomfield

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
Got my truck back today. Am a happy man. No further word on what may have caused all this.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As much as a root cause and analysis would be great; I'd be a happy camper just to have the truck back and driving just as you seem to be.

And surprisingly you had a great turn around time