• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 RAM Ecodiesel engine fire

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Well lost my truck this saturday, caught fire and burned, anyone know have any experience with similar trucks?

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Just wondering what my next step should be when dealing with Dodge, FCA, anyone have experience with filing a claim?

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Well AAA said they will not pursue Chrysler/Fiat, that is something I would have to do, does anyone know of a class action lawsuit against Chrysler/Fiat for these recall issues?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Not Yet...1964 keep all your documents and report the fire to FMCSA. Their are owners that this has happen twice. Insurance is another expense in owning the 3.0VM, My 2019 Limited 5.7 is $240.00 per year less then My 2015 loaded Laramie Ecodiesel.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
If you updated the AEM software update to comply with the EPA class action lawsuit. The Ram is certainly covered. Their is an active EGR coolant recall for replacing the EGR for leaks that may cause an engine fire. I was provided a loaner Ram while my new EGR was being installed. Dealers will play a role in how you are being treated.

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
My 2015 Ecodiesel caught fire three days after getting recall notice for possible engine compartment fires.

The night it caught fire I smelled something hot, pulled in parking lot and saw smoke, left engine running, lifted hood, looked for source of smoke, saw small flame on passenger side of engine, shut off engine, got out fire extinguisher, went to front of truck and found flame had gotten larger. Extinguished flame.

Cause of fire - my investigation - EGR tube got hot enough to spontaneously catch the foam covering on the passenger side of engine on fire.

Went with out truck for about 3 months waiting for new EGR cooler. After cooler was replaced the dealership determined engine needed replaced.

Insurance paid for new engine. I did the best I could to get FCA to pay for repairs since it was a recall issue. Got letter from FCA saying fires happen, turn it in to insurance.

As I write this, am at dealer having the new engine cover, foam pad and hood to cab weather strip installed. Engine was installed about three weeks ago had to waight for theses parts to be delivered to dealer and for me to find time to take truck to dealer.

Dealer has been great, no complaints worth mentioning.

After new engine was replaced I could smell diesel fuel in cab. Found small T fitting above injector on pasenget side of engine had fuel on it. Have wiped the fitting off several times. Dealer is looking at it.

Ironically the fitting with fuel on it sits under the foam pad being installed.

This is a shortened version of the story.

The one thing I found that FCA did that I believe is fraudulent - An investigator from Bosh looked at and took pictures of the damage. He did not investigate cause of fire. He only took pictures of external damage. In the letter I got back from FCA, it says that the Bosh investigation was used to determine that FCA was not responsible for fire, fires happen. Turn claim into insurance. Problem with this statement is Bosh investigator did not investigate cause, he only took pictures NO INVESTIGATION. Investigator was not allowed to take anything apart, only take pictures. No real investigation. At the very least he would have had to remove the EGR tube to determine if internal engine fire heat caused external engine fire ignition.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have been screaming for 5 YEARS to remove that foam.....and CP4 cover.
I hear YA on BOSCH investigation, its NOT a BOSCH problem its VM/Fiat design or lack of design and completely being complacent about ALL VM shorting comings. The fires will continue and just changing the EGR will only eliminate a small % of the fires.

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Well lost my truck this saturday, caught fire and burned, anyone know have any experience with similar trucks?
Update: truck was paid off and 6k to me for another truck, bought a 2019 1500 Bighorn crewcab Hemi, loving it.
Insurance called me said they're going after FCA for reimbursement, want all my service records and recall notices.
Irony: when i asked insurance if we could hold FCA accountable they responded with" you have to pursue that on your own"
Well if they want to go after FCA "well
Your on your own" i have no stock in this fight.

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
If you updated the AEM software update to comply with the EPA class action lawsuit. The Ram is certainly covered. Their is an active EGR coolant recall for replacing the EGR for leaks that may cause an engine fire. I was provided a loaner Ram while my new EGR was being installed. Dealers will play a role in how you are being treated.
They ordered the part for the EGR cooler and told me they will call me when part comes in & told me truck was fine to drive, well apparently not it caught fire the day after i picked it up from the dealership for another recall/repair.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dman , This forum has sections for gas, Just keep your membership and report in that forum, The mileage is surprisingly good? for 5.7.

Dman1964

Nov 26, 2016
Truck Year
Dman , This forum has sections for gas, Just keep your membership and report in that forum, The mileage is surprisingly good? for 5.7.
The 2015 Ram was an Ecodiesel model. Thats the truck i was talking about. But thanks for the direction.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep ,but what about the 2019 MPG? Good/Bad/ or ugly.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
all of the oily soot in the intake catches fire from the heat of the egr then the foam catches fire then the truck burns