• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Big Horn with 25000+ miles and I never had to visit the dealer so far

scapas

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
This is my first diesel and I love it.
I am thinking about getting a new ECM with Hot Tune from GDE, and keep the original one just in case I really need to visit the "stealer" (usually, I do all my maintenance and repairs my self, and I will only go to the dealer if they need to pay for it).
For now, I only pull (occasionally) a 3000 lb boat trailer and it will probably be another 7-8 years before I buy a camper and really do some serious traveling and pulling with this truck.
From the options GDE offers, I am thinking to skip the Engine Breaking for now (I will probably add it when I get a camper), the High Idle - since I live in FL, and the Off-road Tuning.
Anybody care to share what you think about my plan?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks,

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome. I'm not tuned so I can't help you there.. but others here are and will chime in I'm sure. Moving this to the performance section to discuss the tuning.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What year truck?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Don't do anything until you close out the settlement $$$

scapas

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
I keep my original ECM intact, and I am buying a tuned one from GDE.
That way, before I need to go to the dealer to have the ECM flushed with their new soft, I can put back the original one.
Do you see any issue with my plan?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Two risky....FCA may install detection software which will make your GDE ECM worthless.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
May*

I personally wouldn't let it stop me from buying tuning.

Boostn, FCA in 2018 have step up Security with the SGM (Secure gateway Module) the day of ON HWY tuning is coming to its end...

On tuning ,One individual was served cease and desisted orders, It read something like this. If you sell a tune in a bucket for on road use you will be serving Jail time.

The EPA wheel is spinning and when it stops at X company they are shut down permanently.

When the EPA gets to the Company they will order the company to reverse the defeat tuning or pay Millions in Fines.

“Manufacturers and sellers of automotive emissions control defeat devices should stand up and take notice of this settlement. EPA will protect air quality by vigorously enforcing the Clean Air Act’s prohibition on these devices.”

I'm not the tuning Police ,But until you are settle up with FCA on the Fix its just to risky.

IMO, GDE maybe the last to be sent cease and desist orders ,but the EPA will enforce the Law and its only time before every supplier of such products are target and closed.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Not to get off topic on the EPA and tuners, but yes... they have went after MANY and in return those guys stopped selling. I'm giving my personal opinion. Until those companies stop selling tuning, people is going to buy them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I see Your point, But reality needs to take precedents in this matter.

When you tune your future is decided, No more Updates from the makers to fix problems related to software...

I hate the EGR system on the 3.0 its clearly problematic, I support its remove or defeat, ,but I must keep an open view to the future on changes that will develop for fixes software related. The settlement takes the warranty to new levels tuning is risky. Just run your warranty to its end get know problems covered under warranty ,than tune if available AFTER warranty has expired.

scapas

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you guys, I appreciate the input. I guess I will put this project on hold.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
tuneing fixes 99percent of all problems I deleted 2 2500 rams at 500 miles and have never been to the dealer since a few of my non deleted friends spent lots of time at the dealers trying to get sensor problems fixed and when ppei comes out with tunes that I can load through obd2 my eco will b tuned with 500 miles on it

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Comparing Cummins to VM is like Whale VS Minnow.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
a code is a code a diesel is a diesel get rid of all the emission junk and tune it all the codes that are problems are smog related get rid of the smog crap and problem solved if u have no emission inspection !!!!!

Last edited: