• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Laramie Help

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Hello, I have purchased what seems to be my dream truck but I can't trouble shoot this thing. I did a stage 2 full tune and delete. About 1000 miles later I was on the free way and hear a small pop saw some white and black smoke behind me and then the service electronic throttle control. I pulled over immediately and it said turn truck to park and shut off. I turned to park and shut it off. Saw while turning off the low oil pressure light came on(seems to be pretty standard to come on if anything goes wrong with these). Truck would not start again but would crank and pushed white smoke out of the exhaust pipes that smelled of diesel. Had the truck towed home. No luck getting it to start. Ordered a code reader, and popped P0087 low fuel pressure and P016F Low fuel pressure see owners manual. I wrote them and deleted the codes hoping it would then just restart. No luck did not start. I then changed the fuel filter and primed the system about 6 or 7 times. Now I believe my battery is low because its having trouble cranking at all. I disconnected the battery and tried again. It pops all kinds of service monitor lights about brakes, trailers, abs, and other stuff now and if I have enough juice going into the battery it will crank. I waited a while for it charge up some more and see if maybe it wasn't cranking hard enough and now sometimes when it cranks not every time it sounds like something inside is wrong. I feel like the hpfp might have went out and I dont have enough fuel pressure injecting into the chamber or the reluctor wheel. the hpfp i could be hearing fuel system parts sometimes when it cranks. the reluctor wheel could have snapped the sensor and one of them is pushing on the fly wheel or something when it cranks. I can't find a sure way to diagnose though

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I would suggest taking it to a diesel mechanic or trying to figure out If in fact you are losing fuel pressure first. If fuel pressure is ok, I would check compression

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
just called two diesel shops, one referred me to the mfg and both can't price anything without a full vin number. Those are mechanics or techs those are people swapping parts reading a spreadsheet

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Found a diesel shop who said theyre familiar with P0087 on non eco diesels, told them it was deleted which they didn't bat an eye at that said they can start running diagnostics on it for $85 an hour and atleast get it narrowed down to if its a reluctor wheel or something else or if its in the fuel system for sure.

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I've started reading regular diesel forums for my check engine light and no start. Its being limited down to most likely i had one injector fail, that signaled the codes and told me to turn it off and without building enough pressure in the fuel rail because of the leak it wouldn't start. Main sign was the smoke blowing out the exhaust and the fact it won't start. Trying to find out on these trucks how to diagnose individual injectors

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Had a friend come over with the snap on scan tool. Reading at max 583PSI in the fuel rail and the tool while cranking was saying needed 7000 approximately to start. Going to order the tool to block off injectors that could be bleeding off pressure one by one. Hopefully its one of those if not the last step is to see if my HPFP/CP4 detonated and my whole fuel system is trash

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
He advised me the weird sound I was hearing intermittently when cranking was just my battery getting too weak to properly turn the diesel motor.

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Its in a diesel specialized shop, they said it doesn't seem like the cp4 but theyre still diagnosing. They are going to do a compression test.

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
They ran a compression test today. Low Compression on cylinder #5 from working on cummins they believe the injector washed the cylinder and i need a new engine and all new injectors.

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I traded it in with a blown motor and took the hit for a hemi