• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel turbo replacement

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I received the same "Service Electronic Throttle" error 3 times in 2018 on my 2015ED. The truck has 58k miles. The first 2 instances resulted in a "simple" code reset that left me at the dealership for 6 hours the first time and 4 hours the second time. The technicians told me this is a "known issue" and requires a software update that RAM hasn't released yet.

On the 3rd limp to the dealership, I calmly and respectfully complained about the whole situation. They had a driver take my wife and I to the mall for lunch and shopping while they troubleshooted the problem. 3 hours later they called to tell me they could not conclusively pinpoint the problem. However, they noticed that "some of the fuel rail pressures were low/inconsistent". As a result, they replaced all of my injectors and required gaskets, etc... The technician felt like he did me a solid and at least made the trip worth my time as this would have been a several thousand dollar service call if not under warranty.

I am not confident that this is the last of my problems. I also noticed my mpg seems to have gone down by 2-3 mpg on average after the service.

I am going to begin using a fuel additive to help avoid some of these problems. I've heard very good things about Hot Shot brand products, and have a quart jug of Hot Shot Diesel Extreme arriving at my house today. I am going to mix it a little hot on the first dose, and then mix per schedule in 6 months when it is due again.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I received the same "Service Electronic Throttle" error 3 times in 2018 on my 2015ED. The truck has 58k miles. The first 2 instances resulted in a "simple" code reset that left me at the dealership for 6 hours the first time and 4 hours the second time. The technicians told me this is a "known issue" and requires a software update that RAM hasn't released yet.

On the 3rd limp to the dealership, I calmly and respectfully complained about the whole situation. They had a driver take my wife and I to the mall for lunch and shopping while they troubleshooted the problem. 3 hours later they called to tell me they could not conclusively pinpoint the problem. However, they noticed that "some of the fuel rail pressures were low/inconsistent". As a result, they replaced all of my injectors and required gaskets, etc... The technician felt like he did me a solid and at least made the trip worth my time as this would have been a several thousand dollar service call if not under warranty.

I am not confident that this is the last of my problems. I also noticed my mpg seems to have gone down by 2-3 mpg on average after the service.

I am going to begin using a fuel additive to help avoid some of these problems. I've heard very good things about Hot Shot brand products, and have a quart jug of Hot Shot Diesel Extreme arriving at my house today. I am going to mix it a little hot on the first dose, and then mix per schedule in 6 months when it is due again.
Is this a GDE tuned truck or stock?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Most fuel additives are snake oil when it comes to soot problems....

"Service Electronic Throttle" I have always been able to remove the message. At times the vehicle was so sooted up it required parts replacement, Plenum, Turbo, intake, EGR... Fortunately in This area we have a very Knowledgeable Dealer that has been helpful in getting the parts covered under warranty.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year

"Service Electronic Throttle" I have always been able to remove the message. At times the vehicle was so sooted up it required parts replacement, Plenum, Turbo, intake, EGR... Fortunately in This area we have a very Knowledgeable Dealer that has been helpful in getting the parts covered under warranty.
makes you wonder why they don't disclose it as a scheduled maintenance item. I bet those swirl valves are totally coked and frozen at 20k miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They can be, mine were at 40K miles with 3 times foamed clean.

As long as I keep Stationary desooting the 3.0 2-3 times yearly replace the Plenum, EGR 40-50K miles ,I will be trouble free for years. with great fuel mileage.

Who wants to Spend $3.000.00 in emission repairs every 40/50K Miles? I hope the scuttle butt is true on new Power plant Sept 2019... I'm holding out until than. If they Keep the 3.0VM in the ED without completely being redesigned, it will continue to be problematic for some.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
They can be, mine were at 40K miles with 3 times foamed clean.

As long as I keep Stationary desooting the 3.0 2-3 times yearly replace the Plenum, EGR 40-50K miles ,I will be trouble free for years. with great fuel mileage.

Who wants to Spend $3.000.00 in emission repairs every 40/50K Miles? I hope the scuttle butt is true on new Power plant Sept 2019... I'm holding out until than. If they Keep the 3.0VM in the ED without completely being redesigned, it will continue to be problematic for some.
I run the GDE tune but i dont live in an emissions state. So far it has been perfect but the cam gear and main bearing issues have me spooked. I also hear great things about the 2019.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Cam gear failure is rare.....and if you remove the pump cover and all that death foam , it may give sound of warning, the life of that pump is in how cool you can keep it...That worthless cover and foam for sound deadening is deadening all right, it will deaden it to silent, both engine and pump.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year

Totally agree on additives, and I only chose this brand after watching a pretty thoughtful youtuber talk about his personal experience with over the road trailering with his EDs. He mentioned several products that make huge claims and shot them down. He also discussed his experience with Hot Shot and said he actually saw significant improvements. He said he isn't a sponsor or being paid, and also made sure to review a Lucas Oil product that he thought would be great. Apparently he is a big Lucas guy, but still said it was garbage. The guy seems pretty techy, and the link is below if you want to watch and review his logic.

If this stuff works, it is cheap insurance against soot build up. We'll see I guess!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
The Cam gear failure is rare.....and if you remove the pump cover and all that death foam , it may give sound of warning, the life of that pump is in how cool you can keep it...That worthless cover and foam for sound deadening is deadening all right, it will deaden it to silent, both engine and pump.
my understanding is that the foam is meant to keep the EGR tube hot so the goop does not form on the tube end.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
my understanding is that the foam is meant to keep the EGR tube hot so the goop does not form on the tube end.

That's more 1500diesel.com lies.... or sound deadening fanatic ...In long term ownership its slow death foam.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Can you say more about what cover and foam to remove?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
All of it...Both sides and the pump cover. 1951

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I can't recommend the GDE tune strongly enough. Best money I have spent. My intake is as clean as can be and I get great fuel mileage. Average is 26 to 27.
Can you please provide a link to the GDE tune?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
jcj, In MN we have mandatory Bio-diesel Great fuel, I have talk to the chemist dept and Flint hills Refinery (maker most of MN Diesel)

They claim if you mess with the additive package by adding additives it may cause the blend to affect the combination (Separating the bio form the Clear #2) I have verified their comment by MN Pumps and Injectors have less wear/cleaner than other parts of NA.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
jcj, In MN we have mandatory Bio-diesel Great fuel, I have talk to the chemist dept and Flint hills Refinery (maker most of MN Diesel)

They claim if you mess with the additive package by adding additives it may cause the blend to affect the combination (Separating the bio form the Clear #2) I have verified their comment by MN Pumps and Injectors have less wear/cleaner than other parts of NA.
Thank you for the head's up. I live in Iowa, and I believe most Casey's stores have biodiesel blend as well. That is typically where I get fuel due to Fuelsaver program. In summary, you are saying if you are using a biodiesel blend to NOT use additives then?

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes.... the blend balance is touchy. If you want facts call the refinery in your territory , MN IA is Flint Hills