• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 ram 1500 ed

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Congratulations. It's does take time to get the feel of everything but enjoy it

Mauiarcher

Dec 21, 2015
Truck Year
Just picked up from the harbor today. I spent most of the day getting ins., reg., plates, etc. I will post some pics when I have a chance.

It is a pretty basic tradesman but I love it so far. Tool for a short spin after work tonight....30+mpg. Can't wait to see some further data. Plenty of giddy up for me. Only thing that sucks is price of diesel here. $1+ more than gas. :(

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
That does suck. I've been spoiled by the price of diesel in SC. Just filled up for $1.75/gal, 2 cents cheaper than gasoline. I know it can't last, but I am not complaining in the meantime.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I get hit at the pump either way but the diesel doesn't hurt quite so bad. Gas is 1.79, premium for the BMW is 2.39 and is lucky to see 20MPG highway so it stays in town sucking up premium. And winter blend diesel is 2.24/2.29 now. But it's barely moved since I got the truck in may at 2.59. Gas has been all over the place. From the current 1.79 to mid 3's

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Just happy the fuel cost is so low, even if not as low as gasoline. We bought for the characteristics of a diesel.

Paid $2.04 for diesel a couple days ago. Far cry from the $4 or so not too long ago.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Exactly; we all bought diesel's for the fuel mileage and characteristics of a diesel engine. And lubricity of the fuel. Low engine temps and longevity. (Sorry I just had a huge rant about this all)

And nobody should be crying about a little higher fuel costs

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
where I am in northern Ontario its 1.03 per liter for reg gas and .98 for diesel so roughly 4.50 gal gas and 3.90 gal diesel and all our diesel here is winter diesel year round. we even have some guys here that buy the contaminated jet fuel from the airport and run that in their diesels, just make sure to add oil cause it burns a little hotter and dryer. you can get it for 50$ for a 50 gal drum and after filtering you can get about 40gal of useable jet fuel and mixing is usually a quart of 10w30 per drum. I wouldn't try it in the newer diesels but the guys with the non dpf trucks seem to do fine and I used to run it in an old dump unit with no trouble.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
where I am in northern Ontario its 1.03 per liter for reg gas and .98 for diesel so roughly 4.50 gal gas and 3.90 gal diesel and all our diesel here is winter diesel year round. we even have some guys here that buy the contaminated jet fuel from the airport and run that in their diesels, just make sure to add oil cause it burns a little hotter and dryer. you can get it for 50$ for a 50 gal drum and after filtering you can get about 40gal of useable jet fuel and mixing is usually a quart of 10w30 per drum. I wouldn't try it in the newer diesels but the guys with the non dpf trucks seem to do fine and I used to run it in an old dump unit with no trouble.

I don't know much about fuel, but that would scare me in a nice new truck!

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
Ya, I don't think the new trucks being so computer precise would handle it. Mind you when I worked as an aircraft re-fueller whenever we got a bad load of jet fuel in they would usually send the truck to dump its load at a local truck stop where they would try to mix it 50/50 with diesel. jet fuel is just a highly refined kerosene.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
And kerosene isn't very far from #1 diesel

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I will tell you no late model diesels like jet A we used to run it in tractors and everything else but with hpcr systems it wipes out in pumps

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Fuel in Calgary, this winter has been holding very close to 70 cents to 80 cent a litre. My last fill up was with Shell V-power (it 8 cent more than regular diesel). I got it for 80 cent a litre. Gas was running 5 cents a litre cheaper on average, but as spring comes, diesel ends up cheaper than gas. Switches roles between seasons, but because of mild winter here, that switch hasn't happen as much.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Can't find V-Power diesel in SC. Just the regular stuff that is pumped at every station.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Check my other post, on best fuel and additives.... you may find these options available. You will find video post about it too.
Best Diesel Fuel? And Additive??

I dug a bit further and found, shell in US has something similar, but different name. Located in some area, such as:

Shell Diesel FiT is currently being offered at approximately 95 locations in the Seattle, Washington market. Plans for expanding this offering will be assessed at the conclusion of our market test

http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-diesel-fit.html

With continuous use, the exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula provides the following benefits:

• Carbon Deposit Build-Up: Fuel injectors deposits can reduce combustion efficiency, which can increase fuel consumption. The exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula protects against deposit build-up to help maintain proper injector fuel flow and spray pattern and provide designed power and performance.
  • Anti-Corrosion: Use of diesel meeting minimum government quality standards can result in corrosion of vital engine parts such as the fuel pump. Shell Diesel FiT contains enhanced corrosion inhibitors to help prevent fuel system corrosion to protect your investment.
  • Anti-Wear: Shell Diesel FiT is formulated to help provide additional anti-wear protection for your diesel engine exceeding minimum government quality standards to help protect your investment.
  • Anti-Gelling: In severe winter conditions, diesel meeting minimum government standards can “gel” resulting in the inability to start the vehicle or reduce diesel engine performance. During winter, in select cold weather markets, Shell Diesel FiT contains anti-gelling agents for enhanced cold weather performance. Look for the "Special winterized anti-gel formula" label on the dispenser.
  • Water Management: Shell Diesel FiT is specially formulated to separate water from fuel and assist in water removal from fuel storage tanks to help provide consumers with dry fuel.
  • Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Economy & CO2 Savings: Based on extensive tests, Shell Diesel FiT achieved a 1.3% mpg saving for heavy-duty trucks in long-haul service and an impressive 4.8% mpg saving for heavy duty trucks in more severe stop and go city conditions, compared to regular diesel meeting only minimum government standards.

Shell has several video, it a must see, it explains a lot.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I was looking at a video

Fifth Gear - series 15 episode 4, premium diesel test

They did a test on cheap diesel and shell/bp fuel. It did increase power very fast, however, from my experience, it improves over time. I started to notice the big difference after about 2000km. The more miles you have on the truck using cheap diesel, it will take time to clean out, I suspect.

However, it not just the fuel economy and bit more power, smoother acceleration, etc, I'm hoping on longevity of the engine and less maintenance.

I haven't checked out BP fuel, don't think we have it here in Canada, unless under another name.

http://www.bp.com/en_au/australia/products-services/fuels/bp-ultimate-fuels/bp-ultimate-diesel.html

Last edited: