• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 RAM BLOWN MOTOR 70,000 MILES ENGINE REPLACEMENT

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
After going back and forth with the dealer. FCA denied my 3rd engine replacement and said its on me. Following up with a lawsuit now. The last engine only had about 30k miles. Here's a link I recorded on my 2nd and 3rd blown engine. FCA said "it's my fault " . Some people even commented it was fake. Ha!!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
805, when was the last engine replaced? So you need a 4th?

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
After going back and forth with the dealer. FCA denied my 3rd engine replacement and said its on me. Following up with a lawsuit now. The last engine only had about 30k miles. Here's a link I recorded on my 2nd and 3rd blown engine. FCA said "it's my fault " . Some people even commented it was fake. Ha!!

Last one went out in Feb. of this year.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
805 , is this DD use only?

I spoke to owner yesterday with 324K miles on all OEM, he drive 200-500 miles daily. They have recently spent $6000.00 in repairs.

Your situation confirms my hero zero status.

What I don't understand is how someone believes you can drive 300K+ miles without spending some $$$$ on repairs.

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
This was my daily commuter. 30 miles each way to work with 2 stop lights and 1 stop sign. The rest at 65-75 MPH. Nothing out of the ordinary driving. I towed with it about 5 times a small trailer with trash.

805JARHEAD

Apr 2, 2020
Truck Year
BTW TC Diesel,
If FCA would of replaced the engine. It would of been its 4th engine in my truck.

Fireline

Jul 13, 2021
Truck Year
I am currently going through this issue with my 2016 Laramie 4x4. I was on my way to a training in April when I heard a tapping sound. before I could find a place to pull over the motor cutout but I was able to coast to a turnout and get out of the highway. the worst thing was I was in the middle of nowhere and no cell service. so a 6 mile walk was next. luckily someone picked me up to drive me the last half of the walk. anyhow I had the truck towed home to the local dealer. they looked at the fluids and said I had some metal in the oil but would need to do further investigation into what happened. a couple of days later they contacted me and had found that the motor was going to need to be replaced. they contacted FCA and were told that they needed scans to be done. I have been fighting with them during this whole event to get it fixed. just got the approval to replace the motor 3 weeks ago and then they were having an issue with ordering the new motor. well I was called yesterday to let me know the motor was in and the truck was in the shop and they were starting the work and anticipate the truck being done by Thursday or Friday. also during this whole thing FCA would not pay for a rental vehicle. they could get me a lower rate on a rental but I would have to pay for it and they would reimburse me after the truck was fixed, which I think is wrong. it had 47600 miles on it when this occurred and 5 months left on my 60 month warranty. needless to say i loved my truck but will be trading it in to go to a GMC AT4 2500 HD. the customer service with FCA is terrible. funny thing is i was looking at going to a Ram 2500 within the next year for the pulling and payload. this whole experience has pushed me away from Ram and i used to be a Line technician at a dodge dealership and used to say who good they were. it's unfortunate but i wont buy another FCA product as much as i might love some of them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Fireline, GM will fair no better, The LP5 motor with Denso Fuel system for repairs cost more and Wait times considerably longer.

V8 DSL in long term ownership costs are much higher then current Cummins 6.7. If you can wait Truck cost are shocking high as of NOW.

Rumor has it the 6.7 Cummins will have the non-external EGR, NO VGT, in Ram Trucks in the Future, this is what I'm holding out for.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Injectors....fail at the same Rate as any other HPCR system, the difference is removal time for 1 Injector is the same as all 4 on that side. The HP4 is just as fragile as any HPCR pump when poor fuel is used, the only exception to this is CP3/CP6.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sorry, I'm part of all Duramax forums/groups/social anything and I've never once had a red flag raised on L5P Injectors. It's a solid motor.. The CP4 as found in the LML is somewhat of an issue, but even then it's nothing to be alarmed about unless your higher mileage.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
LMBO, Forums are the worst place to gage a motor Status .

The VM 3.0 is the poster child for the how forum ratings are misleading.

The electronic media uses feeling to control their thought patterns.

Should I do some paste & copy... Hmmm I'm on My second engine love the Truck ,Hmmm the Turbo and Intake have been problematic, Yet I still love My truck, My truck is great it has 50K miles trouble free miles. The Bar is so low on social media because of the emotional reasonings, its why the 3.0 V.M is still in production, Etc.

The CP4 failures are almost always relate to poor fuel.

Boostn, Hope is Not a plan of action, and generally ignores the Truth/facts and extremely hard to clean up at the end or impossible.

I'm supposed to pick up my 2014 Ecodiesel with a newly installed new MOPAR Crate engine today. Engine blew June 28th with 125,000-miles and 4,000-miles after AEM. I bought the truck used in 2017 with 73,000-miles on it, and I'm sure it had the 5w-30 oil for the first 3-years until they updated the oil-spec. Up until 2021, I had the GDE non-EPA compliant tune, and switched to the EPA-compliant tune after the AEM. I am really hoping to get into the 300,000-mile range on this new crate engine. Fortunately with GDE, I just have to pay a $50 fee to get the tune updated for the new engine. Driving one of these trucks without a tune is a no-go in my book...

Fireline

Jul 13, 2021
Truck Year
Fireline, GM will fair no better, The LP5 motor with Denso Fuel system for repairs cost more and Wait times considerably longer.

V8 DSL in long term ownership costs are much higher then current Cummins 6.7. If you can wait Truck cost are shocking high as of NOW.

Rumor has it the 6.7 Cummins will have the non-external EGR, NO VGT, in Ram Trucks in the Future, this is what I'm holding out for.
It’s not so much the product it the customer service from FCA that is pushing me away, shouldn’t take 3 months for a known issue.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Fireline....That's not acceptable to Me, A large part of WHY your having such a go of it with FCA is because of the its OK generation. These failures are acceptable because of low level of acceptance.

The product is the root cause Fireline, its failure rates are pushing Stellantis to tighten warranty repairs.

I don't lower My levels or move My goal posts, because the movements other do, YOU meet My level or your gone. That's WHY I NO longer own VM Motori on road products.

Heck, I have sources all over N/A yet the Keystroke fanatics question My info base on their keystrokes is laughable.

If you buy 2017 or later VM 3.0 you get 0 sympathy from Me, its short comings are well known, Yet its the same, I never new of the problems surrounding the VM 3.0... I get calls weekly on the VM 3.0, I state the facts, and leave it up to them to decide, Most don't buy ,some do, the one's that do and have problems call and I do what I can to help out...I will continue to discourage owning VM 3.0 on road products.

The 100s that have call over the years not 1 has said "glad I did not listen to You Todd its the best vehicle I've ever owned" Long term ownership of the VM 3.0 in DD use will suck up your wallet and/or leave you stranded.

That being said it seems to do OK in Hwy use.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
LMBO, Forums are the worst place to gage a motor Status .

I'm not just talking about forums. I mean all of social media.

I well into diesel scene with friends, races and even truck pulls. TO THIS DAY, I've not heard of 1 L5P injector issue.. much less something you want to bring up as a "Issue".

That's my biggest complaint with your statement, and it's simply not true.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK......... I see why You have no problems, its Your observations and connections.

Social LMBO , its the same media that praises the VM 3.0....Its already cost (Estimated) Fiat 4.5 $Billion in losses, yet , many on social Media claim its a good power plant. These are the (Only) Sources Boostn you use to gage the the status of things.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here, I will use your methods.

The 3 Most Common Duramax L5P Engine Problems

1. MAP Sensor Failure
  2. Allison 1000 Transmission
  3. Fuel Injector Failure (#4 Injector)
While not the most common problem, the #4 fuel injector specifically is known to be problematic.

My votes for the best Duramax. 1 LBZ 2 LP5

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good thing Boostn you own this site or we would get Banned....... Heeeeheeee

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
PBP does a good job at explaining the LP5

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
I know the simple answer is to do an aftermarket tune. The problem is that I am an attorney and read the fine print of all contracts. In the fine print of your purchase agreement which you sign, is a provision which you agreed to that says if you alter the vehicle's emission system, the warranty is "voidable". Voidable means FCA does not need to honor the warranty if you do anything to alter the emission system. This would include adding a tuner to make the truck run different than when it left the factory with the factory installed emission system.

I talked to FCA legal affairs department and they did confirm that it's FCA position that the tuner makes the warranty voidable.

So there's the dilemma, you have a $50,000 truck that you need to tune to make it run correctly, but once you do, you probably voided your warranty. In my case, if the engine failure was crankshaft related and I had tuned the motor, the tuner would not likely have prevented the crankshaft failure, but I can pretty much assure FCA would have not paid for the motor replacement and I would have had to sue them. In my case, I avoided a lot of headaches by not tuning the motor as far as FCA not raising any issues and paying for the motor replacement under the existing warranty. The tradeoff, a truck that runs terrible and is choked up by soot.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm going to file for arbitration and see if I can get FCA to do a buyback. If that doesn't;t resolve the issue, I may have too file a lawsuit. Even with a new motor, I have no faith in the 3.0 eco diesel. My original motor was great for the first 45,000 miles, but then everything went south and it was one issue after another.
I just came across your post. What was the outcome or has there been one yet of your dealing with FCA? I have a '14 Grand Cherokee eco-diesel that my motor blew this past Christmas Eve - Merry Xmas! I had higher mileage, 133K miles, and the main bearing and piston rod bearings went on it. I had the extended warranty due to the 2019 emissions update, but FCA would not cover. Asked if they would defray the cost on a new motor and of course they wouldn't. Owned a number of GC's and RAM 3500's, but I'm done now.