• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ram ecodiesel glow plugs

rigorenee

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Hi everyone, my name is Rigo from NorCal. My 2016 ram ecodiesel is at 105k
And the shop says I should change the glow plugs, I didn’t even bother getting an estimate. I told my self that I would by them and replace them myself but when I removed the plastic cover, I was shocked, I couldn’t even find where they were at??? Basically I’m hoping someone out there has replaced them, just looking for a difficulty rating for the job and maybe some hints. Also if you guys think it’s better to just take it to the shop and not deal with it. Also truck is running really good no issues, I just thought that this might be part of the PM. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If you have some patience it is deff a manageable job, there hard to spot at first but once you see one, the rest are easy to locate. Did they say you should, or that you need to?

rigorenee

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
If you have some patience it is deff a manageable job, there hard to spot at first but once you see one, the rest are easy to locate. Did they say you should, or that you need to?
The shop said that the glow plugs should be replaced along with other stuff(oil,serpentine,differential,hoses) in all honesty I didn’t think it was a big deal, till I looked under the hood. I’ll take another look at it this afternoon, to see if I can spot them.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Sounds like they’re trying to root into your pockets lol a glow plug will let you know when it’s time to replace it. As far as belts and hoses go, IMO they should be replaced on an ass needed basis. A visual inspection will tell you if dry rot is there or cracks and what not. Glow plugs on these trucks can be a cake walk, or a nightmare. I’d locate all of them and spray with some penetrating lube now if you plan to pull them yourself.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
You may need to work them back and forth with penetrating oil to work them loose, I like PB-BLASTER for a penetrant, KROIL is also good, and diesel fuel may work too. Make sure you use a good antisieze on the new plugs.
I also agree with Tremper126, if you have a bad glow plug you'll know it from the MIL indicator, it should set a check engine light. Spraying them and a couple of drive cycles may help get the penetrant into the threads. It sounds to me like the shop is trying to sell you unneeded services, belts& hoses yeah, glow plugs when they go bad, it aint like a tune up!

rigorenee

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
You may need to work them back and forth with penetrating oil to work them loose, I like PB-BLASTER for a penetrant, KROIL is also good, and diesel fuel may work too. Make sure you use a good antisieze on the new plugs.
I also agree with Tremper126, if you have a bad glow plug you'll know it from the MIL indicator, it should set a check engine light. Spraying them and a couple of drive cycles may help get the penetrant into the threads. It sounds to me like the shop is trying to sell you unneeded services, belts& hoses yeah, glow plugs when they go bad, it aint like a tune up!
Thank you so much for help, that was really good info.