• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ram

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
HD Diesel in Canada would be my recommendation. I don't have experience with SFT.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I
HD Diesel in Canada would be my recommendation. I don't have experience with SFT.
I do have considerable experience with SFT.
SFT has great tunes, is customer satisfaction oriented and the lowest prices (goes on sale often) and is in the great USA.

I have used the GDE tune (same as HD Diesel's ??) and find the SFT tune to be as good if not better at mpg, towing and low-end torque. The negative, to some, is their regen cycle is more frequent than GDE's. However, I've read that GDE's longer intervals come at the cost of higher temps, maybe too high. The SFT transmission tune is likewise excellent. SFT has a lot of very satisfied customers.

I'm not badmouthing HD Diesel's or GDE's tunes as they are great tunes. I'm just offering my experiences and knowledge with SFT.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
The high regen cycle is a killer in my opinion. Every 200 miles?!? That's absurd. I wouldn't go with a current GDE tune or SFT. The original GDE tune stretched out the intervals and was great. HD Diesel does this as well.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The high regen cycle is a killer in my opinion. Every 200 miles?!? That's absurd. I wouldn't go with a current GDE tune or SFT. The original GDE tune stretched out the intervals and was great. HD Diesel does this as well.
Not sure where you got 200 miles. I track my regens. With SFT tunes locally I'm getting about the same or slightly better intervals as a stock tune. My GDE tune was about the same for local driving. On highway traveling it's a different story, 100% Freeway & hiway I get between 767 mi & 1003 mi which is about the same as I did with the GDE tune. Caution - This data is pre-AEM SFT tunes. I have no data since my recent AEM flash and SFT's corresponding tune.

I don't believe frequent regens are a "killer" as they are merely cleaning the DPF when necessary, which is good. They are however a real pain, they are happening because of local driving and the regen fires off when you are local driving - very inconvenient. The real question is why are they frequent? That's a whole 'nother topic for which there are many answers and as many disagreements.

I do know that my manifold easily passed the soot test when the AEM was flashed. IMO that is because I have been tuned since early on. First with GDE and then with SFT since the CARB denied GDE in Califunny.

I'm no expert, not saying I'm right and I'm not soliciting, just passing on my experiences and what I've read.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'm saying the 70-200 mile range between regeneration is for the current GDE tune available in the US. That's about the same as factory programming. I frequently ran 700 miles between cycles on the old GDE tune and loved it. I thought maybe you were saying SFT was less than today's legal tune. That would be too frequent!

But a quick perusal of the classified section by the OP might just reveal a PRE-EPA GDE tune for sale, possibly even located nearby.

TMayor

Jul 25, 2020
Truck Year
How many miles does an average Eco Last? If I do delete and modify the exhaust the truck has no resale value as I see it.
Am I thinking about this correctly?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
No way you'll get an accurate number to that longevity question.

You're right, the unmolested used diesel has a higher resale value for sure. I justified the delete for myself as preventative maintenance for the second 100k miles, if not more. But if you plan to only have the truck a short time, an emission intact tune would be your best bet.

TMayor

Jul 25, 2020
Truck Year
No way you'll get an accurate number to that longevity question.

You're right, the unmolested used diesel has a higher resale value for sure. I justified the delete for myself as preventative maintenance for the second 100k miles, if not more. But if you plan to only have the truck a short time, an emission intact tune would be your best bet.
You still have your Eco. If so what all have you done to it. Mine is showing the PO299 Low turbo boost long wit Po402 EGR Flow Excessive.
I like the truck But I need a dependable truck. Would an Emission tune help to make these code go away? On a separate note, I thought I saw somewhere you are in Ohio.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I

I do have considerable experience with SFT.
SFT has great tunes, is customer satisfaction oriented and the lowest prices (goes on sale often) and is in the great USA.

I have used the GDE tune (same as HD Diesel's ??) and find the SFT tune to be as good if not better at mpg, towing and low-end torque. The negative, to some, is their regen cycle is more frequent than GDE's. However, I've read that GDE's longer intervals come at the cost of higher temps, maybe too high. The SFT transmission tune is likewise excellent. SFT has a lot of very satisfied customers.

I'm not badmouthing HD Diesel's or GDE's tunes as they are great tunes. I'm just offering my experiences and knowledge with SFT.
X2 to what John said in all respects

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I tuned out the EGR via GDE from about 40k miles. Drove up to their shop on the way to the Detroit Auto Show. Recently was getting EGR related codes so I removed it and went full delete with a tune from HD Diesel in Canada. My truck is at 100k miles and I fully expect it to run another 100k without major problems. And my summer mpgs hover around 28 riding on stock Rebel wheels and tires and 3.55 gears so I can't complain.

I don't know much about the PO299 code, maybe TC Diesel will chime in. I do know first hand an emissions intact tune is still susceptible to EGR codes, but a delete tune would eliminate those all together.

The way I see it, an EcoDiesel owner (in Ohio) has two options, keep it all stock and depend on the dealer for EVERY little thing that goes wrong and hope they are competent and fair; or take control, tune out or delete problematic emission systems and roll the dice that you don't spin a bearing. No tune is going to stop that. Neither are great options, but I like having control so I chose the latter and have been rewarded with no drama, just routine stuff along the way. It's been a good truck so far.

I am in Ross County. If you're in the area look me up.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I also opted for SFT, when I tuned my truck GDE was still out from the EPA shutdown. I went with a stage 1 with the rally trans tune, I love it, the regen status has been cut in half or theresbouts, I'm seeing a slight increase in fuel mileage, but under my current circumstances I can't drive to maximize my mileage. I had several conversations with John before I chose SFT. I changed the oil recently and expect it to look cleaner too.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
PO299 is a turbo underboost code try hd diesel they have a fix for it