• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 ram eco diesel blown 9300 miles

Jsn829

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi everyone, new to the site. Well 9300 miles on my ram 1500 and it started knocking (maybe a rod) then low oil pressure then boom. I have read other posts of others with the same problem but haven’t seen any other 2018’s. The dealer is looking at it now and will update me tomorrow. What’s the deal with this engine??? Also in the last 4-5 years why can’t they figure it out? Thanks for any info

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome.. It's just bad luck I guess. I've seen no info that would tell me Ram is working on it, or even acknowledges the issue. At least you have warranty that will take care of it for you.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
My 2014 with 187k km has recently developed a loud knock, very concerning as extended warranty has ended. Off to dealer tomorrow, and maybe new truck shopping as I’ve heard some scary quotes for engine replacements. Anyone actually know what a new motor is worth?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I see feb 4 when did this happen and what was the outcome?????

PM57

Mar 10, 2019
Truck Year
My 2014 with 187k km has recently developed a loud knock, very concerning as extended warranty has ended. Off to dealer tomorrow, and maybe new truck shopping as I’ve heard some scary quotes for engine replacements. Anyone actually know what a new motor is worth?
We have 3 Eco Diesel vehicles in my company.
one is a 2015, another is a 2016, and mine is a 2017.
We have replaced motors in the '15 and '16.
The 16' had 75K miles on it and was warranted. The 15" was at 150K and it cost $15,000 to replace the motor.
Both lost oil pressure suddenly, had a lot of metal in the oil at time of failure, both were maintained as recommended and at the dealer.

I haven't had any engine issues with mine and am at 55K.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Was the reason for the failures explained and was it the same issue with both? Thanks

Jsn829

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Under warranty mine was $14,000. The rod cap failed. Put a hole in the block.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm looking at $15K for a new motor installed. Not impressed.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Something in the bottom end is all they know now, lots of metallic in the oil and that the engine is done.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
It was a tough choice between a Tundra and the EcoD with fuel mileage and diesel "durability" pointing me at the Ram. Thats argument feels rather stupid now. Expensive lesson, stick with tried and true!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
It was a tough choice between a Tundra and the EcoD with fuel mileage and diesel "durability" pointing me at the Ram. Thats argument feels rather stupid now. Expensive lesson, stick with tried and true!
for me it is the fuel economy. I get 27 mpg mixed city and highway. I hope this is the first and last trouble you have. I have never had a minute's trouble with mine. If it is not under warranty I would have an independent diesel shop do it. I would have them machine the main bearings to get good clearance and use aftermarket rods. It should not be nearly as much as the dealer.

Last edited:

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
Hi everyone, new to the site. Well 9300 miles on my ram 1500 and it started knocking (maybe a rod) then low oil pressure then boom. I have read other posts of others with the same problem but haven’t seen any other 2018’s. The dealer is looking at it now and will update me tomorrow. What’s the deal with this engine??? Also in the last 4-5 years why can’t they figure it out? Thanks for any info
I FEEL YOUR PAIN,COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Tomahawk

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Yep these motors suck. Mine quite very similar at 115000km

Are you Canadian?
I’m currently trying to find as many people as possible to file complaints with transport Canada

Scissorshane

Apr 9, 2020
Truck Year
Well my truck did the same thing. Oil pressure light came on. Called dealerships where I get it serviced. They told me to check oil. If oil is good bring it in morning. Woke next morning no oil light. Half way to dealership bam. On side of road. Start to the poorly service I’m getting not from dealer as of right now. Decided to use my roadside assistance from Ram. First mistake in my town they have a truck center well I told wrong address had to change it. Charge me 109$. Whstever I broke down in the rain. Since it’s sat service isn’t open. I go get rental. First thing min morning call. They can’t find the key. The service manager told me see that truck been here 3 weeks waiting on new motor same problem as you. Great. Took 10 days to get a loaner now ram headquarters doesn’t want to reimburse me for full amount of rental $335 for $885 rental. Now the gloves are on. I’m glad I wasn’t pulling a horse trailer that morning. Let’s hope I don’t have to start blasting my story all over the rodeo circuits on how Ram has started out not to be customer driving. So now I wait for a new motor. I can’t haul horses anywhere because no loaner has a hitch for a gooseneck. Very inconvenient on a 2 yr old truck that still has a recal for past year with no part to fix recal which causes truck to catch fire. Wtf Ram.

Scissorshane

Apr 9, 2020
Truck Year
Well my truck did the same thing. Oil pressure light came on. Called dealerships where I get it serviced. They told me to check oil. If oil is good bring it in morning. Woke next morning no oil light. Half way to dealership bam. On side of road. Start to the poorly service I’m getting not from dealer as of right now. Decided to use my roadside assistance from Ram. First mistake in my town they have a truck center well I told wrong address had to change it. Charge me 109$. Whstever I broke down in the rain. Since it’s sat service isn’t open. I go get rental. First thing min morning call. They can’t find the key. The service manager told me see that truck been here 3 weeks waiting on new motor same problem as you. Great. Took 10 days to get a loaner now ram headquarters doesn’t want to reimburse me for full amount of rental $335 for $885 rental. Now the gloves are on. I’m glad I wasn’t pulling a horse trailer that morning. Let’s hope I don’t have to start blasting my story all over the rodeo circuits on how Ram has started out not to be customer driving. So now I wait for a new motor. I can’t haul horses anywhere because no loaner has a hitch for a gooseneck. Very inconvenient on a 2 yr old truck that still has a recal for past year with no part to fix recal which causes truck to catch fire. Wtf Ram.
Oh 2018 with 27k miles.