• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2019+ ecos issues and more

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I hope GDE has the tune soon, I've dealt with the Powers at NVFEL and EPA, very time consuming and costly.

In the mean time try to only drive in Hwy needs, and if you do drive city NO dart driving will aid in lower soot production. Keep your fuel tank full when convenient and try NOT to drop below 1/4 tank.

I have Not checked the 2019 for Urea sensor, So stay at 67/33, owners 2014-16 can use distilled water at 1 Gallon DS to 2.5 Gallons DEF this will dropped the concentration to 20/80 for the crystallized DEF injector issues. I have used My Eco at 10% Urea 90% DS 2015 issue free, My guess is the 2019 Eco's are 22% trigged Code like the Big Rams.

Yes the NOx Sensor is that for giving in those Years 2014-16.

Sundancekid

Feb 2, 2020
Truck Year
Hello! new here, i just bought a 2019 Eco-diesel. I have been reading a lot about the past engines and issues. But the details for these generations and the changes are very hard to find and even Wikipedia doesn't have much info on them.
I hoping this new thread will include peoples posts of experience, details on engines, tunes, and generational advantages and disadvantages. Please post your knowledge!

what generation is my engine? 3rd? what years are the generations and differences?

upcoming tunes for the 2019 version? C.A.R.B. legal tunes?

anyone having towing issues?

what about that smell of burning plastic? common?

again, I switched from a Silverado based on price and economy/love diesels. hoping we can get the most info to make these trucks worth keeping. We all know that some people on forums speak out of their asses, so keep the information viable and reliable.
:D
-Shawn
I am also new to the forum and just purchased my ecodiesel last night. 2019 Ecodiesel Laramie 4x4 with the 3.92 ratio and limited slip diff. I have a couple RAM 3500 dually trucks with the cummins for our business and think they are
great. I wanted this for personal use. I will be doing some towing and mostly freeway driving. I am curious to see how it does over time. Any recommendations for these trucks? has a little bit of “dead pedal”, but not sure yet if it is just a matter of getting use to it. I have read about the pedal commander and tuners. does anyone have feedback on that?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The BD Pedal commander does work, it just changes the APPS ,ticks the sensor into sending the Position is higher/more pedal. You won't see as great a difference as the BD Cummins commander. I would just adapt to the 3.0 driving before dropping the $$$.

The 3.0 Fairs good with HWY driving, grocery getting increases the risk of EGR/Plenum problems.

Keep your DEF/Fuel tank full when convenient, and try not to drop below 1/4, the in tank pump gets hot and prematurely fails. the return from CP4 and Injectors dumps warm/hot fuel right on top of the pump.

Some will Disagree with the DEF Tank IMO your better off keeping it full, I also have decades of Urea use and manufacturing, know it properties well, I have Never had a DEF problem in 13 Years of owning DEF Trucks, this includes Eco to class 8.

Sundancekid

Feb 2, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for the info. I will keep the DEF topped off! I will give it some time before I do any mods. I want this to last a long time

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the info. I will keep the DEF topped off! I will give it some time before I do any mods. I want this to last a long time
Good plan, I waited for over 3 years to mod my 15. Wanted to get all the info I could before jumping in. Hope your truck treats you right!

Hansmichael1388

Feb 1, 2020
Truck Year
My new truck is breaking in funny. It seems to be losing coolant I got a good deal on it, from rebates, but I'm about to file for lemon law. Jk i only have 700m on it check engine light already.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Update (3/6/2020):

ok, my truck has 3100 miles on it. my very first issue has arose! so yesterday i go to warm up the engine first thing before going to work. noticed it has a slight hesitation, but started normal. instantly, i had a "4wd service" light pop up. First thing I think is, hmmm.....strange right?
so fast forward to when i start driving home, my radio shuts off and my dash says "bat saving mode". very strange! first thing i check while driving is the battery level. it checks 12v. no known issues. i get home, jump on the forums, and start finding a trend. GROUND CHASSIS.
one forum some guys say check the torques on all the grounds. So, i do that. one bolt seemed slightly loose but not enough to cause a bad ground but i tighten it anyways. still no fix...
next thing i read another forum, apparently their are several cases of alternator ground nut backing off causing a intermittent connection. how common can a nut back off a alternator ground?

well bingo! the nut was hanging by 2 threads. sum bitch was almost gone. so i tightened it back on. everything works 4.0! i would recommend everyone checking the torque on this specific ground and hell all of them. It took me 5 minutes. Other guys in the forums said the dealers couldn't fix the issue after replacing radios and relays......so just check the damn nut so you don't waste your time with the dealer.

also, I removed all of the rubber that is laying on top of the injectors and the useless plastic to set aside. all of that may be a fire hazard.

I will continue to update with more found issues IF or when i come across them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Shawnmower87
Remove the cover on the CP4 also, Many problems are related to bad grounds, the next, bad connections, than shorted wiring, Awesome you put forth the effort to fix, it save you the hassle of the Dealership(y)

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Shawnmower87
Remove the cover on the CP4 also, Many problems are related to bad grounds, the next, bad connections, than shorted wiring, Awesome you put forth the effort to fix, it save you the hassle of the Dealership(y)
Thank you.

Can you describe or post a picture of the CP4 cover? I'm not familiar.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
…...…...
Removed Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpgRemoved Sound insul 3.0 ecodiesel.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
...……..V6-diesel 3.0 Ecodiesel.jpg

Hansmichael1388

Feb 1, 2020
Truck Year
DEF gauge isn't going down, I've gone through 1 tank of fuel already since I got it back from the dealership to fix a check engine light, they said it was a loose module connection. I have 1200 miles on my 2019 classic ecodiesel

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Everything I have read says to refill the DEF when doing an oil change, I added some to mine at about 5000 miles in on the oil life, the tank holds about 8 gallons, I put in about 3.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
update:

reached 10k miles. first oil change. 10-11 qaurts of valveline as recommended by manufacturer. lil change was the easiest of all vehicles I've ever owned. sent oil in for analysis. one thing I am starting to become annoyed with is fuel economy isn't as accurate or that great. towing a 6000lb rv trailer it does great! temps don't budge.
So far I am really happy with the truck overall. Being in Commiefornia, I am still weighing options on tuning it. dont know which company will be best bang for your buck (seeing as GDE just raised their prices...).

I shall update at next oil change.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Shawnmower87, I would like to see the Analysis, So if your up to it please post it, its one one the most informative doc's posted. Trends are what is needed so don't get to Xs, if the first one not a Stellar report.

Solduios

May 6, 2021
Truck Year
update:

reached 10k miles. first oil change. 10-11 qaurts of valveline as recommended by manufacturer. lil change was the easiest of all vehicles I've ever owned. sent oil in for analysis. one thing I am starting to become annoyed with is fuel economy isn't as accurate or that great. towing a 6000lb rv trailer it does great! temps don't budge.
So far I am really happy with the truck overall. Being in Commiefornia, I am still weighing options on tuning it. dont know which company will be best bang for your buck (seeing as GDE just raised their prices...).

I shall update at next oil change.
Change oil at 5k do your self a favor especially with diesels it get dirty fast. I regret selling my Eco Diesel maybe I had good luck no issues with mine and loved the low end torque. I might buy a 3rd gen or a chevy 3.0 diesel mid size truck.