• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2020 EcoDiesel sneak peak from TFLT

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
Stay away from the eco diesel. They f'd eveyone who had the original one from 14 to 16. I would go with the Hemi if you are going to buy a 1500. Plus they wacked everyone a premium on the motor and only giving us 3000 back and we are left with an f'd up motor after the recall.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Stay away from the eco diesel. They f'd eveyone who had the original one from 14 to 16. I would go with the Hemi if you are going to buy a 1500. Plus they wacked everyone a premium on the motor and only giving us 3000 back and we are left with an f'd up motor after the recall.
I was under the impression most ED owners think it's a great truck.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I was under the impression most ED owners think it's a great truck.
I only have 2100 miles on my 2018, but really like it so far. I'd like to see an actual failure rate of these trucks compared to the 5.7 engine.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I only have 2100 miles on my 2018, but really like it so far. I'd like to see an actual failure rate of these trucks compared to the 5.7 engine.
I don't think anyone but FCA knows the actual failure rate and they're not sharing. There was FCA email back in 2016 when the failure rate was 215/month.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds just like my 14. Now the official specs state changes to be new pistons, for combustion chamber changes, fuel injectors, EGR low and high pressure, block girdle. The block has always been compacted graphite. From the view of the engine compartment the coolant system has been redesigned, maybe to eliminate the air pocket issue. Nice that he mentioned the difference in tow rating from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
It's a mixed bag for sure. Mine had 7500 miles on it when I got it. Loved it the first year or so - until it repeatedly went into limp mode. Dealership took care of that the first two times. Then the EGR cooler cracked and I lost coolant. Then the AEM flash turned it into a gutless wonder. A couple members of this forum have contacts with FCA and at one point there were somewhere around 104,000 of these engines sold, and the failure rate (including catastrophic failures - requiring a new engine) was approaching 15%. NOT a good track record. I just traded mine in for a 2019 RAM Classic 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had it a week, and am averaging about 19.5 mpg - driving the same as I did with my EcoDiesel, which (after the AEM flash) was getting maybe 22 mpg. It had a terrible time pulling my RV on a 1500 mile vacation the last week of July, where a few years back, you couldn't tell the trailer was back there. I just didn't have warm fuzzies about the reliability, so opted for the more proven Hemi. We'll see.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
It's a mixed bag for sure. Mine had 7500 miles on it when I got it. Loved it the first year or so - until it repeatedly went into limp mode. Dealership took care of that the first two times. Then the EGR cooler cracked and I lost coolant. Then the AEM flash turned it into a gutless wonder. A couple members of this forum have contacts with FCA and at one point there were somewhere around 104,000 of these engines sold, and the failure rate (including catastrophic failures - requiring a new engine) was approaching 15%. NOT a good track record. I just traded mine in for a 2019 RAM Classic 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had it a week, and am averaging about 19.5 mpg - driving the same as I did with my EcoDiesel, which (after the AEM flash) was getting maybe 22 mpg. It had a terrible time pulling my RV on a 1500 mile vacation the last week of July, where a few years back, you couldn't tell the trailer was back there. I just didn't have warm fuzzies about the reliability, so opted for the more proven Hemi. We'll see.
Like we used to say "whatever lets you sleep at night" you should drive what you have confidence in. My 14 did not like the mountains going to Montana from Oklahoma and after the AEM I had doubts it could pull the RV at all, it had difficulty pulling the uphill start assist. I had 104K miles on when I purchased and installed the GDE tune, yes I looked at Banks and Sofa Kings Tune each are excellent tunes and have their own specific strengths and weakness, and made a choice. My truck now pulls the RV like no bodies business and highway mileage is right at 27mpg at 75 mph empty. Good Luck.

russell008cissy009

Dec 17, 2022
Truck Year
Thank is ashamed. My 2016 EcoDiesel Stock and still running 80,000+ miles a year . I am a Second Responder, and have had all recalls done to it except the new fuel pump. Everything original still there except the AC compressor.

Attachments

• 144882.jpg
    144882.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So...You have 371K miles on ALL Factory Virgin, engine, Trans, exhaust Intake parts and ....Just to be clear...In order for Me to verifiy ..You can PM Your VIN# to so I can check the History.

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
So...You have 371K miles on ALL Factory Virgin, engine, Trans, exhaust Intake parts and ....Just to be clear...In order for Me to verifiy ..You can PM Your VIN# to so I can check the History.
Let us know what you find out?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Data, I Foamed My Intake 3 Times in the 45K miles that I owned My 2015, The EGR and the Plenum needed replacement at 45K miles... 008 at 371K miles on Factory OEM virgin components seems unbelievable to Me, If 008s VM 3.0 went 371K miles HOW in the heck did this owner get this Truck to 371K miles? Thier are High mileage VM. 30s out there ,but everyone I know of has missing parts with Jail breaks.