• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5w40 Oil

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Wow. Just brought my truck in for its first service. Quoted the TSB, even provided a copy of it. They said they never seen it and TSB'S were accomplished by matching to the VIN. Ok, sounds reasonalble. They checked and came back and said the truck did in fact have the TSB and needed the new oil and flash. Funny thing is they told me it wasn't the same TSB. But when I look at the reciept, low and behold is the TSB number I had been reading the whole time. Sounds like to they were cough in a lie and covering thier ass. When I first walked in, I had asked what kind of oil was needed, and they said 0W40 bulk oil. So I gotta wonder what is in the rest of the eco's in my area and what the dealer is telling them. Odd.....
Exactly why I changed my own oil after the first thousand miles. You just can't trust most dealerships. And if you're like me, you don't trust anything unless you did it yourself.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Wish I had read this before I brought mine in for oil change yesterday. I posted in the Maintenance forum about my oil change. They didn't have the required oil to change it over to the new spec of oil yet. So I have the new old spec of oil in it now. Also, didn't know they would provide it for free...ugh woulda saved me $180! Will check back in a month or so and see if they have in stock and see about another oil change and getting it for free. After all they changed it for a reason right.
Especially since I was there I overheard them talking about a 2016 ram that was brought in the day before with engine failure. He had 14 k on it, was just bringing it in for its first oil change, and now it needs a new motor.

i've been looking for this post for a while, does anyone else see a problem, the guy was bringing it in for its first oil change with 14k miles on it, that's absurd and straight up negligence in my book

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
i've been looking for this post for a while, does anyone else see a problem, the guy was bringing it in for its first oil change with 14k miles on it, that's absurd and straight up negligence in my book

I wonder if ram denied warranty because of that??

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I wonder if ram denied warranty because of that??

It would be one of those circumstances if they did where I might actually agree with them denying it. If the guy had lots of testing and oil samples that showed with his driving habits that he could extend the interval that long then maybe, but bringing it in for its first hangs at 14,000 miles is ridiculous

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
With the new oil spec, has the service interval changed as well? I know to follow the % meter in the dash, but that doesn't tell me much except oil life. 10k still blows my mind....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
With the new oil spec, has the service interval changed as well? I know to follow the % meter in the dash, but that doesn't tell me much except oil life. 10k still blows my mind....

I don't recall seeing the interval changing. I could be wrong though.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I don't recall seeing the interval changing. I could be wrong though.

They said something in the TSB that the flash recalibrates how the oil life percentage deal works, but near as I can tell it's still right at 10,000 mile intervals

Patrick

Nov 30, 2016
Truck Year
Should the dealership's provide the new 5-40 oil for free in the 2016 eco-diesels?

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
They changed oil and filter and did the flash , even threw in the left over oil. No
charge marked as warranty

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
Took mine in with only 1800 miles on it and they did the flash, oil and filter at no charge.

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
So I am following along this string of information, FCA has changed the oil to 5-40 W , for all unsold 2016 models, and you need to Flash from the dealer. But no Flash up date for older models just yet?

I have the 2014, so if I change my own oil, to 5-40W, this is somehow going to effect my motor or ECM will throw a code, if I don't take it back to the dealer for the Flash?

Sounds crazy to me. The TSB talks about the PCM and the TCM updates, then goes on to talking about changing the oil & sticker on the cap.?
They are talking about new trucks that have not been sold, so don't worry about the filter change if i has less than 500 miles on it.

Fan Calibration, Transmission calibration, Revised oil change algorithm. ??

In the middle here trying to figure this one out. The dealer dose a piss pore job of the oil change, making a mess all over engine. that's why i do my own service work. They put on a real show just changing out the fuel filter. So I can't see just changing the oil and how it will effect this motor.
Help me out BoostN.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
The 5w-40 won't hurt your motor and won't cause a check engine light. The flashes are primarily concerning a transmission calibration and the pcm one is mostly for the fan calibrations, they state something about the oil life system too, but I personally don't see a difference in how that works, mine is still on what looks like a 10k mile interval.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Yea, it seems after the reflash, my milage has dropped. 28 hwy to 25 hwy. On a trip as we speak and am kindof disappointed. Deisel 1 could have something to do with it. Not sure. Also, the reflash has activated a downshift feature. Kindof cool, but again, maybe effecting my fuel milage.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Depending on where you live winter blend diesel could most definitely have an affect on mileage. The difference in 5w-40 vs 5w-30 will most likely not affect mileage.

Reactions: SLT

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
But the transmission recalibration could.
Yes, but it would seem there are too many variables to know for sure what is causing your decrease in mileage. Mine was within a mile per gallon after the updates, it's down about 3-4 mpg on average now, I attribute it to winter fuel and 4wd use and more idle time

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
The 5w-40 won't hurt your motor and won't cause a check engine light. The flashes are primarily concerning a transmission calibration and the pcm one is mostly for the fan calibrations, they state something about the oil life system too, but I personally don't see a difference in how that works, mine is still on what looks like a 10k mile interval.
Thanks Bobcat7; just what i thought.