• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AC upgrade - Radio unlock

ben

Feb 26, 2015
Truck Year
Question for an idea. I have a bighorn.. I don't like my climate control.. just wondering if I buy a used Laramie control, one with auto air.. mine is manual air.. question is do you think they run one type of wiring harness in the dash.. I had a F150 lariat, and the climate control gauge, button broke, I replaced it with one with more things on it.. it all worked except the heater in the seats which it really did not have in the seats. I am just looking to get the auto air to work I also realize in the radio it shows the climate control.. maybe it will update that?

Who knows.. maybe I am just crazy or wasting $200 on Ebay..

Also I want to put a lock pic in the radio to unlock it. and recommendation. Coastal Electronics in Melbourne sells one. $450+

Regards,
Ben

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Good question. I would love to know

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Do you have the 8.4a? If so, I believe the control would work but, you might have to have the computer flashed with whatever code it needs to recognize the auto part of the climate control.

I plan on adding the factory reverse camera to my bighorn. I've read that afterwards the computer needs to be flashed by the dealer for the camera to function. I think any mod you make to this system it needs to be programmed. I'd doesn't self recognize anything.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
There are probably plenty of folks who would like to know if this works. I love the Laramie climate control. Just set the temp once and forget. My Ridgeline had the same and it was nice to not have cold air blowing on my as it would not turn on the fan until there was heat. I hope the Ram works the same come winter although unlike my Ridgeline which had warm air within a quarter mile, I expect my EcoD to be cold for a bit ;)

Wait, and I already thinking about winter? We just got warm her in New hampshire ;)

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
There are probably plenty of folks who would like to know if this works. I love the Laramie climate control. Just set the temp once and forget. My Ridgeline had the same and it was nice to not have cold air blowing on my as it would not turn on the fan until there was heat. I hope the Ram works the same come winter although unlike my Ridgeline which had warm air within a quarter mile, I expect my EcoD to be cold for a bit ;)

Wait, and I already thinking about winter? We just got warm her in New hampshire ;)

Please don't say the W word!!!! Lol. I read somewhere that the transmission is the first priority for the heating system in these trucks. Iirc, it circulates through the tranny first. Once it reaches a certain temp then the heater core will heat up. Couple that with being a diesel and I think a winter grill bra will be in order if your only making a short trip.

Or you could just do what I do and let'er idle for 20 minutes before you go to work in the morning. :eek:

MaxSteelDave

Feb 9, 2015
Truck Year
I just had my engine heater plugged into a timer to come on for 2 and a half hours before I left for work each morning. Huge difference in the first drive of the day warm-up

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
Yes, I plan on doing that plus going to get the Mopar front cover.

ben

Feb 26, 2015
Truck Year
Question for an idea. I have a bighorn.. I don't like my climate control.. just wondering if I buy a used Laramie control, one with auto air.. mine is manual air.. question is do you think they run one type of wiring harness in the dash.. I had a F150 lariat, and the climate control gauge, button broke, I replaced it with one with more things on it.. it all worked except the heater in the seats which it really did not have in the seats. I am just looking to get the auto air to work I also realize in the radio it shows the climate control.. maybe it will update that?

Who knows.. maybe I am just crazy or wasting $200 on Ebay..

Also I want to put a lock pic in the radio to unlock it. and recommendation. Coastal Electronics in Melbourne sells one. $450+

Regards,
Ben

It wont recognize the other button for the climate control.. No auto control will light up, nor will the cold and hot work on both sides of the knob.. I also believe on the Laramie they have two fans and two sets of climate controls for the driver and passenger.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
It wont recognize the other button for the climate control.. No auto control will light up, nor will the cold and hot work on both sides of the knob.. I also believe on the Laramie they have two fans and two sets of climate controls for the driver and passenger.
I have a bighorn with dual auto climate control. It is the same system as in the Laramie I test drove. Unless Ram makes two versions of auto climate control?? They might though I have my doubts.

. Did you take it to the dealer to program the computer? Your 8.4a radio needs the firmware to operate the system. No different then any computer. You have the hardware installed now you need the software to control it.

The problem you might run into is your service center most likely won't have a clue. It amazes me how little dealerships in general know about there own products. Try asking in every forum you can find for what code you might need. If you do find an answer. You will most likely have to educate your dealer service center. So you need to know exactly what your talking about with them or you'll just get the default answer: that can't be done.

Good luck. Wish I was more help.

Last edited:

Dingo Diesel

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer told me navigation can be added to the 8.4a basically turning it into a 8.4an. Minus the 3d which I don't see much value to the 3d part of the navigation. So I'm betting they can add the climate controls too. I opted for the 8.4an dual zone climate controls and the 10 speaker system with subwoofer. Its the best stereo system I have ever had in a vehicle. The ram navigation system is a Garmin and from what I hear Garmin is one of if not the best.

MaxSteelDave

Feb 9, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer told me navigation can be added to the 8.4a basically turning it into a 8.4an. Minus the 3d which I don't see much value to the 3d part of the navigation. So I'm betting they can add the climate controls too. I opted for the 8.4an dual zone climate controls and the 10 speaker system with subwoofer. Its the best stereo system I have ever had in a vehicle. The ram navigation system is a Garmin and from what I hear Garmin is one of if not the best.
I did the nav upgrade online. It's easy and only takes a few minutes. And I don't miss the 3D since I never had it...

Dingo Diesel

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
They said the 3d works in the city mostly, I do my best to avoid the city, where I live that would be Washington DC. I absolutely wanted the automatic climate controls.my Honda had it and I guess I got spoiled with that and the heated seats. The heated steering wheel in my ram is still something I'm getting use too, its very odd thing since I have never had it in a vehicle before.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
The first time I got in when it was cold and grabbed that steering wheel though it was fantastic