• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Add me to the blown motor list

Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
Built 4/ 2014
Purchased 8/14
Bad engine knock At 9/16 with 29,000 miles.
Towed to dealer, chrysler wants the engine removed and torn completely down before deciding to repair or replace.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Another one bites the dust.. I wish we had a rhyme or reason why this is happening. Welcome to the site Jack.. hate you found us because of a blown motor though. Keep us updated.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Jack, tell us how you used your truck. Was it just a fuel sipping daily driver, or was it a trailer puller? What kind of oil did you use? Don't interpret this as looking to place blame.. I'm a scared new owner of a 16 wondering what may be coming my way.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Built 4/ 2014
Purchased 8/14
Bad engine knock At 9/16 with 29,000 miles.
Towed to dealer, chrysler wants the engine removed and torn completely down before deciding to repair or replace.

I think this is the first we heard of FCA allowing the dealer to do a tear-down beyond removal of the oil pad. please let us know what the dealer finds.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
I live in Florida and use the truck as a daily driver. We do tow a 5k trailer from campground and a 2.5k boat to the ramp.
Dealer did all the oil changes at every 8k.
Also had Def tank, injector and exhaust replaced because of engine codes.
When the warranty is up its being traded in.

Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
Update.
Chrysler called and asked if everything was ok with loaner while repairs were being done. I asked " what repairs?" They said the part was delivered yesterday . "What part?" I asked .
The engine was delivered to the dealer yesterday they responsed.
First I had heard of it.
I called the dealer and there story was different. They said I was approved yesterday.
At any rate they are installing a new long block and offered 10 free oil changes/ check ups.
I'm ok with it as long as I don't hear that everyone else is getting more.
I pray the next engine lasts the 200,000 I had planned on.
Jack

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
long block? So is it a different engine from the original version?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Now hopefully the diesel tech is experienced with this engine (probably not, since it's still so new) and can properly reinstall everything.

A long block doesn't have all the electrical and fuel system components. That always worries me as a engine factory is a controlled environment that allows these to go together with little margin of error.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Now hopefully the diesel tech is experienced with this engine (probably not, since it's still so new) and can properly reinstall everything.

A long block doesn't have all the electrical and fuel system components. That always worries me as a engine factory is a controlled environment that allows these to go together with little margin of error.
Hell 10 free oil changes/checkups is quite a bit of incentive from a dealer to keep you around when you figure in cost. Even with a more readily available less specialty oil

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
And at 7k intervals let alone the recommended 10k? And "average" 14k a year for a driver? May as well call it a 5 year free oil and dealer warranty

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Sucks that the motor blew up, glad to hear they're making it right and offering more than a kick in the pants after the long block is installed

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Did the dealer give a failure diagnosis?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Did the dealer give a failure diagnosis?

Good point.. I wish we could get more of these. The fix of just replacing the motor without finding the cause is baffling. Of course, just maybe FCA doesn't want to share what's going wrong.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Reminiscent of the GM Gen II small block, GM would replace the engine for valve guide seals, then destroy the engine so that after market could not get a-hold of the block to analyze and develop a remedy.