• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another engine blow up at 52k, any advice?

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
So I'm a single mom driving my two kids on a spring break vacation in my 2018 EcoDiesel with only 48-49k when we left. Drove from Montana down to Monterey CA, up to San Fran, then up to wine country.

On way home I start hearing what I thought was a Jake break but going up hill so that didn't make sense. In the 2-3 seconds it took to register what was going on I lowered my window and radio and realized it was me making the noise. I started to pull over when the engine light/low pressure oil came on. Got merged over in traffic, thankfully was able to get on the shoulder of an on ramp so mostly out of fast traffic.

Jumped out and checked oil, it was way over full (odd for a recently running vehicle right) and I noticed there was some oil around the plastic near the dipstick. I sat in the truck a bit and then checked oil again and under truck is a a crap ton of oil draining out onto the ground. (No idea why I checked oil, honestly, it's probably the only maintenance thing I know to do with an engine)

So, luckily it has 5 months of power train warranty left. Road side assistance towed me. Got the babies to a hotel as this was Sunday. Road side assistance said they don't cover a rental vehicle except under certain conditions...

So Monday comes, I'm 10 hours from home, I'm missing work, I'm stuck in the only hotel within walking distance of the dealership, 175/night, no pool, nothing for kids to do. Blessed to have a restaurant for evening meals next to hotel but otherwise it's a half hour walk or more to a gas station. No grocery shopping etc.

Dealership says they can't look at my truck let alone work on it until the following Monday, but they can trade it in. (Haha no)

I call customer care again. They know who what vehicle I have and ask if that's what it's about, yadda yadda. They transfer me and that gal wants my vin. Don't have it. Asks for my phone number but for some reason that doesn't find me either. So she says to call back when i have the vin. Truck is a 15 min walk in freezing temperatures with a 7 and 9 year old kid. No. Not doing it. So I reason that they knew when I called, there had to be another way. She says no. I ask for a supervisor she HUNG UP on me.

So I call back about to lose my sh$# and this one is helpful. He says he's authorized to cover a 3 day rental at 40/day. An economy car right now is 60/day. And there is an additional charge for a one way rental that would all be out of my pocket.

So my dad agrees to drive down and get me and the truck. Taking it to a local dealership rather than making a 20 hour trip twice but he couldn't leave until Tuesday and so we ended up with three nights in a hotel, lots in extra fuel, etc...

Do you all have any experience in what I can get them to cover? This was a pretty miserable experience and there is nothing except a design flaw that should cause a modern engine to blow at 52k. I don't tow with it, I drive it. That's it. I'm a rather salter human. As soon as this thing is repaired I'm trading it in which cause additional problems because I was planning to buy a camper this year, not a new truck :( I mean what a wreck to our little life all because I had faith in a brand.

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
Very similar situation my has been at a dealer 3 hrs from my house almost a month and no rental or loaner still no progress being made except the diagnosis and a crappy offer to get me out of it and pay full price for a much lower package truck. Now they tell me an inspector is coming to look at it a month later after the dealer already pulled the truck apart and pulled the filter and drained the oil.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
All that time on your hands and you couldn't hit a neon sign and get Chris Lane to sing "I don't know about you" (but I'd ditch that eco-d :) & hitch a ride home.

Being serious now - that report of oil level high must be something tied to failure.
You might have additional trip coverage on auto insurance or VISA card policy for example. No experience on roadside claims. Repair might take a while tho, as new engines were in short supply.

Other engines in FCA are good. It's a bit like Range Rover and their TDV6 as well = early failures, SOL

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
So, update.

They say it needs a new engine. Half inch hole in the block. She's hoping they can get the order placed by noon tomorrow and then have it by mid next week. They are in stock but coming from down south.

They say they will now reimburse a loaner but here loaners are 60/day and that's a lot extra put of pocket :( currently driving my mom's car but they need it back....

Looking into the Chevy/GMC EcoDiesel. This sucker is getting sold ASAP.

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
Now after the dealer refused to work on my truck the area manager got involved and they asked for an inspection. I told them I wasn’t comfortable with that after the dealership told me they wanted to wash their hands with my truck and told me they don’t get reimbursed for the work. And they said it would be OK and of course they understood my concerns now I get a call yesterday from my Stalantis claim rep and she says the tech did the inspection and found out that whoever did my oil change put the wrong filter on. Then I complained and went through the situation and explain that it’s a first party Warranty that they need to fix it anyway and then it’s their job to subrogate Firestone who did the oil change My truck has been at the dealership since March 11th I was told it needed a new motor and turbo and they pulled the oil filter and there were metal shavings in the filter. They told me they needed to take digital images and send them to ram and that’s what they did the GM even tried to buy my truck and sell me another truck? There is no possible way that the dealership put an oil filter full of metal shavings back on the truck. I even confirmed that with the service manager from the dealership I bought the truck at it was definitely too long to do an inspection. And the possibility of dealership tampering is very high. The Stalantis claim rep called me back a little while later and asked me for all my service records which I have and the last oil change. The receipt has the proper oil and oil filter notated and all service records were up-to-date and oil changes done like every six or 7000 miles. I asked her to send me the photos that the inspector took showing the wrong oil filter and the photos that the dealership told me they took when they said they sent photos to ram. That was yesterday evening and she told me she had approval from the area manager to send me the photos that the inspector took, but she couldn’t send me the photos from the dealership because they own the photos according to her. This is absolutely ridiculous and FCA will do anything to get out of replacing a motor if they can. I sent her all the service records in one email, and I also sent a second email with the last oil change receipt and the filter and oil type in them out highlighted. Also sent the part number for the Mopar filter and all compatible filters with the filter that was used in the oil change highlighted. What she said was they used a GEN two filter instead of a GEN three as far as everything I have read all eco-diesel 2014 to 2019 used the same filter and all 2020 through present use a different filter mine is a 2018 and they used a PZ 189 f which is on the list of compatible filters. I called her again today and left her a voicemail asking her to call me back and she never responded so we will see what the final outcome is and why they wanted service records and I questioned that because of my claim was denied, why did they need service records and she didn’t have an answer for me.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So, update.

They say it needs a new engine. Half inch hole in the block. She's hoping they can get the order placed by noon tomorrow and then have it by mid next week. They are in stock but coming from down south.

They say they will now reimburse a loaner but here loaners are 60/day and that's a lot extra put of pocket :( currently driving my mom's car but they need it back....

Looking into the Chevy/GMC EcoDiesel. This sucker is getting sold ASAP.

GM is likely to stop production on its 1/2 ton DSL...unless you're driving 60k+ miles yearly go gas.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Me... Let see Now, I forecasted That VM 3.0 back in 2016 were failing (Puke engines) at a rate 250 weekly, Verified correct, Mid 2015 I publicly declared that VM 3.0 had conditional tuning the EPA agree with Me, Jan 2017. 2018 I forecasted the failures would continue 2017+ Verified correct, I forecasted Ford would stop Production of its 1/2 Ton DSL 2020, 2021 again forecasted Ram will be stopping production of the 1/2 DSL correct again. I also stated 2020 Plus VM 3.0s will be failing also in long term ownership in 2025+ you be reading all about those failures, Because the technology used was dropped by Cat, Cummins, Detroit, and others. GM simply cannot waste resources on a DSL powerplant at current production rates ..Waiting to post correct again..... WHY Buy DSL 1/2 The gas Motors excel in every category, Less Cost Buying, less Maintenance, Insurance, No DEF, DPF, Liquid cooled EGR, Glow plugs, Grid heater, No DEF pump, injector. MPG is a tie $ VS $ due to DSL current price VS Gas. Pulling Buy 3/4+ trucks , 1/2 DSL trucks are just a road hazard 6K+ ground pressure. Gas (5.7L) Will pull any 6K- Wagon's Just fine.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If Someone would manufacture a dependable engine for the 1/2 Ton I would buy it..I gave Ram a shot in 4.25 Years of ownership, and Like My wife commented, she never seen me baby sit a truck more than the Ram 1/2 ton VM 3.0 in the entire fleet of trucks I own and have owned.

GM, 3.0 is just to over engineered. K.I.S.S was not employed in its design.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
My 2014 EC 1500 was in the shop for almost 9 months. Ram finally replaced everything from the gas tank to the engine upper end parts: fuel line, all sensors, high pressure pump. Injectors, etc, etc. The had to replace catalytic converter and its sensors. I’ve reported this all before on this site.

This woman’s problem and others responding to this post need to know that Diesel engines are NOT daily drivers or grocery getters. The engine requires constant long driving for a Diesel engine to run properly and lubricate efficiently.

Mine crapped out at 92K. Immediately got rid of it and bought the 5.7L V8. Ram will do almost anything to NOT fix or replace the EC motor. They hope you wear you out with delay and BS when it comes to this engine. Since I owned other vehicles I outlasted them. Most people cannot. IMHO, if you own an EC engine truck or Jeep, GET RID OF IT! It’s a time bomb waiting to blow up your wallet.

That’s my 2 cents worth. I will gladly supply my saved paperwork to anyone who does not believe me.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Thank you for the replies everyone. I haven't heard from the dealership so I need to call today. I was hoping to pick the damn thing up this week.

The tow capacity and fuel economy is what keeps me wanting a diesel. I mean really the gas engines that have any tow capacity get 14/18mog highway vs the diesels getting 26-29 depending on year. I don't tow all the time, and need a daily driver and a truck and just can't spring for two vehicles at this time (unless I go older on both which brings other worries) so.... Im pretty sold on the in line 6. It does seem to be a good engine, now it will be finding one I can afford. Trucks are stupid money right now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My Limited 5.7 gets 19/21 Hwy 70MPH, My 2015 VM 3.0 was 22/24 HC, My Best VM 3.0 was 30 MPG 65 MPH 1 time.. Most of those MPG on VM 3.0 are L-O-M results/most don't HC... My 2019 Limited 5.7 Avg last Tank 16.7 MPG City/HWY... My 2015 VM 3.0 Records show it was 19.7 Back in April 2019... The MPG advantage the VM 3.0 was erased by 2019+ Gas powerplants and the price +- of DSL vs GAS.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
I think the idea, lore, sound and at-the-pump emotional economy of a diesel are driving the desire. Like most consumer things behavioral. I did for me, & I was clueless in 2015.

My wife's BMW X5 45e is 4L/100km from factory. Less than a Fiat 500 which runs at 6L/100. That's insane!
Not a single issue with it through 30K miles.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
I think the idea, lore, sound and at-the-pump emotional economy of a diesel are driving the desire. Like most consumer things behavioral. I did for me, & I was clueless in 2015.

My wife's BMW X5 45e is 4L/100km from factory. Less than a Fiat 500 which runs at 6L/100. That's insane!
Not a single issue with it through 30K miles.
I don't agree with this statement. I'm not in love with Diesels. They're more of a pain in the a$$. But if you compare the tow capacity of a 2022-2024 Chevy or GMC diesel to their gas engine tow capacity, it is significantly different. Then to get the tow capacity even close you have to go with the larger gas engine, which gets WAY less fuel economy. Trust me, I've considered gas. But from what I can tell it's only 2-3k more for a used diesel vs used gas, and the difference in fuel economy, supposed reliability, etc, make the diesel a win. And sadly I can't afford to drive a 2500 or 3500. I'm stuck with one vehicle for the foreseeable future and this is Montana, so going anywhere is going to be 1.5-2 hours each way at the least. My parents live an hour away, I visit every weekend. The ski hill is 40 mins away I go multiple times a week in the winter. I'd love to have a camper, so that is hauling something 1-3 hours each way and hopefully that will be most weekends.

It's not a love of something diesel, at least not in America. It is truly a need driven decision.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Still don't have a truck ... Last I talked to the joke of a "case manager" she couldn't tell me where an Engine was, how long it would take to get here etc. She said she would call the following week. She did not, and that would have been last week. I need to call someone tomorrow. I requested a supervisor call me. Never heard a peep.

RAM sucks. They have lost my loyalty for literally ever.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its VM Motori / Fiat you need to target Your dis-loyalty. The 0.50-0.75 difference in price plus $2-3K more used Vs the risk and additional operating costs tip the scales in favor of Gas. My 2019 Ram limited in the same 4 Years of ownership Eco 2015-19, 5.9 2019-23 has cost me - 829.00 less. that's not including the repair cost of the Plenum at 42K miles covered by Warranty, or the additional cost of the DSL engine when bought new. The 2019 Has cost me 0.00 in repairs. The battery and EL Steering unit was replaced by Warranty in the 2019. VM Motori Sucks.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
The 5.9 doesn't tow what the 6.x (sorry can't remember ( can, and when you jumo to that engine the fuel economy drops significantly. Don't get me wrong, for a daily driver, a diesel truck is not a wise choice, I agree with you there. I'm looking at diesel primarily due to towing needs or honestly I'd just get a Subaru and call it a day.....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
A Subaru is NOT a Tow Vehicle other than a small travel trailer.... I towed a couple of times with My Eco...My Wagons are still within the MFG tow Ratings MT witch are equal to it's MPG , very overrated. No way do I want to tow over 7000LBS ground pressure... with My 1/2 tons. I use my 3500/2500s for that. The Risk is just to great...WHAT's that famous saying " that's the best flying I ever seen right up to when you crashed and burned." Thier's just NOT enough power or iron in any 1/2 ton for emergencies (Events) that Can develop at HWY Speeds to maneuver safely to avoid a crash.