• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone change their own oil?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Solarvic your freaking rock! Appreciate it!!!!

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
Please up date us with Kendal specs and where can we pick this up.
Ken%20GT-1%20Full%20Synthetic%20Euro%20MO%20TDSw%20826309 Here is the oil spec for the kendall oil. I bought 2 oil changes Friday night and it arrived on Wednesday. They even sent rubber gloves to change the oil. Surprized that Chrysler charges so much for an oil filter made in China. When I need more filters I think I will get the ones that Shawn gets.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yea I found out that my $69 Mopar filter is made in China. Pretty disappointed. Next oil change I'm gonna be more diligent in my research. I have too much $$$ in this first one.

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
Just ordered my first oil change. Thanks for the link Solarvic.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I just purchased a Ram with EB.
Can I get under the truck and get to the oil plug? Also is the filter a pain in the neck to change. I like to do my own preventative maintenance.
The filter is amazingly easy to change it's a cartridge style accessible from the top drivers side. Drip tray and everything it's great. The whole oil change is simple. Takes longer to dump 11 quarts of oil back into it than anything.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone tried the champion oil yet? I found it for $9.00 a quart with free shipping with my $ 20.00 coupon. Have to buy 2- 2/2 gal jugs @ $180.00 other wise it cost $199.99 without coupon. Also found the Kendal oil change kit mopar oil filter and 11 quarts Kendal for 119.95 + 4..95 shipping.
I run the champion syngold oil in mine. I got it from Auto anything. I purchased 4x6qts enough for 2 oil changes + a little. It was about 160$ shipped free and eBay oil filters from Auto parts super store. 3 for 30$ as Shawn does.

Oil seems good. Haven't had it sampled though.

Speaking in US Dollars but it costs me all of 85$ or so to change myself. Versus 180 dealership

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
First change in the books. It was very easy. However, I only added 10qts and it ended up being slightly over filled. I don't have a handy drain valve installed so I'm leaving it.

I thought these took 11qts. I warmed the oil before draining and let it drain until it only had drips left.

Hmmm.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
10.5 qts.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
You can get filters on Ebay less. They sell are both OEM and aftermarket. Just be sure you get the ones with the " O" ring near the top of the filter stem. Reno's Garage sells OEM's at a little less than most dealers.

As for oil:

Mobil 1 ESP 5-30 ... Castrol Edge European 5-30...Kendall GTI Euro 5-30 (cheapest on Ebay and Amazon)...NAPA (I forget the model) 5-30...Champion Syn Gold 5-30...Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5-30...Rotella T-6 5-30...Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5-30 and probably more all meet Chrysler MS 11106 and ACEA -3 ratings. It's those "low ash" ratings you are looking for.

Most all those oils are available with the Mobil available at Pep Boys and most others available on line. Nothing Walmart sells has the proper ratings. Same with Advanced Auto Parts. Don't bother looking there.

RansRAM

Nov 14, 2015
Truck Year
I have a fumoto valve on mine, made my second oil change a breeze.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a fumoto valve on mine, made my second oil change a breeze.
They're nice..

Yep! The only bad thing about those you have to wait until your second oil change to see the benefits! :D

RansRAM

Nov 14, 2015
Truck Year
They're nice..

Yep! The only bad thing about those you have to wait until your second oil change to see the benefits! :D
LOL, you are correct as the first one was a bit of a mess.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I didn't make too much of a mess with my first change but I got a bad seal on my original valve and had to switch it.

But boy did that valve make draining all the oil (quart by quart into the original clean containers) make life easier when I had to re do my oil change.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I love changing the oil on my ecodiesel and dart. Now my oil samples are dead on spotless, but stay away from liqui moly oil. Both my samples on the dart and ed came back with warnings. The Kendall gt1 is the best oil according to CAT SOS and the t6 is second. If the filters I was using were bad quality or had low filtering performance I would tell people and stop using them, but so far they have been perfect and still give me lower microns on metals from what I'm downloading from other ed owners samples, and I have 5x more hours on my samples than normal people. I'm super happy with my $60.00 oil changes and the 30 min I takes to change my oil.